Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there grants for creating ponds?

Options
  • 05-10-2019 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

We have a drain/stream which used to flood as part of a turlough but was drained 30 years ago.
    I'd like to extend it now for wildlife.
    Farm is in Midlands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

I think the Game councils might help out . I talked to them at some show and they seemed knowledgeable about ponds . I did not go ahead with the pond but I think they sent me a booklet .
    https://nargc.ie/duck-propagation/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

NPWS provide grants for ponds in Natterjack toad areas - currently in the SW and Wexford I believe, if you have breeding Curlew or other waders nearby the likes of BWI and the NPWS etc. may support your efforts too. Its heartening to see many private developers now including retention/overflow ponds in many new commercial and residential areas as a sustainable way of dealing with heavy rainfall events. Its a pity that the likes of the OPW and Waterways Ireland are still so behind the curve on this in the primitive and destructive way they still manage our rivers and floodplains:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Unless in Natterjack toad area in Kerry no grant available for creating pond. A pond is probably the best way you can improve your farm for biodiversity. No measure in GLAS for pond creation, just showing how unless the GLAS scheme is. You will receive a deduction for in your BFP though, because ponds are ineligible for BFP.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 AgnesCalhoun1

Any new grants for ponds since the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

I have ponds here in every field and will have for the next week or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

This was a scheme that was open in my area, I doubt it covers the whole country, but it might give you some good information about how to establish one.

Advertisement