Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland v England Grand Slam Decider 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭ersatz

The card is a footnote and could have been avoided. Teams under pressure give up cards, and Ireland have been very good at avoiding that.

We are in incredible shape after the 6N, one knock on away from maximum points and 30 players used in the championship which shows the depth we have. RB has done very well, Sexton made it through the whole thing in good shape, Baird, ToT, JOB, and Treadwell got important playing time and a heap of players played their way back from injury. The expanded NZ tour and the development tour have really delivered. Roll on September.

Ill add Bealham to players getting really important playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I saw them. They look like Stewart running forward, turn and elbow keenan in the head. But stills don't paint a full picture.

But the original contention from Peyper apparently was that he should have turned sideways.

Peyper didn't say this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭fitz

Contact is at Stewards elbow height, how the hell do you think he would have had a head injury if he hadn't turned and just soaked contact?

Seriously, g'way outta that... 😂

Of course head contact happens...but when it's avoidable, and it was clearly avoidable in this case, it's got to be punished as severely as possible in the short to medium term in order to change how players behave and are coached so that the risk of avoidable head contacts is reduced.

That's not ruining the game, it's potentially saving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

God bless your eyesight. 🤣

As for whether Peyper said it or not, take it up with @q2ice who posted the quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

It wasn't Peyper's contention that Steward should have turned sideways.

Steward said he didn't have time to avoid Kennan.

Pepper replied 'You had time to turn sideways'. His implication was that Steward had enough time to make a decisive movement, contrary to what Steward had asserted.

Is it not already the case that a fourth official is in place to monitor sin bins times, blood bin times, substitutes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Those comments from ROG were very disappointing when I heard them. Expected more from him as a coach and person.

Basically said that neither the risk of injurying a player nor the risk of being sent off and bans is enough incentive for him to change how he coaches his players to tackle safer. What they might lose in every tackle isn't worth it versus the risk.

I was surprised more wasn't made of it at the time.

Really shows what a negative step moving to the 20 minute cards would be, if anything points to the need of even harsher punishments until certain coaches cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

The 20 minute cards should never come in.

This is driven by two nations in the sh. Every WC some law changes are mooted.

I don't disagree that your take on his position is correct, but I understood him to be talking about legal hits that end up as illegal hits. Meaning that currently a legal tackle is pretty high (just below the shoulder) and that in some instances it makes perfect sense to hit at the maximum height to stop a player in his tracks. Hitting at the maximum height sometimes leads to illegal hits (he talked about getting your 'timing' wrong) but the risk/reward means players and coaches continue to do it. My takeaway was that the legal height is too high as it leads to head shots, especially given that coaches and players will always play the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,500 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There were a good few, what are called seat belt tackles went unpunished from both sides.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think that’s an extremely unfair reading of what ROG actually said, which was a lot more nuanced and caveated than that.

(And I suspect that’s why a lot more wasn’t made of it).

His basic point was that choke / maul tackles are still legal and that it’s more in his interest to coach Atonio to choke tackle / tackle at chest height (I.e. legally) than it is to chop tackle. (Again with caveats that it’s complicated / dynamic situation etc.)

He practically started the conversation off by saying “I’ve told Uini, you’ve gotta go lower”.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For me it's a red all day, twice on Sunday 😁

Steward had a choice, he could have lowered his body position and had a text book tackle, he didn't, he pulled out of the tackle, jumped slightly and turned his body, no wrap, no mitigating circumstances, etc. etc., it's exactly the type of tackle they are trying to get out of the game, Keenan missed the rest of the game. I know the whole "rugby incident" thing coming out from ex-pros, but to me that's a load of bullshit, it's all about player safety now. Steward is 6'5 and 17 stone, that's a serious lump of muscle coming down the track, probably as close to a brick wall as you can come up against, having the likes of Matt Dawson/Clive Woodward complaining, well they can **** off, back in their day Josh Lesey was 5 11 and 14 stone, heck Lomu was the same height and a stone lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

@Clareman Lomu was nearer 18 stone than he was 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

In regard with the twenty minute rule, it absolutely driven by a view of the game going soft and ruining the spectacle, and looking to league as the competitive example.

What I would say is, watch last year's State of Origin. Half those players won't remember whether or not they **** their pants 5 minutes ago in 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Nearer 19 than he was 18. And that was in 1995 as a teenager!

I always remember lomu listed in programs as 18st 8 lbs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was using Wiki for the heights and weights, rookie mistake Jonah Lomu - Wikipedia

Wasn't sure if I misremembered so went back to listen and you're being extremely generous to him, giving him every benefit of the doubt. If Borthwick or Jones came out with that exact interview they'd be slated.

Yes, he tried to caveat everything by continuously dropping in words for the importance of player safety but then when he got into details those words went out the window. It was 'player safety is of the upmost importance but...'

ROG acknowledged, nearly gleefully, that the French player would have realised that he was much larger than Herring and said 'the mindset is that they're trying to get a shot in', 'this guy I'm going to shudder him', 'I want to buckle him'.

