Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Avon8

Firstly there was some cracking games last year so the idea that there can't be great games anymore is rubbish. However when one team sets up defensive the other simply has to mirror and you get the game of basketball, all defend and all attack, only without a shot clock (which would make things worse)

Teams keeping possession for long periods bores the teeth off people. The problem is as a game its too easy to keep possession. Teams won't press because the reward isn't there, you tire yourself out and pull yourself out of position for little chance of a turnover.

So make retaining possesion harder. How? Go back to the defined underhand striking action with a closed fist.

This won't stop teams from being able to fist and kick to each other uncontested around the 65. However, if you've ever been tackled with hands on, you'll know how much easier it is to get your pass away by flicking the ball to a teammate with your open fingers, than it is to close your fist and get a defined strike away accurately. Teams will have a reason to press, as they'll have a realistic chance of turning over the ball once they get pressure and hands on the opponent. It's a very simple rule change back to something we had previously, that would make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Honest question here because I don’t have a feeling strongly either way but why are some people saying a shot clock would make it worse ? Would it not speed up attacking play ? Or is it the fear that some teams would just totally go defensive then and be able to see out the 60/90 seconds until a turnover ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Meath and Dublin played each other 11 times in the 1990's. Every one of those games had fewer scores than their game on Saturday. I would have to check again, but I think their games in 2020, 2021 and 2022 also had more scores than any game in the 90's. Whatever people's perceptions are, the modern game is not short on scores. And scores can never come from teams handpassing the ball for long periods away from the opposition goals.

I enjoy the contest, and I wouldn't bother watching anything that bored the teeth off me.

Pretty much yeah. A very good portion of teams would go defensive and try an reduce the game to a game of potshots. This would be particularly effective for underdogs or typically less talented teams, increasing randomness into the equation. It might make certain games higher scoring but im fairly certain it would make the majority lower scoring.

There's also the nightmare scenario where a defensive team gets a lucky goal and is 3 or 4 in the second half or something. At that point, they just bring everyone back, knowing the opposition will have to score 4 or 5 'worldies' within the shot clock to beat them

That's just an opinion now, maybe it would work. I'd just be very surprised

I still madly enjoy it also. Some of the games towards the latter stages of recent years have been fantastic and some of the best spectacles in all of sport imo

There is definitely a problem with teams holding the ball for extended periods though, and those periods are what are drawing the majority of the complaints. Those games in the 90's did have less scores etc, and lots of shoddy play. But with every punt out of the backs and into the forwards there was the unknown, a contest to win the ball. Take hurling, which is a massively flawed game. But when its at its most intense, there's a clear contest for possession every few seconds on average, so there's constantly an element of drama. Which is all down to it being exceptionally difficult to retain possession

The most exciting part of football outside of score taking is probably when a goalkeeper is pressed from a kickout and sends it long, as that battle for possession is an unknown. So while its definitely a better game than the 90's, and the standard of score taking has never been higher (last years final an obvious example), the rest of the game is suffering a bit due to the lack of changes of possession. Making it just a tad harder to retain possession would alleviate a lot of the problems I feel and the great features of the modern game would have even more of a showcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,766 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm.. fairly typical comment from someone who I would suggest should know better.

Like sit back and instead of putting in an input just turn your back to the game and ignore the obvious flaws.

I don’t operate like that ,my friend.

If I see obvious flaws I try to fix them, ok it’s just on a message board, but I certainly just don’t sit back and think everything is ok and there are no flaws that could be corrected.

I fully accept that you are a committed GAA head and do tremendous work out there, but would have thought you would have copped that I have the best intentions for Gaelic games.

You never know, do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The game has developed into shorter passing / hand passing in the main due to the vast increase in player fitness. The mindset of minding the ball, possession being king, not coughing it up, less risk…no more Hail Mary, 50/50…..

lads in the 80’s / 90’s and early 00’s wouldn’t have been able to use the tactics and style that prevail mainly now, they wouldn’t have the fitness levels, whole teams….they’d be blown up by 50 minutes engaging in that style.

