Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

When I input my eircode I get the same thing. 2gb option. Yet I'm rural Leitrim, Siro and fibre nowhere even close and my max line speed is 1.75mb. NBI months away too. Vodafone eircode check is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

The Fibre broadband is gone live in my area from NBI.. Regarding the installation process. We have a duct left fro the fibre broadband that goes to the corner of our site. There is a pole around 5m from the duct. How will the installation work?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,548 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What's the distance between pole and house overhead?

Can the duct be extended to the pole?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kilkenny36

It's around 30m from the pole to the house. I don't want them to go that way tho. The duct leads into an area next to where all the Cat5 ethernet cables for the house are. If they come in via the roof they will be nowhere near it. I could extend the duct but it's technically off my land and on the side of the road in the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Interesting snippet in an RTE piece on Eirs fibre rollout today:

Notice the 2028 date, not 2026

The date is repeated later in the piece

• Advertisement

The junior minister, at the 30,000th event in Waterford last week said the NBP rollout would complete by the end of 2026 and all premises across the country connected to fibre by the end of 2028. The 2028 date i guess included commercial operators.

Govt says pace of high-speed broadband connections increasing (rte.ie)

Post edited by The Cush on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Whenever Eircom actually do finish there'll probably be a scatter of premises - that they've ignored - within the blue areas (because that's what they're like).

So given that there's no broadband USO, the Minister hasn't yet defined adequate broadband, and ComReg's Copper switch-off decision has been postponed, it looks like (at the moment) that NBI will have to clear up the Eircom mess after Eircom have finished - by some means.

That doesn't mean NBI won't meet their original contract roll-out deadline or even that the Minister thinks they won't.

That probably sums it up, government target is 2028, both NBI and now eir say 2026. Let's hope it's the latter for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

General question here.

I seen a temporary sign at the side of a rural road here in Donegal, with NBI SURVEYING AHEAD.

How long from that appearing and superfast broadband becoming available in said area?

There's no standard timeline. Best advice is check your Eircode on the NBI website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭baz9375

For me it was just over a year. Our area was surveyed in March 2020 and we went "Available to order" in May 2021.

·       08 March 2020 – Road surveyed (NBI Eircode checker – area pending Survey)

·       March/April 2020 – NBI Eircode checker updated to: “Surveying Underway”  with go live date estimated as Jan-March 2021

·       15.05.20 NBI Eircode checker updated to “Survey Completed” with go live date estimated as Jan-March 2021

·       10.08.20 NBI Eircode checker go live dates changed to as Feb-April 2021

·       01 Sept 2020 – First sightings of NBI vans in the area

·       14 Sept 2020 – local newspaper reporting that network build has commenced in the area

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2020/09/14/build-for-national-broadband-network-begins-in-cavan/

·       24 Sept 2020 – Work on our road commences; Secto branded NBI van and hoist - Damaged poles marked and ducting attached to poles.

·       28 Sept 2020 – Damaged poles replaced

·       05 Oct 2020 - NBI Eircode checker updated to "Network build in progress" and the date changed from Jan 2021 - March 2021 to February 2021 - April 2021

·       17.12.20 – NBI/Secto crew hang fibre cables on the poles

·       16.01.20 – NBI Billboards installed in the area

·       20.01.20 – NBI/Secto crew installed DPs

·       27.01.20 – Text from Digiweb “ Dear Customer, thank you for your recent Digiweb NBI pre order. Your target go live date is from February 2021. We will notify you as soon as we have any further updates. Digiweb 1800285828”

·       29.01.21 – Local newspaper reports first Cavan connection

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/01/29/the-allisons-make-a-a-piece-of-digital-history/?fbclid=IwAR2ehfyt8W-Dgpciv8mgPU8H713VxFSZ-1IFrXeX_lt3dun5b3xfgwDYF7A

·       29.01.21 – Some Cavan Eircodes update to “Available to order”

·       09.02.21 – NBI/Secto crew back on our road installing additional DP

·       15.03.21 - NBI Eircode checker updated to "Network build complete" and the go live date changed from Feb 2021 - April 2021 to January 2021 – May 2021

·       01.04.21 NBI Eircode checker updated to go live date of 4th May 2021

·       04.05.21 NBI Eircode checker updated to “Available to order”

·       04.05.21 (9.00am) Text from Digiweb to confirm install date of 07.05.21

·       06.05.21 Call from KN installer to confirm installation time

·       07.05.21 KN installer arrived at 9.30am – install completed at 11.45

·       07.05.21 Speedtest run 551Mbps Download and 55.3Mbps upload (ping 6ms)

Considering the national survey is due to complete by the end of the year and the rollout to complete 3 years later, timelines between survey completion and fibre rollout will be difficult to estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

According to NBI they have formally agreed, with the Department, the target for the coming contract year. The figure is 185000 premises passed at the end of January 2024 and was mentioned here previously. I had hoped that there would have been a more ambitious revised target considering that at the end of January 2023 there are 118000 premises passed.

https://nbi.ie/news/events/2023/02/22/nbi-agrees-targets-for-current-project-year/

Pretty sure they're under promising and over delivering. If they don't hit 210k in that time I'll drop my 1gbps package to 500 😂

AVM published details of the new Fritzbox models last week:

Looks like the likely product for the ISPs here will be:

