Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Avon8

Firstly there was some cracking games last year so the idea that there can't be great games anymore is rubbish. However when one team sets up defensive the other simply has to mirror and you get the game of basketball, all defend and all attack, only without a shot clock (which would make things worse)

Teams keeping possession for long periods bores the teeth off people. The problem is as a game its too easy to keep possession. Teams won't press because the reward isn't there, you tire yourself out and pull yourself out of position for little chance of a turnover.

So make retaining possesion harder. How? Go back to the defined underhand striking action with a closed fist.

This won't stop teams from being able to fist and kick to each other uncontested around the 65. However, if you've ever been tackled with hands on, you'll know how much easier it is to get your pass away by flicking the ball to a teammate with your open fingers, than it is to close your fist and get a defined strike away accurately. Teams will have a reason to press, as they'll have a realistic chance of turning over the ball once they get pressure and hands on the opponent. It's a very simple rule change back to something we had previously, that would make a huge difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Honest question here because I don’t have a feeling strongly either way but why are some people saying a shot clock would make it worse ? Would it not speed up attacking play ? Or is it the fear that some teams would just totally go defensive then and be able to see out the 60/90 seconds until a turnover ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Meath and Dublin played each other 11 times in the 1990's. Every one of those games had fewer scores than their game on Saturday. I would have to check again, but I think their games in 2020, 2021 and 2022 also had more scores than any game in the 90's. Whatever people's perceptions are, the modern game is not short on scores. And scores can never come from teams handpassing the ball for long periods away from the opposition goals.

I enjoy the contest, and I wouldn't bother watching anything that bored the teeth off me.

Pretty much yeah. A very good portion of teams would go defensive and try an reduce the game to a game of potshots. This would be particularly effective for underdogs or typically less talented teams, increasing randomness into the equation. It might make certain games higher scoring but im fairly certain it would make the majority lower scoring.

There's also the nightmare scenario where a defensive team gets a lucky goal and is 3 or 4 in the second half or something. At that point, they just bring everyone back, knowing the opposition will have to score 4 or 5 'worldies' within the shot clock to beat them

That's just an opinion now, maybe it would work. I'd just be very surprised

I still madly enjoy it also. Some of the games towards the latter stages of recent years have been fantastic and some of the best spectacles in all of sport imo

There is definitely a problem with teams holding the ball for extended periods though, and those periods are what are drawing the majority of the complaints. Those games in the 90's did have less scores etc, and lots of shoddy play. But with every punt out of the backs and into the forwards there was the unknown, a contest to win the ball. Take hurling, which is a massively flawed game. But when its at its most intense, there's a clear contest for possession every few seconds on average, so there's constantly an element of drama. Which is all down to it being exceptionally difficult to retain possession

The most exciting part of football outside of score taking is probably when a goalkeeper is pressed from a kickout and sends it long, as that battle for possession is an unknown. So while its definitely a better game than the 90's, and the standard of score taking has never been higher (last years final an obvious example), the rest of the game is suffering a bit due to the lack of changes of possession. Making it just a tad harder to retain possession would alleviate a lot of the problems I feel and the great features of the modern game would have even more of a showcase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmm.. fairly typical comment from someone who I would suggest should know better.

Like sit back and instead of putting in an input just turn your back to the game and ignore the obvious flaws.

I don’t operate like that ,my friend.

If I see obvious flaws I try to fix them, ok it’s just on a message board, but I certainly just don’t sit back and think everything is ok and there are no flaws that could be corrected.

I fully accept that you are a committed GAA head and do tremendous work out there, but would have thought you would have copped that I have the best intentions for Gaelic games.

You never know, do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The game has developed into shorter passing / hand passing in the main due to the vast increase in player fitness. The mindset of minding the ball, possession being king, not coughing it up, less risk…no more Hail Mary, 50/50…..

lads in the 80’s / 90’s and early 00’s wouldn’t have been able to use the tactics and style that prevail mainly now, they wouldn’t have the fitness levels, whole teams….they’d be blown up by 50 minutes engaging in that style.

Typical by being sensible. And this is typical of you:

"Load of fcukkery"

Correct and right…

What we are discussing here is is this a good watch for the paying spectator or just a dull borefest.

You obviously don’t see the need to discuss this issue in any respectful way, my friend.

• Advertisement

If I recall correctly, one of the contributors here stopped watching football many years ago, because they found it so boring. That is a very sensible thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

more scores, faster more athletic players, in some instances less competitive yes, but you can’t micromanage the game and keep tweaking the rules, just to suit whims of certain cohorts.

Cork play Armagh tomorrow they are not thinking about it being entertaining, competitive… they want it over by xx minutes and a comfortable margin of victory…if the win by 7 points there won’t be any pity for Antrim.

Whims of certain cohorts?

Who would they be? What do they want.

Now Mr S ..I see you as a committed supporter but my point would be that games need to be entertaining for the spectator.

Doesnt mean tinkering with the rules too much but the current offering for me is not a good watch.

Like I said watched two games yesterday…..

scenario

Kick out short… gain possession…22 passes later just over the halfway line..defenders retreat into their own half.. now 25 to 28 players in one half of the field… more passes and eventually attackers lose possession.

Has to be said Tyrone were much more open and attacking… saved the game from stagnating.

Some people find the modern game entertaining, and that makes them happy. Other people find it boring, and they can have a moan about it. That makes them happy.

I prefer to call it constructive criticism rather than moaning.

A lot of people on the thread are moaning about it being boring. And the OP thinks it's muck. I didn't see anything constructive from them, just mad ideas that are out of touch with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

If everyone marked their own player, why would it be so hard to get possession back? its not that hard to tackle a player in Gaelic football, we are taught how to tackle from the age of 8 or whatever age you start playing.

Luckily I don’t see myself as part of the cohort you describe.

I can only judge by what you write. Going by that, if the cohort was short on bodies, you would probably lend a hand.

"Let’s be honest the game is “muck’ right now.

This possession football is killing the game. Make no mistake about that.

30 or 40 hand passes to try to engineer a score….nah mate…you can keep that.

GAA. need to act fast or these borefests like Derry v Dublin will continue."

• Advertisement

You seem to fear honest straight opinions, my friend.

If you want to stick your head in the sand, nothing I can do.

Pity you try to play the man and not the ball.

I had you figured as a bit better than that, guess I was way wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Just walked in to the house and Terrace Talk was on Radio Kerry earlier.

And all that they were talking about was how bad modern football was and how it was awful and no entertainment etc etc.

You could set your watch by those guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Personally speaking no I don't think so.

It's just that particular show and their game commentaries are monopolized by guys who won stuff with Kerry in the 80s and there isn't a single modern voice to be heard.

It's all complaining about "tactics" and how the game is all about "tactics"

Rather than give out all the time about "tactics" why not have someone on air to analyze "tactics"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Did anybody watch the opening rounds off Aussie Rules?

it was brilliant, not perfect by any means but far more entertaining than Gaelic football

Surely some things that GAA coaches can have a look at in those club’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

In fairness it is harder to get the ball off an opposing player than most sports.

It's far too easy to retain possession.

They are so rubbish at scoring that they have extra goalposts. Actually Gaelic Football used to have those extra posts as well up until about 1910. And I think it was 21 a side. We could go back to that, and make the game professional while we're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

thats a stupid take. they have extra goal posts as they also use far bigger pitch in many cases to allow higher scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

They’re kicking is crap I’ll give ya that, but some of the kick passing & speed of the game is what impressed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I totally disagree. Have you played Gaelic football? and if so, for how long?

Advertisement