Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the best 18 year olds in world football?

• 19-03-2023 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭

Since Evan Ferguson looks very very special, 18 is very young to be excelling to his level.

who are the other 18 year olds in world football who are showing up like Ferguson is?

I’ve got

Gavi

Moukoko

Bajcetic

Garnacho

any others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Could add Mathys Tel to that list.

Playing at Bayern Munich.

Also that young lad up front for PSG, Zaire-Emery. Is he 18? Might even be younger. Looks a great talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I had checked Zaire emery and he’s only 16.

xavi simons is 19.

I’ve not follow Mathys Tel bar knowing his name

Tel is 17

Andrey Santos is 18, signed by Chelsea. Doing the stuff at Vasco da gama currently

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Going all patriotic and over the top with evan ferguson in hope more than anything

Not really, he’s our most promising player in god knows when and compared to other lads his age in the world he’s close to all of them apart from Gavi. He deserves the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Was gonna mention Andrey Santos. Never seen him play but the reports are positive

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Everyone went over the top on Parrott because he was on Spurs books, didn't really show anything other than having a contract at a top club at senior level.

Ferguson is playing regular senior football now in the Premier League and scoring goals.

Not sure that entirely true, spurs fans were quite excited about Parrott as well. It wasn’t just Irish fans.

personally I wouldn’t be writing him off yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Parrott was acting the big time charlie before he'd kicked a ball in anger, hanging around with drug dealers and various ropey characters. He eye has been off the ball for some time.

Well that’s a different issue. I think there’s a lot of talent in Parrott but he’s not got the same focus as a Ferguson. It’s the same I would argue for Robbie Brady. Brady has had a decent career but with more application and less proneness to the comfort zone got have had much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Brady made a couple of very brave moves in his career imo. Wasn't happy to sit on a bench at United and went to get first team consistent PL football.

Ironically I think if he'd have stuck around United after the 2nd loan spell at Hull he'd have gotten a decent amount of playing time in the immediate post Fergie era as I could see both Moyes and LVG liking him.

Injury eventually got the better of him and I definitely would say he could have made a bigger move than Hull after his loan there. Happens to plenty of players unfortunately just didn't get the breaks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Hasn't Parrot been hanging around with a criminal element. As you say he's not focused on his career as you would like.

He wasn’t really sitting on the bench at united, he was getting the odd run in early league cup games but not even sure if he ever made a bench appearance at a league game. If I could ask one question to Alex Ferguson it would be about Brady and how talented he was compared to the other great talents he coached. Maybe Brady achieved near to his potential but I’ve heard suggestions that he just didn’t have that drive to really excel

It’s disappointing. They were his friends growing up unfortunately. God knows what he would have got into if he didn’t have football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Lesley Ugochukwu is one to watch at Rennes. He's a CM and played in their 2-0 win over PSG at the weekend. He also popped up with an assist. He looks quite tall and gangly but is surprisingly graceful. His style is reminiscent of Patrick Vieira.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

A heap of Argentinian players would make up the majority of the best youths in the world, many who flatter to deceive in time, and for various reasons, their development stunts.

But when talking purely of 18 year olds and youngsters, Argentina have no peers in the raw talent they produce. Having 3 World Cups to me, just shows how they've underachieved in world football.

There's a fallacy that Brazil are synonymous with the word football, the reality is the most football mad country is Argentina, they live and breathe it.

Unfortunately the development, foresight and vision is brutal in the country, in no small part due to divided club loyalties in the AFA, and pull of ultras, and general political corruption in the game in Argentina, holding it back for decades.

But no country consistently produces players of such a natural ability than Argentina. If they'd get their house in order and harness it, the rest of the football world may as well forget about it

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Well there's more complete tosh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Clearly isn't. Football is everything in the country, intrinsically ingrained in every facet of Argentinian life, social, political, illegal etc.

It's stunted the game and ability of the governing body with infighting to put structures in for the youth to develop for years, yet in spite of that they win a world cup.

Brazil it could be argued produce bigger more physical, but technically complete players, who adapt better to the international environment and league's. Argentina produce the smaller, but even more technically skilled, visionarys.

Argentina produce mercurial wonderkids, who's progress is often stunted

this will be fascinating to look back on in 10 years to see how Ferguson done vs the competition

Advertisement