FRITZ!Box 5690 XGS

• High-speed fiber optic router for up to 10 Gbit/s
    • Supports the XGS-PON fiber optic standard
    • Can be used on a fiber optic modem (ONT) with 10 Gbit/s (WAN).
    • Mesh Wi-Fi, 4x4 on 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz / Wi-Fi 7, 6E, 6
    • Wi-Fi speeds: 2.4 GHz: up to 1200 Mbit/s, 5 GHz: up to 5760 Mbit/s
    • 1 x 10-gigabit LAN/WAN port and 4 LAN ports at 1 Gbit/s
    • Telephony via DECT, IP/SIP and 1 analog telephone connection (FXS)
    • Smart Home via DECT ULE and Zigbee, Matter in preparation
    • 1 x USB 3.1 (Gen 2) for mobile broadband dongles (5G/4G) as well as storage media and printers

I must admit I'm disappointed. The only way to utilize wired 2gbps+ connections downstream is to have the Fritzbox act as the ONT in place of NBI's own Nokia box. There should have been a second 2.5gbps+ port to allow downstream multi-gig connections. Still, I suppose the main takeaway should be more ISPs starting to offer 2+gbps connections now that the CPE is catching up.

Post edited by heavydawson on

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

Vodafone site was saying 2gb available to me but says nothing about NBI (it isn't actually available yet) VF support reckon it's a glitch...

I've just been on Digiweb site & they say 1000mb is available through NBI.

They're the only other site showing anything available, wonder if it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Akenny010

April -June. Was previously Feb-April

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Thanks!

This is the exact info I logged on to find. (Just seen the initial surveying start on the road)

For me it was:

Road surveyed March 2020.

Available to preorder March 2023

• Advertisement

Communications Regulation and Digital Hub Development Agency (Amendment) Bill signed into law by the President on Thursday.

The Communications Regulation and Digital Hub Development Agency (Amendment) Act 2023 together with S.I. No. 444/2022 - European Union (Electronic Communications Code) Regulations 2022 transposes the European Electronic Communications Code into Irish law

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Connected at last! Vodafone right now 509/49Mb. South kilkenny.

I'm +20 yrs working 'hybrid' (as it's now called, originally with dial-up modem!) Coming from recent €48pm for 20Mb/5 FWA to €35pm for 500/50mb is fantastic.

Circet scheduled install Thu between 8am - 12, txt the day before to confirm, guys arrived 7.45 that morning - were happy to use old phone line to pull fibre through the existing duct to the pole, and fed to me in the attic. Left sufficient cable in attic to allow future modem relocation. A very good service by Circet, nice guys, worked out great.

Out of curiosity anyone know whos responsility it is if a pole falls down on a private road? NBI use mostly Eir poles so is it a case of NBI looking after their own ones (that they errected) and Eir likewise?

Asking as my mum is being connected (17 new poles) from the puplic road and she has had a history of poles going down when copper was connected years ago. Road has forestry all round.

In the first instance you report it to your retail provider, they will then take it up with the wholesaler be it NBI or open-eir. In the end it will likely be repaired by a third-party contractor working for both wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So bumped into a guy doing a NBI survey on our road this week. More like I saw the NBI van and road signs out for the survey and I hunted him down ;-)

So our road has been surveyed and the surveyor said that the NBI implementation is normally about 2 years behind the survey :-( Can anyone give me any hope that it might be sooner than that ;-)

Ridiculous really, Eir fibre roll out stopped one house away leaving 4 houses not covered and now the NBI will be running another set of cables along the same road just for those 4 houses. Well 2 houses really as only 2 will take it up the other two houses being holiday homes that are occupied for no more than 4 weeks each year.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Similar situation here except we haven't been surveyed yet.

NBI CEO Peter Hendrick said on Morning Ireland recently that the survey would be completed by the end of the year but a recent Department document on agreed numbers for the contract year ahead appears to differ.

In any case as the survey nears completion the gap between survey and rollout will widen as the rollout isn't due to complete until the end of 2026.

What is the estimated rollout date for your area on the NBI website, this is the best indicator to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Just found the relevant email "We estimate that the premises at Eircode XXXXXX will be connected between January 2025 - December 2026 Current Build Status: Survey Pending" which is in line with what the guy was telling me. The website states the same.

I have a good stable connection using a link to a neighbours fibre connection but it would be nice to have our own.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Road outside my house getting surveyed yesterday too.

Again I went and spoke to the guy on the road but he said he couldn't give me any indication of timeliness just to keep checking the website as once the survey data is fed back they will update the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

A friends was surveyed about a year ago and still shows as 2025-2026. There was another guy back in November and he said that he was just snagging (his words) what the first guy did and to expect it inside the year but there's no movement since and website still showing 2025-2026. It's in the first DA that went Survey Complete but with a date of 2025-2026

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 MrT_Barry

Hoping someone can help me out here.

I moved into a new build in the Bettystown area before Christmas and have been struggling on the mobile broadband life for the past few months. The guys from Secto came around last week installing fibre and I spoke to him and he said it should be available to order in a week or so. We have a manhole directly outside each driveway which he lay the fibre and goes to the box on the side of our house. Another guy then arrived at the end of the week to splice the cables.

Problem is the NBI website and all the resellers seem to have no information that my estate was being connected. NBI site shows "Review underway - New building not yet assigned a Deployment Area". I called NBI also and they said they're not sue as on their side they can't see anyone has even come out to us yet.

Any idea in terms of timelines how long this would take to be available to order or is anyone else in the same boat?? Bit frustrating as the technician suggested it was actually ready now but just can't order. Was hoping to get myself on a contract before the beginning of April when the prices go up :(

Advertisement