Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extrapolations [Apple]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wow looks excellent.

And with most apple stuff...seriously expensive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Cartman78

That looks wild alright....a lot of iPhones were sold to put all that on the screen 😂

It'll either be an epic success or an historic flop.... can't see there being any middle ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah it's hard to judge Apple on their trailers or budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

While it looks expensive and has an amazing cast, I don't know. It left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It reminded me of that "Don't look up" movie.

Hey, now Climate Change is a real thing because hollywood says so. So we have these people with ENORMOUS carbon footprints telling us to reduce ours.

I found that "Don't look up" movie impossibly self satisfied and get the same vibe here.

I'm not a tree hugger or a denier. I believe in climate change and doing my bit to protect the environment. I recycle and use public transport. I have not traveled much internationally since lockdown lifted but i intend to this or next year. I cycle but I also like my creature comforts. I will install solar panels soon. But have a large tv.

So this is not a MAGA climate change denial rant. Or a Greta Thunburg we-must-walk-everywhere.

I just get annoyed at, as I say, multimillionaires with private jets and huge negative impact on the environment telling me i am evil to eat a burger or use a plastic straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's looks great. Definitely be watching that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

1: If thise episode is anything to go by, then this show is going to be packed full of recognisable faces from TV and Movies.

So far, the story doesn't feel well tied together and almost flimsical. I'm thinking maybe their, Apple, aim was to take a pot shot at a combo Facebook/Amazon/Tesla/Big-Mining industries taken as a single entity under one rich-person (TM). Though also.. being an Apple show, they seem to have decided they can have a line in it that they'll solve the Israel / Palestine situation by 2037.

The biggest strength in this episode, I felt, was Matthew Rhys. He brought his character to life and I felt like he stood out with more personality than the rest of the show despite how his character was written.

The Walrus! 😲😱

Parts I googled:

The lawyer who set himself on fire in 2018:

David Buckel - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Buckel

David Stroh Buckel (June 13, 1957 – April 14, 2018) was an American LGBT rights lawyer who worked with Lambda Legal on a number of their notable cases. He was also an environmental activist, focusing on composting. He died on April 14, 2018, by self-immolation as a protest against the use of fossil fuels.

The 79 N Glacier:

Nioghalvfjerdsbrae - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nioghalvfjerdsbrae

Nioghalvfjerdsbrae (79°00′N 025°00′W), sometimes referred to as "79 N Glacier", is a large glacier located in King Frederick VIII Land, northeastern Greenland.

Franz Josef Land - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Josef_Land

In 1926, the Soviet Union annexed the islands, which were known at the time as Fridtjof Nansen Land, and settled small outposts for research and military purposes. The Kingdom of Norway rejected the claim and several private expeditions were sent to the islands. With the Cold War, the islands became off limits for foreigners and two military airfields were built. The islands have been a nature sanctuary since 1994 and became part of the Russian Arctic National Park in 2012.

Pompeo speech to the artic council: https://oaarchive.arctic-council.org/handle/11374/2409

Statement by Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo at the Arctic Council Ministerial Meeting May 7, 2019 Lappi Arena Rovaniemi, Finland.

America’s new Arctic focus prioritizes close cooperation with our partners on emerging challenges, including the increased presence and ambitions of non-Arctic nations in the region.

and

Chinese activity, which has caused environmental destruction in other regions, continues to concern us in the Arctic.

2: Oh this one didn't feel like it had anyone carrying it all that much.

It did give me the impression they think the Meta and Metaverse is going to be popular when outside is too warm and polluted to live in.

Recording parents and loved ones telling stories does feel like a good idea.

Kit Harington didn't seem to have aged alot from the first episode. I wonder will he be scienced up to live a very long life and stay young in appearance the whole time.

Ms

I though that alot of it seemed outdated already. Like Russia on the UN and other counsels for instance. I somehow doubt that. I wonder was this wrote and shot before the current war.

I know its just a show. But it does show us how bad it could get if we do nothing now.

Also I refuse to believe the World will get that bad. We are on the right track know with more electric cars and greener homes as well as sustainable fuels. Yes more could be done but I hope and believe we will and are getting it right.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I keep seeing this show come up here and there, and I just can't. Something about it rubs me up the wrong way.

I do worry we've past the point of no return and the procrastinators and denier díckheads have won, the climate totally, irreversibly fúcked; so the last thing I want to watch is a bunch of celeb names pontificating about Climate Change. If we're not past the point, self-serious navel gazing isn't the answer on a Service owned by a man whose private jets probably pollute more than all of us on Boards combined.

Uhhh... trailer looks high production value though, lol.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Though choice. I say if this makes some people change tgere ways then it is good. Whether it will be enough or not to stop climate change who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Watched the first 4 episodes of this, it's very clever and thought provoking. The difference between how humans approach the topic of climate change depending on their age and their role in life at that age is what stands out the most.

There is a big gap between how a teenager sees the world vs those in middle age and further along. The teenager, idealistic and their natural inclination to know the difference between right and wrong vs the experienced human who understands true human nature and the realities that the world and the people in it don't really care about it each other; and ultimately take care of themselves and their own in pursuit of their own goals, content in the knowledge that this is the world we live in and anything else is naive.

Bridging this gap between the simple concept of a clean environment and consciously protecting our surroundings vs corporate profits and self interest is probably something humans are not capable of doing, and this is what the show is telling us in many ways but its not doing it in a condescending way which would be very easy to do from either perspective. It paints a very real picture.

I personally have listened a lot to both sides on this, but if you were very much on the Greta side of the argument watching this is probably not going to be the healthiest thing. The 4th episode gives a really very interesting take on why our youth feel the way they do, and why they are getting so upset about this and I imagine this would be quite upsetting to watch for someone of that age and leaning because of the impending doom. Without the significant distractions of adulthood and real life this issue could really take hold of a kid and torment them deeply.

Ultimately the argument from those on the other side of the coin is that with or without humans climate change is inevitable and has always been part of the earths cycle. This is palpable across every episode. But even if that is the case and they are correct, the simple concept of clean water and clean air is something not even the most politically conservative figure can deny is a basic human need and desire no matter how entrenched in their political view. But then I believe much of this view is born from the knowing the futility of fighting against the natural order of society and human nature.

What both sides should do is go an visit Beijing where on most days you cant see 100 meters down the road for the smog and the activists would see who they should really be going after and the deniers could no longer deny.

Whatever side you are on, better hope the activists are wrong about whats going to happen, because if its anything like this show portrays it's not gonna be pretty!

Keen to see what they do with the rest of it, and if there is any hope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well thankfully Apple is here to save us.....

I tried to watch the first episode and I found it so overwhelmingly smug and self important that I didn't continue.

It was exactly as I suspected above:Celebrities with enormous carbon footprints spewing out pontifications about Climate Change without irony.... made by APPLE FFS!!!

It's even WORSE than that "Don't Look Up" movie which I hated

3: This one felt like one of the small little stories from an anthology story. David Schwimmer did alright with a part that wasn't made up for much. Daveed Diggs got me remembering snowpiercer.

I'm guessing they might have more Alana in later episodes. This as a background episode for her might make some sense.

4: Well this ended stronger. Felt like the show might have a story to explore.

Guessing then that this was an alpha social plan with yer wan and her son being used as patsies... or maybe the president gave it the nod on that phone call that wasn't shown to the audience.

5: Good episode! That was the best episode so far I think. Mystery, crime, spycraft, roadtrip and buddycop kinda feel to it.

Yeah liked that one. Keri Russell in the type of role she plays strongest in my experience too. Solid stuff.

Guessing these folks are trying to fight back against the Alpha Social / industry / global power players

6: You know, at first this episode, I wasn't sure, like maybe it wouldn't go anywhere. The end though, felt like it really pulled it together. Not an uplifting story but.. some kinda of whelm.

I think think the tech he used was kinda cool.

7: I liked this one. Little enclosed episode with scifi, comedy and a bit of mystery. Tobey Maguire and Forest Whitaker stood out, though Hari Nef (Anna) looked promising for a small role.

Mad how the place looks like New York did with all that smoke last week.

Finished! .. so.. that was.. that was it. That was kinda.. not much. I think episode 5 with the buddy-cop feel and episode 7 for the big mix it had were the strongest. Big dud feeling of the Apple-Oh-nians pointing the finger at facebook/google/twitter/amazon tho..

Can't believe Alana from episode 3 wasn't developed.

8: Well. The world didn't look so bad in this episode. Felt like the show went a bit backwards in showing the worsening. Then the story wasn't the strongest. Diane Lane put in a great performance.. as Diane Lane would really.

Ms

Will there be a second season of this?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Haven't seen any indication of it. Haven't seen what felt like a buzz around the show either.

Still though, apple have a heap of cash so maybe..

Advertisement