Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Broadband no Contract

Options
  • 21-03-2023 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Previously with Eir and had 100mb broadband. Eir rep called to the door saying Fiber was now available in area and to ring up to upgrade package. Was out of contract a month later so waited till then.

Best deal was with sky. Installer had Problem with line/ducts being blocked out in the public area. Am being told it could be months before sorted.

Have a good few connected things at home lights/doorbell etc. and obviously need for wifi for TV/Streaming/work

Any suggestions on a good short term fix that doesn't lock into 12 month contract?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hotspot from your phone, providing not strained by data allowance.

Other than that - 4G/5G router with prepay SIM card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Has your existing broadband with Eir been cancelled? If not, you could just keep it rolling but I guess its a lot more expensive.

Not sure if there's anyone that offers a short term contracts any longer apart from Blacknight offer a rolling 30-day contract for fibre only (NBI areas) which isn't much good to you

Best bet may be mobile broadband which all depends in the coverage in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Ronney

Thanks for the replys. Yea existing Contract has been cancelled, has taken about a month of back and forward to figure out the issues.

Sky came to fit no joy

2nd crew from Cirset (working on behalf of open Eir) came couldn't sort blockage.

Ciscet/Open Eir have pushed this back to Sky as they need to authorize works

Sky cant offer me any interm package - They need to contact council as works in public area.

have been using hot spot but not ideal as I'm not always home wife/kids etc. ad swapping phones/reconnecting everythig.

Any good suggestions on Mobile routers? most seam to have 6/12 month contracts? Probably looking down the road of buying mobile rooter and 30 day sim.

House is in a Dublin Housing estate so coverage grand

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Eleusis

Starlink is €85p/m with no contract and €17 for rental of dish. Im not 100% sure, but rental of dish might have requirment of a contract though. Service is quite good and relaiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 fuggets

What speed are you getting since latest price reduction (€65 pm)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 fuggets

I have a similar issue. I live in an estate where both neighbours have high speed (FTTH). Duct is flattened inside the property (rented) and both inside and outside the property the duct is literally a half inch waterpipe put there by the lazy builders when they decided to have a laugh on the day. I’m with Sky (100Mbps / FTTC) and they have been absolutely no help. Tried Vodafone who told me after 3 months that high speed broadband is ‘undeliverable’. They offered me €50. I told them to keep it on general principle. Eir were the same - started off with ‘no problem at all’ talk and ended in ‘it’s undeliverable’. Circet have been worse than useless - constantly telling me the ball is in Sky’s court. Sky telling me that it’s up to Circet. I’ve basically wasted 3.5 years of my life trying to get high speed. And I’ve said many times - it’s not that these companies can’t provide it, it’s that they won’t provide it, i.e. couldn’t be bothered. Circet are are about as much use as t**s on a fish. Where I live there’s no virgin media and with all the 4G/5G providers they say coverage is tip top in the area. I can tell you it’s rubbish because I’ve tested all of them. I’ve now ordered Starlink (which reduced to €65 a month on 17/04/2023). So hopefully my misery will end. (Not the worst misery to be fair, mind you).

Advertisement