Typical by being sensible. And this is typical of you:

"Load of fcukkery"

Correct and right…

What we are discussing here is is this a good watch for the paying spectator or just a dull borefest.

You obviously don’t see the need to discuss this issue in any respectful way, my friend.

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly, one of the contributors here stopped watching football many years ago, because they found it so boring. That is a very sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

more scores, faster more athletic players, in some instances less competitive yes, but you can’t micromanage the game and keep tweaking the rules, just to suit whims of certain cohorts.

Cork play Armagh tomorrow they are not thinking about it being entertaining, competitive… they want it over by xx minutes and a comfortable margin of victory…if the win by 7 points there won’t be any pity for Antrim.

Whims of certain cohorts?

Who would they be? What do they want.

Now Mr S ..I see you as a committed supporter but my point would be that games need to be entertaining for the spectator.

Doesnt mean tinkering with the rules too much but the current offering for me is not a good watch.

Like I said watched two games yesterday…..

scenario

Kick out short… gain possession…22 passes later just over the halfway line..defenders retreat into their own half.. now 25 to 28 players in one half of the field… more passes and eventually attackers lose possession.

Has to be said Tyrone were much more open and attacking… saved the game from stagnating.

Some people find the modern game entertaining, and that makes them happy. Other people find it boring, and they can have a moan about it. That makes them happy.

I prefer to call it constructive criticism rather than moaning.

A lot of people on the thread are moaning about it being boring. And the OP thinks it's muck. I didn't see anything constructive from them, just mad ideas that are out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If everyone marked their own player, why would it be so hard to get possession back? its not that hard to tackle a player in Gaelic football, we are taught how to tackle from the age of 8 or whatever age you start playing.

Luckily I don’t see myself as part of the cohort you describe.

I can only judge by what you write. Going by that, if the cohort was short on bodies, you would probably lend a hand.

"Let’s be honest the game is “muck’ right now.

This possession football is killing the game. Make no mistake about that.

30 or 40 hand passes to try to engineer a score….nah mate…you can keep that.

GAA. need to act fast or these borefests like Derry v Dublin will continue."

• Advertisement

You seem to fear honest straight opinions, my friend.

If you want to stick your head in the sand, nothing I can do.

Pity you try to play the man and not the ball.

I had you figured as a bit better than that, guess I was way wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just walked in to the house and Terrace Talk was on Radio Kerry earlier.

And all that they were talking about was how bad modern football was and how it was awful and no entertainment etc etc.

You could set your watch by those guys.

Personally speaking no I don't think so.

It's just that particular show and their game commentaries are monopolized by guys who won stuff with Kerry in the 80s and there isn't a single modern voice to be heard.

It's all complaining about "tactics" and how the game is all about "tactics"

Rather than give out all the time about "tactics" why not have someone on air to analyze "tactics"

Did anybody watch the opening rounds off Aussie Rules?

it was brilliant, not perfect by any means but far more entertaining than Gaelic football

Surely some things that GAA coaches can have a look at in those club’s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

In fairness it is harder to get the ball off an opposing player than most sports.

It's far too easy to retain possession.

They are so rubbish at scoring that they have extra goalposts. Actually Gaelic Football used to have those extra posts as well up until about 1910. And I think it was 21 a side. We could go back to that, and make the game professional while we're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

thats a stupid take. they have extra goal posts as they also use far bigger pitch in many cases to allow higher scoring

They’re kicking is crap I’ll give ya that, but some of the kick passing & speed of the game is what impressed me.

• Advertisement

I totally disagree. Have you played Gaelic football? and if so, for how long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Well, it's certainly much harder to take the ball off someone in Gaelic Football than it is in soccer.

I have played gaelic football, not for years admittedly and at a very low level.

I have also played soccer as well where it's far more difficult to keep possession of the ball and far easier to miscontrol it.

Same applies to hurling too even though as I said earlier in the thread it has its own set of challenges as a sport despite the fact we keep hearing it's the 'best sport in the world' every 5 seconds.

I'm a huge fan of football but I do think that what spectators are ultimately frustrated with is the lateral hand passing etc. This is a direct consequence of it being too easy to retain possession and reduces the unpredictability of open play.

You essentially have to wait for the team in possession to make a mistake with their passing or shooting to get back the ball.

What I'm trying to say is rather than hand passing being the symptom of everything that is perceived as being bad about the sport as mentioned so many times on this thread that instead it's the tackle that's the problem.

In saying all of that football has arguably never been better. Watch old games, you'd be surprised how dire they were and the low levels of skill involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They could look at something like there always needs to be 4 outfield players in each half from each team. Difficult to ref , yes, but eventually after a season of frees against teams will just adapt.

Seeing 29 players in one half and all but a Gk in the other is not great for the sport and is not entertaining.

The Northern teams started the block defence, with Donegal sticking out as one of the worst (under mcguinness). There was a Dublin v Donegal semi final that had 14 scores. It was 4-2 at half time!

So teams have now adapted to these blanket defence tactics and I’m not mad about it. Somebody mentioned more scores , but the game feels more choked , more tactical and less entertaining as it’s generally predictable.

I miss the midfield battles for the long kick outs. As a spectator, I’d prefer defenders to focus on defending and forwards to attack. Having full backs and full forwards swap halves regularly is not candy for the eyes.

Good post which quite rightly points to the tackle in GF as a problem.

Now before everyone tries to explain the ‘correct ‘ tackle I know what it is so can that.

Its the one on ones are the real problem.

I see players on one to one encounters going up close and then bursting past the defender who has very

little chance of dispossessing..result is usually a free for the attacker.

I would prefer if the onus was on the attacker to play the ball if possible before taking it into the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭randd1

• 4 players designated as forward players (wearing armbands of a different colour to the jerseys main colours) who cannot touch the ball in their own half of the field. If they do, it's a direct free, and a second offence is a yellow card. A foul by a designated forward in their own half is a black card.
    • Once a team goes past their own 45 yard line, they cannot go back past the line. The same with the opposition 45.
    • All kick outs must go past the 45 yard line.
    • Alter the mark so that it can only be claimed from kicks given through play (no dead balls).

The designated forwards should open up the field a bit and counter the mass defences as well as providing teams better options for a quick attack. Not being allowed to go backwards allows teams to push up and press the team in possession, or force teams to attack at pace. The kick out is obvious as it restarts the game with a contest for the ball instead of possession for the team taking the kick out.

At the very least it would be worth trialling them in the pre-season competitions.

And as rules go they're fairly simple, they're completely black and white with no in between, so they would be easy to implement at club and underage level as well.

• Advertisement

The Northern teams started the block defence, with Donegal sticking out as one of the worst (under mcguinness). There was a Dublin v Donegal semi final that had 14 scores. It was 4-2 at half time!

This s**t again.

Do you know that Donegal lost that game?

Do you know that they came back the next year with a completely different high tempo game plan and won the All Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

One of the disappointing aspects of this years league and for me it has been a pretty disappointing league (Mayo excepted), is the amount of times teams are conceding the kick out to the opponent.

Roscommon gave Kerry the short kick out and 100% success up until almost the end of the game and then at 5 points down with the game lost, they decided to attack the Kerry kick out and won 4 of them in a row, scoring 2 pts, forcing a cynical goal-preventing foul and almost winning a penalty. One really would wonder if they had been a bit braver on it during the course of the game, if they might have got something out of the game. Every team will concede the kick out at times during a game particularly when they can't get organized enough to prep for it, but to do it for the full game until you need to throw caution to the wind seems a very regressive strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

A half-court rule akin to basketball is one that could be worth trialling. I think it wouldn't be the most onerous to implement (other than needing to add an extra line to pitches) and shouldn't be too much of an additional boost to the effectiveness of mass defences.

There would possibly be some issues around turnovers that are won around the half-way line that only happens irregularly in basketball games.

It’s not sh*t, that was the worst game I have ever been at where fans were booing how bad Donegal were getting with the defence. It was Puke football

But it failed as a tactic, and Donegal came back a year later with a much different approach that won them an All Ireland.

People take games in insolation where one or both teams adopt a "defense first" approach and then bemoan it as being puke football and the end of the world.

What they ignore is that the most successful teams win games and championships by being aggressive and attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Treble double

Look I believe alot of posters on here are just piling in to have a cut off Gaelic Football because a they are either hurling supporters who are trying to deflect from what is a farcical leauge competition in their own code or lads that couldn't kick snow off a rope and are spewing their resentment here.

I would trial one thing and that is the Aussie Rules style tackle with the following stipulations, the mark from the kickout and forward mark remain, get rid of the defensive mark. A player receiving a kick pass has to be tackled within the rules as they stand at the moment. But a player receiving a handpass can be tackled to the ground Aussie Rules style and possession is lost.

The reason I would lose the defensive mark is because if a defender wins a long ball into the square he is open to Aussie Rule style tackle and losing possession, which could be used as an attacking strategy and encourage direct ball into the goal mouth area which is one of the most exciting things in Football.

The tackle is the problem in Football as it is impossible to define ditto in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Jesus some of the rule change suggestions here are absolutely insane armbands for forward only players having to boot the ball away after a solo and the rest of it. Have you seen the state of the referees trying to enforce the current rules? Imagine piling all this extra crap on top of them as well?

Also Gaelic football and sport in general is not entertainment its a game to be won or lost if you want entertainment go to the cinema.

I still dnt see why ye think its so hard to tackle, maybe because I played as a back, I didnt find it hard and knew what it was like to have a marker tackle and get the ball from me as well. Aiden O Shea was a great example of someone who was great as getting the ball off an opposition player.

When you see 29 players in one half pretty much anytime a transition changes , it’s hard to see how the blanket defence disappeared. It’s morphed into this default tactic that’s not good to watch and I don’t like it. The northern teams , while bringing alot of intensity also choked the sport to death in the 00s.

Kerry had to adapt from being a team most neutrals enjoy watching to this more cute defensive Style. Indeed the great Dublin team of recent years adapted to be able to have serious composure and score from 40+ yards to counter act it, that’s one of the reasons they did so well for so long (alongside savage players/management), the passing around the 40 and being lethal when they took a shot completely neutering the defensive block.

Got to he honest I wasn’t always loving the Dublin possession for minutes with no scores or maybe a score after 2-3 minutes of playing with the opposition. I preferred the swash buckling Dublin of the 00s style, even if it did always come undone by more structurally sounder teams.

As I said there should be a minimum amount of outfield players required in each half and it somewhat addresses the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Situational rules zones are all indications of a lack of skill

If you want minimise defensive play reduce the teams to 13 players hard to be a zonal defence when it's going to result in you being out on your feet 10 mins into the second half

It is very hard to tackle effectively. For instance Sam Callinan for Mayo made a great interception against Donegal by flicking the ball away from the Donegal player as he soloed it.

This is one of the ways a defender can win the ball but how often do you see it? Once a game, probably not. It stood out to me because it's so infrequent. Isn't that what the solo is there for essentially to allow a window for an interception when there isn't an opportunity to shoulder a player. However, it rarely ever happens and showcases how hard it is to win possession as a defender.

It just shows you how bad players are now at tackling, not that its hard to do. You run along side them and put your hand in, simple really.

It's evidently not simple.

Players have never been trained better to tackle and yet you still rarely see interceptions like I pointed out.

This suggests it's the rules that are inadequate rather than the skillset of the players.

They dont tackle because they are all doing zonal marking. You often see a player with the ball and no marker anywhere near him, years ago you always had your marker in close proximity.

Because in the modern game the opposition are not interested in engaging with attackers until they get nearer the goals. And they arrange their defence accordingly. Then as you have pointed out before yourself, the man in possession is likey to have two or more in close proximity. It demands a high level of fitness on both sides. There are variations, such as pressure on the kickout leading to contested balls in the air. Or long kicks into the goal area, a low percentage option when a goal is needed. But in general it is more like soccer, playing out from the back.

Some people are saying that it is skewed in favour of defenders, where they can "swarm" around the man in possession. But the number of scores being achieved would point to a healthy balance. Better than years ago when it was a one on one, and possession was given up far too easily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement