Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade tyres recommendations

Options
  • 03-12-2022 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Currently running Bontrager R1 Hard-Case Lite, 700x32 c. Any feedback on what these are like vs more premium tyres?

Looking for easy enough/low cost upgrades to my road bike and thought tyres is a good place to start!

Looking for feedback and recommendations!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why do you wish to 'upgrade' your current tyres?

Punctures?

Lack of grip?

Rolling resistance/speed?

Weight?

Comfort?

Recommending tyres is a bit like recommending footwear. There are many variables which need to be clarified first.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Should have clarified, mainly rolling resistance/speed to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any 'race' tyre should do that but, as I don't race, I'll leave it up to those who do to answer.

(Bear in mind though that tyres designed for speed tend to puncture more easily, particularly in winter).

GP 5000s are the best I've used so far.

I use them throughout the year and have only punctured once in 12,000km on two sets since I started running them. You'll notice the difference as soon as you put them on and you can really throw yourself into corners with confidence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This, the difference in grip as you lean into a corner is immense. My only place in a race this year was because I could take the corners leaned over like a MotoGP racer. I was getting dropped on the straight but I was taking corners full tilt and catching the back of the 3 strong riders each lap. Without those tyres I would have been out the back. The first batch of them did puncture easily but the second and subsequent batches are like you say, I am 10000km into the current set and haven't punctured once. Same with my few races in Mondello this year, fitness way off but the fancy wheels and tyres meant I was able to freewheel into the back of the bunch for a rest for 1/2 lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

The GP's are nearly the cost of car tyres now! Check some of vittoria's cheaper options. The *rubbino is a good tyre, light, fast, grippy and reasonable money.

*excuse spelling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

This time of year I'd go GP 4 Seasons over the GP5000's tbh. When I wasn't racing I've happily used them all year - they've a bit more puncture protection, at the cost of some (but not a lot) of rolling resistance. Actually planning on putting them on the "good" bike for flanders next spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've never used GP5000s or 4000s before - I put GP 4 Seasons on and was perfectly happy with them year round (no pun intended). Wheels on the "good" bike are tubeless and I've been using Rubino Pros on that for the past year, which I must say I can't fault either.

*Disclaimer - I don't race, but do appreciate good rolling resistance having once gone from a set of Specialized Armadillos which were bulletproof (quite possibly literally) but felt like you were towing a breeze-block to a set of Schwalbe Ultremos which were super fun to ride but had the puncture protection of toilet paper. The GP 4 Seasons were the baby bear's tyre for me after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

GP5000's again, had the 4000's before and never an issue with any of them,

Good value on bike24, includes 2 tubes but will have to pay 10 postage usually,

https://www.bike24.com/p2308279.html?source=SRP&indexName=production_SEARCH_INDEX_EN&objectId=CON408096&queryId=d36d1f9555dadf0823cefc0e8e28760e&userToken=ce4c1e47-c989-4ca6-a3af-c9fffb06aa4a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

ive had a set of 28mm 5000 on the race bike for a month or more now and have been very impressed. As Cram said above they are glued to the road on narrow bends which is really helping me as a less than perfect descender.

For reference 99-100kgs running 28mm at 90/95.

Only issue now is wear which will be a factor given the price.

Separate question but how is racing at that weight? I want to take the plunge in A4 this year but at 89-90kgs I'd be afraid I'd get dropped on the first steep climb.

Don’t race steep climbs as I don’t.

Plenty races about for you to get stuck into. I plug away in A3 / Masters race and find I’m reasonably competitive on the right course.

Take the plunge and learn from each race you do.

Makes sense. I suppose I'll keep an eye out for the punchy races so. Well done yesterday, powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Pirelli P zero ( I’m only suggesting them because GP 5000’s have already been mentioned ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I have GP 5000s on one bike and they are good but my favourite Race Tyres these days are Specialized Turbo Cotton. They feel great, roll really well and are very grippy in all conditions. Expensive given that you won't get more than a season out of them (or less if you do big distances) but I think they are worth it for feel alone.

Getting a race season from two tyres would be a huge plus in my eyes.

I'm obviously not racing hard enough :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

where can I get info on racing? novice cyclist just wanting to try something new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

sorry to derail the thread but can you recommend any south dublin clubs that have these races. From the link I think I'd be A4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Just pressed the button on a set of Vittoria N.ext tyres... Italian sexiness prevailed over German consistency in my decision making process. Anyone have any experience of these? I have the Corsa Speeds, but they're very much race tyres and don't inspire much confidence in terms of puncture protection. Which wouldn't be a huge issue if I was anyway efficient at changing tubes. So hoping the N.exts are halfway decent in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Going to be running GP5000s on the road bike and MICHELIN Power Time Trial on the TT bike this year. Both on latex tubes

Seems i have been running too high pressure to date too, using this now to try lower pressures - https://silcavelo.eu/pages/sppc-form

Samr for me going on that link.

95/90 but the link recommends 84/82 off a quick input.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Orwell, St Tiernans, Bray Wheelers etc - there's a good few in south Dublin and most will run a race series. You'll probably have to do some club spins first though to show you can cycle in a group, rather than just rocking up for the first race of the season and causing a pile up. Racing aside, I highly recommend joining a club anyway.

Advertisement