He was given every opportunity to say that he coaches his team to tackle safer than was shown on the pitch that day but basically used the excuse that he has lots of other things to coach and can't coach every tackle scenario.

For me, that all makes it crystal clear that ROG doesn't see enough incentive for him to take the time and effort to coach his players to put player safety and staying on the pitch over 'getting a shot in' that could end in concussing the opposition.

The game needs to continue to shift the incentives until coaches have no other option than to focus on coaching players to be safer out there

ROG acknowledged, nearly gleefully, that the French player would have realised that he was much larger than Herring and said 'the mindset is that they're trying to get a shot in', 'this guy I'm going to shudder him', 'I want to buckle him'.

ROG’s point was that Atonio can do that, legally. And that’s more advantageous to him than Atonio chop tackling and allowing a 1 second ruck.

Do you think chest-high tackles should be legal?

It seems to me your issue should be with the laws and World Rugby, rather than with ROG for coaching something that’s legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

ROGs job as a coach is to win rugby matches, he's not the health and safety welfare officer. He's there to make the best decisions possible that will ensure his team win rugby matches. Its the responsibility of the Governing bodies and Unions to enact laws to ensure player safety. There's nothing stopping world rugby outlawing tackles above the waist. Expecting coaches to implement and coach to laws that don't exist is a cop out on World Rugby's part.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

This is basically Foxtrol's point though. The current disincentives are clearly not high enough if coaches continue to coach players to hit up high cause its a net positive.

Which is a criticism that should be aimed at World Rugby, not at ROG.

Chop tackle and nailing Herring in the head were not the only two options Atonio had though and it was telling that ROG tried to paint that picture.

If he wanted to go high and stop an offload he didn't have to try to 'buckle him' and risk seriously injurying the other player and potentially getting sent off.

It seems to you that is my issue because that is literally what my OP was about if you read to the end before leaping to defend ROG from some perceived slight.

Really shows what a negative step moving to the 20 minute cards would be, if anything points to the need of even harsher punishments until certain coaches cop on.

ROGs response shows that there still isn't strong enough disincentives for ROG to coach his players to tackle in a way that is less risky to the opposition. I'm fine with chest high tackles being legal but if players choose that option, especially while aggressively getting 'a shot in', and get it wrong they should have the book thrown at them until they and their coaches think twice.

Again, you're making my point for me.

I'm using ROG as the example as he just came out and said the thing out loud - that for all the lip service of caring about player welfare he isn't incentivised to coach his players to tackle lower.

I'm confident that many, many coaches feel the same way as him.

It might be green tinted glasses but I feel the Irish set up is different and have their players tackling lower - their card stats support this. I'm not saying it is down to trying to be 'good', they clearly see the incentives of keeping 15 on the pitch as being enough compared to the big hits.

Chop tackle and nailing Herring in the head were not the only two options Atonio had though and it was telling that ROG tried to paint that picture.

This is just not true. He described it as “complex, difficult, dynamic” among other things during the conversation.

It seems to you that is my issue because that is literally what my OP was about if you read to the end before leaping to defend ROG from some perceived slight.

In what way is the following a “perceived sleight”? Seems pretty literal to me.

Expected more from him as a coach and person.

And on this:

I'm fine with chest high tackles being legal but if players choose that option, especially while aggressively getting 'a shot in', and get it wrong they should have the book thrown at them until they and their coaches think twice.

Which, again, is an issue for World Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

The lads have decided. Not a red….not even a penalty….a rugby incident……. Saying all that - prob should have been a red in France game….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

For a player who sustained as many concussions as he did, that's a bizarre take from Jackman.

"Rugby incident" is a horrible invention.

Fortunately the lads are all able to bring the weight and value of their extensive playing & coaching experience to this subject, as none of them are brain injured (opinions may differ on this). A panel of ex players currently dealing with the long term effects of CTE might not come to the same conclusion.

This is just not true. He described it as “complex, difficult, dynamic” among other things during the conversation.

It absolutely is true. When the presenter pushed him repeatedly on tackling lower ROG responded that he wouldn't want him chop tackling him and having a 1 second ruck. The presenter even corrected himself and said 'not low, lower' and ROG still kept talking as if a chop tackle was the only option.

Coincidentally, you brought up chop tackles twice in relation to the options Atonio had. Both you and ROG are trying to paint that as the other option to how he could have dealt with the tackle when there are so many other options there, especially given the huge size difference.

In what way is the following a “perceived sleight”? Seems pretty literal to me.

That's absolutely a perceived sleight. I didn't say I think he is a thug or a scumbag - those would be sleights. I just said that I expected more in this situation, on the coaching side - based on how teams with lower card counts are becoming more and more successful - and on the personal side - his consistent words about player safety, which seem to be mostly just words.

Which, again, is an issue for World Rugby.

Which, again, is my whole point if you can stop focusing on defending ROG for one second and actually read my posts. ROG is just an example of a coach who clearly doesn't yet 'get it' despite the nice words he throws out there about player safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭Augme

But that's not ROGs fault if the disincentives are not high enough. As for the game needing to continue to shift, that's very open to opinion.

Advertisement