Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cricket 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

46 run win.. that is a fairly convincing margin of victory.... very well played... we have to be slightly favourites going into the decider...

A few absolute rabbits down that Zimbabwean lower order... certainly a reward for taking early and consistent wickets... get into em.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good competitive games so far this series. Good win in the end, that run out of Burl by Campher was the turning point in latter part of game. Lucky but couldn't happen to a nicer fella - wiped that smirk off his face!

Been a great series, I’ve really enjoyed it, great that it’s been accessible to watch…..

Yes, we were in need of a wicket at that stage, very grateful for the run out.

Bad news is a lot of rain showers scheduled for Harare on Monday morning and afternoon.

maybe the forecast will improve over the next 36 or so hours, hopefully. Both sets of players and supporters alike deserve a thrilling decider and an entertaining climax to this excellently entertaining 3 match series. Be a shame if it ended as a damp squib, for all concerned…

Forecast has slightly improved but from what I’m seeing there is still a possibility of rain showers so getting 100 overs might be difficult.

a slight TA though is the number of bonafide news websites in Zimbabwe that have no weather, at all 😵‍💫 which is more then a bit bizarre considering the extremes they get, 🫣 thought maybe viewing the forecast at source might have been the most reliable avenue to obtain the most accurate info but….

Washout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭VillaMad

A shame today that the game couldn't be completed. The previous two games were thrillers and no doubt today's would have been the same.

Just confirmed as well is the Bangladesh tour for March/April which includes a test match!:

Wednesday 15th March 2023

Warm-up match

18th, 20th and 23rd March 2023

3 ODI's

27th, 29th and 31st of March 2023

3 T20's

4th - 8th April 2023

Test Match

Yep, only 13 overs of the Zimbabwe batting innings completed and no further play.

A shame as we bowled well enough… Zimbabwe innings finishing 55/1 after 13. We could have had a couple more wickets. Only bad luck and fine margins prevented us.

Ladies going well enough against the West Indies but two handy dropped catches and the butchering of an easy runout opportunity sees West Indians just one wicket down instead of 3 or maybe 4.

as I typing more misfields, a single turns into a four.

another easy catch dropped, this is fûcking ridiculously bad… following delivery… 4.

and again, dreadful, through her hand….they’ve lost it..

in my years watching cricket I’ve never witnessed anything like the poor fielding and catching…

it might lose them the match.

Edit : it lost them the match.

Post edited by Strumms on

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Some very strange goings on at Cricket Ireland. The coach Heinrich Malan is being 'rested' for the Sri Lanka tour? I never heard the likes of this before. It's not like this tour is at the end of a big long schedule, Ireland haven't played a game since January, how does a coach needs a rest!! CI have spent years and years crying out for more games, and now hey finally have them our coach can't commit to a big tour. He's hardly out there bowling 20 overs a day or batting 3/4 hours, what rest does he need. Surely when he took the job, he realised he might actually have to go on our. I really can't believe how flippant Ireland are now that they're finally getting the games they craved. Test cricket has gone from being the ultimate dream, to being a format the coach and star batter couldn't be fussed about. After years of dreaming about test cricket, we're going into a test, by choice, without our best batter, best bowler and our coach!!

This also sets a really bad precedent, can players now pick and choose tours. David Delany had his call up pulled because he wanted to return to Oz after the the Bangladesh series, to complete commitments he made after initially being ignored. He must be pissed off watching a coach pick and choose his games, while he's punished....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

India coming to Malahide for 3 T20 matches in August 😀

India T20I home series

• Three T20Is between 18-23 August: Ireland Men v India Men (Malahide) – match dates TBC

• Advertisement

Malan is 41 years of age.

his position with Cricket Ireland is full time.

nobody put a gun to his head to sign that contract.

I wonder is this an ‘exit strategy’ of sorts.

sorry, but you don’t accept the job with the responsibility it bears to go missing, that’s BS, disrespectful to everyone involved in irish cricket…. players, the organisation & supporters.

the statement from irish cricket…Performance Director Richard Holdsworth in a recent release when 27 central contracts for the men were announced…

"While fans enjoy the top year of cricket to come, one thing we should always be mindful of is the toll – both physical and mental – that a busy playing and travelling schedule may take on both players and coaching/support staff. For example, there is a 140-day period coming where Ireland Men will be touring or in camp for 115 of those days.

“As such, fans will on occasion see a greater level of player and staff rotation to manage risk of burn-out. With increased focus on the mental health and emotional strain that the global game places on players and staff, we have to carefully consider our options."

PR bôllocks to be fair.^^^ sounds like this disappearing act was planned and factored in….. 🙄

Teams, cricketers, management and support staff have been spending months away, for years…across the globe. Months !!! Full time gig.

Australia Ashes team and staff will be away from early June till about early August….

unless it’s an ill family member, which it obviously isn’t given the statement above, that could easily have been intimated at…..it realistically translates into…. “ I’d like the gig but at my discretion I’ll dive in and out, just because “

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not going too badly in the first ODI v Bangladesh this morning. Bang are 125/3 at 25 over mark. Need to keep taking wickets mind

Tector has just gone for 22 in the 35th over and Bangladesh now 205/3

I see another wicket taken now but a lot of damage done with that last pair. What are we looking at 300+?

It’s going to be around 335 unless we take a couple of wickets.

needing around 6.7 an over…hmmmm… Ahmed gone.

338/8 after 50

no free broadcasts in Europe.

some sketchy looking site based over there you can pay a fiver to watch it, not going there.

6.78 the RRR

You made a good prediction! So what do you reckon for us?

I'll predict a slow start, pressure to score and all gone for 150 max.

Be great to be wrong, but can't really see it happening.

Don't see us chasing that down too easily

Need to be up with the rate, on it from the get go...

Possible but difficult..

We can't lose early wickets..

Edit : we lost an early wicket, Stirling gone for 6. But ultra edge saves him he nicked it so lbw overturned.

3.5 overs we are 12/1…. Slow start, only one four, no other boundaries. A serious number of dot balls I’m seeing.

It's on clubber tv but tenner cost

• Advertisement

A 15 run over, much needed…. Still too much daylight between the actual run rate and the required. But the wickets all intact is encouraging .

23 dot balls by my quick count, 11 overs…. Too many

Doheny out.

80/5… needing 8.23 going at 4.42 … we are done, start the car. Ffs.

Required run rate creeping further up…. More dot balls than scoring delivers.

in the last 8 overs only 4 boundaries.

155 all out. Beaten by 183 runs

Well I was slightly pessimistic above in prediction but only a little. Been following Irish cricket this past little while and you get an idea of what they're about. Gave away too big a score today and we often have a slow start, so the pressure was going to build quickly. Am I right though in being surprised that it was their quick bowlers that did the damage to us? We often seem to play this better and go a bit headless against spin.

Balbernie was a little unimpressive in his post match interview….I’m reading him saying some comment about his team being unaware of their surroundings but no excuses, why mention it then ? Balbernie scored 5 off 12 to be coming out with guff like that…

dreadful performance.

Balbernie 5

Tector 3

Tucker 6

Campher 16

the middle order totally capitulated. Virtually the core of our batting talent…4 batsmen, scoring 30 between them…. New Zealand, West Indies, South Africa you might say, ok tough day at the office, beaten by the better side but….Bangladesh ? Can beat us for sure and are certainly on the up and indeed their ICC ranking shows, they are ahead of Ireland, but that kind of a hammering ? Jesus.

Keeping an eye on ODI, seemed to have a good start in terms of keeping runs down but only managed 1 wicket in first 10. Now at 170/2 after 30 and looking at 300ish. Can't see it happening again away from home, their quick bowlers destroyed us a couple of days ago.

Their batsmen destroyed our bowlers and their bowlers destroyed our batsmen.

338/8 vs 155 all out.

our middle order just capitulated again. A 183 run defeat ffs.

Battered for 349/6 today! Looks like the rain may save our blushes a bit. Maybe there'll be a quick crash/ bash target set.

Match abandoned

• Advertisement

their number 6 scored 100* from just 60 deliveries. Good player.

Might as well swing it and wing it. See what DLS says.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement