Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cricket 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Phew! Couldn't see that ending well. Will we have a better chance in the 20 over games do you think?

I see we have a test as well, could be a learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We’d have been thrashed let’s face it. No way with current ability / form we’d chase that down. Our middle order is in no sort of nick.

Unfortunately the weather forecast for Sylhet on Thursday is for scattered thunderstorms….

sadly it is pretty unseasonal weather, usually dry, very warm and sunny in March there I’m reading… but I think the problem in that part of the world is when it rains it’s often pretty heavy, long lasting and torrential. So the ability to cover or clear the cricket ground of covers and water in good time to get even a reduced number of overs is often not doable.

hopefully that forecast improves..fingers crossed..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They just beat England 3-0 in t20 so I don't fancy our chances there either

Hopefully we get one competitive game out of the series. Maybe with a bit of luck on our side and a slice of complacency on Bangladesh part. On evidence so far, not quite at the races.

Weather forecast seems to have improved somewhat… ‘some’ heavyish rain still forecast but only supposed to be the odd shower of it which is welcome news considering the forecast earlier in the week. 30 degrees so that should dry any outfield in reasonable time.

Be great if we could square the series

• Advertisement

Ireland 23/3 after 9 overs. Dot balls galore. 2.56 the run rate...

Worst possible start ffs.

3 boundaries in 54 deliveries.

27/4 ... after 10 jeeez.. start the car

Looks like it'll be a short day at the office for Bangladesh. What's gone wrong with us? Their quick bowlers are going through us like a hot knife in butter, little resistance from the top order. Way to go yet I guess but is this shaping up to be our worst series?

You'll have Balbernie along at the end. BSing out of him as usual " tough conditions out there, that we are not used to but sure lookit, the experience will stand to the lads"

The experience championship table is where its at eh Andrew,

68/6 now after 19

Post edited by Strumms on

Seems Balbirnie won the toss for the third time, why he choose to bat I wonder? A change? 6 down now I see - all over the shop. Will we even reach a 100?

Yeah, it's a head scratcher...

Might make 100 but won't get up near 200... or close... not enough wickets left is my guess

I spoke too soon... 8 down...FFS !!!

Edit : 101 All out.... jaysus

Post edited by Strumms on

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea why it's the quick seam bowlers that are doing us in? I had the impression we were fairly steady against this but more troubled by spin.

Josh Little needed for a bit of a threat in the bowling dept.

If this lot get off to a solid start, we could be looking at a 10 wicket win for them. I suppose miracles can happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Arguably the worst performance since Irish Cricket went professional. They look like club cricketers, bad club cricketers at that. It's bad enough they have been comprehensibly outclassed, but they haven't even shown any fight.

On the Josh Little front, Little's Irish career hasn't long left I'd imagine. Now that he's a regular on the T20 circuit I can't see where he fits in time to play for Ireland, especially such a poor Ireland team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭VillaMad

It's a head-scratcher for sure. Ireland had a really decent 2022 and were pretty much competitive in every game they played and now to go this series where it is unquestionably the worst series any Irish cricket team has ever played in and it's not even close.

I mean Bangladesh are a decent side but no more than that and although I certainly thought Bangladesh would win this series, this is amateur from Ireland and that is being kind in the extreme.

Lambs to the slaughter.

Morale must be really low now.

I suppose the T20s are about bashing the ball so they ride their luck there.

The test match will be very tough.

"Andrew Balbirnie, Ireland Captain: We're very disappointed. Don't think the cricket over the past three days reflects the type of cricket we've played in the last 2-3 years. We did expect spin to play a big part, but our defence with the bat wasn't good enough. We did not adapt well enough."

"We did expect spin to play a big part" - is this the issue? An assumption that playing out there, that spin was the threat. I thought coaches & captains should be figuring various scenarios out and preparing to adapt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,098 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Ouch

It’s a ground and a pitch conducive to a team scoring well. Ball spinning, not spinning, that’s zero excuse.

yet,

Ireland score 101 runs

Ireland get bowled out in 28.1 overs…

Ireland managed to bat for only 56% of their innings. 😵‍💫

Irelands bowlers take no wickets, not a single wicket..

Bangladesh successfully chase in 13.1 overs, just under 8 runs an over is the net run rate.

3.59 the Irish run rate and still get skittled.

Balbernie waffling out of him again after the match. Not a good, not a professional or very respectful attitude towards the Irish cricket fan.

and…..all the above against… Bangladesh….not Australia, South Africa, England or India, Humiliated by Bangladesh.…being beaten by them, sure, that’s entirely possible but fûck that, not laid a glove on them, we’ve been murdered by them, annihilated.

wait till you hear… “ we are keeping faith with the lads and…. “

surprised but pleased the test is a five day match instead of a four day match… if it’s over in three and a half or four days so be it but four day really restricts you if there is bad weather early in the test…. Lose two and a half sessions in four days play and you lose the likelihood of a result. Five offers more breathing room.

the T20 series doesn’t really have the same appeal…but be nice to get a victory or two under our belts… be intriguing to observe how we bounce back from the poor ODI showing

Not very well to judge - going at near 11 an over. Looks like a 200+ target.

What'll we get in reply? 120?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Rain has stopped, Ireland will chase 104 in 8 overs, need 13 per over, possible I suppose, or could be 30 all out?

• Advertisement

18/0 off 1

32/0 off 2

3 dots and a wicket in the 3rd over, 32/1, 2.4 overs

37/1, need 67 off 5

37/2, Tucker out

Stirling out 40/3, all 3 bowled

60/4 now, 44 to get in 3

Sinking now, only 5 off the 6th over, 39 off 2 required

Ended on 81/5, lost by 22

• Advertisement

I didn’t see any of it but you have to say really DL setting us 13 runs off each of the 8 overs …. Never likely, fantasy stuff.

207/5 from 19.2 Bangladesh scored…. 215-220 had they completed the innings.

that would have left ireland needing 11 runs an over.

so how the fûck does DL have us requiring 13 from each of the 8 ?

doesn’t seem like a reasonable or fair conversion. For any side, coming in cold starting an innings, hitting 13 runs in overs 1 through 8 ? Probably not a team in the world capable of that.

Started well, but once wickets fell, required momentum lost.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement