Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

WEEKEND RESULTS ....FAIRLY TYPICAL

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

No context here, how many entered? Forward tees? Placing everywhere? Wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Preferred lies ,mixture of tees. Some forward end of members tees some forward end of championship. Some rain some wind...Its ireland lad...Patricks weekend... MARCH...

59 Friday AND 87 Sunday Played.

24 equalled or bettered their h/c Friday

32 equalled or bettered their h/c Sunday

Course rating is 71.6 slope 133

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭benny79

This is my thoughts exactly. Agree though nobody should have a handicap more that 24! and this is whats killing the WHS imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is high scoring.....but...

In fairness was 42 or 43 ever considered out of reach ?..with forward tees in part and placing ..it is going to be high scoring (not in my reach ) ...but it is going to be in early 40s....yes the 47 is daft ...but that is Div 3 and will be a feature of div 3 going forward with high upper limits...that isn't a whs issue.

It has been pointed out a few times ..and we just haven't got our head around it ...but as WHS is an average based system..loads of people will be equalling their handicap...their average performance is equaling their handicap.

Whilst it appears people have lost a bit of confidence in WHS for club golf...we do need to understand it is an average based system ...it isn't comparable to old system...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

As Fixde said high scoring but nothing to be hysterical about given the forward tees and placing. High 40s prevalent in Div 3 in tougher conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

And add in a comp over two different days. Weather can play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well actually high handicaps were there before WHS. they are just more of a “problem” now.

a review needs to be done on WHS but I suspect it will never happen because what do we know as we are just mere mortal golfers.

keep principal of average but broaden the scope, best 6 of 30. Limit increases to 2 higher than lowest in last year, 3 is to many, 5 is criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

But isn't it the case that no matter what system is used, there will always be a lag between a players ability/form etc and their handicap reflecting that ?

I agree some of the scores being reported do seem whacky since WHS came in, but I think its a few factors, mostly around being that its an average based system, it automatically brings almost the entire field into contention on a given Saturday. It might not be PC to say this, but I personally think that, under CONGU, if you had a field of 150 players, probably 100 of them were wasting their time and money entering, they had no chance whatsoever. If you're average Joe club guy, CONGU really nailed you for that really good round, and even worse if you had two good ones with the ESR. You could have some high handicapper had the round of his life in ideal conditions (let's say 40 yards of run in the summer), loses 4 shots and then reverts to his "normal", but his normal 30pts is now 26/27pts, and he won't go back to his old handicap for 4 years.

Also with it being average based, you've probably got half the, now more competitive, field likely to beat their handicap each day. Maybe WHS has swung too far the other way from CONGU, I don't really think so tbh, I know most weeks in my place the scores don't seem to be too mad. You get the odd one, but you always got that anyway. I'd totally disregard winter scores anyway, conditions are usually so far removed from real golf they're almost a different sport imo.

I dunno, is your handicap there to help you compete or stop you competing, or help you compete but not too much ? The idea of demonstrated ability is so subjective in a way. Like, demonstrated since when ? last year, 5 years ago, 10 years ago ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wonder how long it'll take before we stop talking about this "new system". I would love to leave Congu in the past but I'm still drawn to the discussions.

The purple patch / ESR / long period to get back to a "proper" handicap is often criticised as a major failing of Congu. And it was imo, but the frustrating thing is that it could have been so easily avoided. It should have been very easy to set up triggers for reviews... I.e Player A hasn't hit the buffer in 10 rounds, handicap should be reviewed on top of his 10 0.1s.

Same case with initial handicaps, lads were left for years with handicaps they couldn't play to, totally demoralising for them, and it should have been avoided relatively easily with a few relatively simple reviews/automatic flags being built into the system.

It must be said that ESR's worked well in an awful lot of cases when guys were improving. But not for the purple patch guy.

• Advertisement

back of an envelope stuff. but i think it was pretty much known that under CONGU you were expected to play to your handicap once in about 8 rounds. Logically averaging your handicap brings that number down. average of 8 means likely somewhere between 3-5 rounds out of best 8 will be better than the average. so that means 3-5 rounds out of last 20 will be better than your handicap. or about 1 in 4. but not only that you play to your handicap, you beat it and sometimes massively. its a vastly different system, and it's not a good one

Yep, that's it exactly. I think it makes the massive beating of handicap much more likely (arguably even expected).

Totally agree. Honestly I don't mind what system we use, I'll score what I score and have no motivation for prizes. I think I probably prefer WHS but really its like 51:49 in favour. I like how current it is and how you can have a few games where a bad round won't impact you (obviously depending on your sequence of 20). The flip is that its much more volatile and when a really good, counting score drops off your record, you can have a fairly big jump in H/C, which if you're trying to get down or improving can be annoying. Still, I guess its only a number !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

But @PARlance what would the reviews have done to correct the injustice of too low a handicap? The Handicap Committee would give shots back on top of the 0.1s but how many? Would they give enough so the player could regularly play his handicap or partly fix it? It would be quite subjective and put a lot of work on the committee.

I think WHS effectively does what you've suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It would have had to be subjective and imperfect. A good HC Sec would have been able to look at the scoring form and make a call. Completely agree that it would have put a fair bit of work on the HC Committee which mightn't be fair, but ESR's / too low of an initial handicap were fairly infrequent.

In general terms I think Congu was a really good system. It was unfair is a fairly small minority of cases where HCs didn't go out fast enough for some genuine cases. It would have involved more work for the HC Sec but my suggestion would have helped resolve one of the major flaws in it imo.

WHS does quickly correct things. In genuine cases that's great. But it also allows not so genuine cases to quickly build up their HC.

If I was to choose who had control of this, I would prefer the HC Sec to have that control.

Hmm, I think there were loads of handicaps too low under CONGU. Most clubs wouldn't give an adult male more than 20 regardless of what cards they submitted. It could take years to get out to something close to what you could play to.

As regards HCs having most of the controls, I'd disagree. There would be too much inconsistency across clubs. A system which makes most calculations automatically, while allowing HCs an override is likely to be more consistent and also less work for the HCs who are just volunteers.

GreeBo ...I personally think getting people to play off different tees sounds great in theory...but in practice, it is hard enough to get 4 people to tee off from the one tee...would be chaos, dangerous and slow..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

My place has added some new language to their competition eligibility for this year.

Now saying to win a Major, the matchplays, or GOTY you have to have a Fully Developed Handicap (which I'm reading to mean that you have to have 20 scores on your record)

would disagree regarding tees

good golfers become great golfers with a honed short game. length helps, but i know a lot of really low guys who wouldn't have length off the tee, they are just lethal with their short game

I actually think this is a really good idea! My course is long and at the moment I am really struggling to hit GIR I never tracked this before now. I have had a lesson and my technique is very poor something I was surprised at and am working on. Anyway I played Rathsallagh recently and its a shorter course and was hitting way more GIR and this made my round much more enjoyable.

• Advertisement

True enough about the lower guys, but prior to WHS it was predominately the lower guys playing to their H/C as they were more consistent. There was an article maybe 6 months ago showing that its a much more even spread under WHS. A low guy is rarely going to win the overall, its just the nature of the game (unless conditions are bad) - we all know a 20 h/c has more scope to shoot 4 shots under than a scratch. I mean for the sake of argument, let's say a scratch guy could shoot 5 under on his best day, does that mean that a higher handicap shouldn't be allowed or able to go better than -5 ? When net scores are king, the low guys always get short shrift. Most of them are fine with that anyway from what I've seen - they generally speaking have different goals in the sport, lowest handicap possible, qualify for a Championship, win a scratch cup etc.

I totally disagree about the amount of effort argument tbh. Your handicap is meant to let everyone compete, not to let them compete if they put in X amount of effort. Who decides on what is an acceptable amount of effort ? To me, that argument just doesn't stand up. I mean, I see the point, but you're just never going to have a system that's absolutely "fair" to the best gross golfers, they're too much of a minority and they're competing against a theoretically now bigger number of golfers able to beat their handicap. I assume for the vast majority, golf is simply their pastime, probably equal part social and "sport" as such ? Is that fair to say ? Some people are just never going to be good at golf (in terms of their gross score) but they love it and enjoy it and their handicap allows them to occasionally be competitive. I don't think its right to tell anyone you can only have 18 shots because you could practice harder. All that said, I don't know where I'd draw the line, I don't think anyone should have 54 shots either.

I think the really low handicaps sort of have to accept that they're basically playing a different sport to the majority. They're the best and they system is designed to let everyone compete somewhat equally. Low handicappers are always complaining about something anyway (and I am one-ish). That's why personally I think there should be a gross prize in every competition and why class or category prizes should really come to the fore. The different tees argument is fine (maybe even great) in theory but I think you just wouldn't get the buy-in from golfers conditioned to a lifetime of playing from the same tees as everyone else. Pride alone would prevent it and that's before you'd even think about Joe off 18 who can easily hit it 250yds but can't chip or putt, or John off 6 who can only hit it 200 but chips and putts like a demon. Just can't really see it being practical tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

We introduced a medal alternative in our place a few years ago.

It's for seniors only and played off the yellows (which are forward from the whites) rather than the blues, so it is achievable in theory.

Would take a major educational,etc... change in terms of selling it as there's not much worse than a bruised male ego on a golf course over whether or not they can play off the back tees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Do people think your HI reflects your current ability?

If it doesn't, do you think your too high or too low?

Would CONGU be more accurate?

But no matter what handicap someone is, a guy who shoots 90 gross on average has more scope to have a round of say 84 than someone who shoots 73 on average has of shooting 67. Limiting his handicap isn't going to change that, that's just the way golf is. Surely we can't run a system based on how the very best play or what they can shoot, can we ?

Abolishing the overall prize and just having class prizes achieves the same thing really as having different competitions off different tees, no ? I think to an extent its simply a case of majority rule and the majority are not the single figure guys. I honestly don't think there's a major issue, although maybe I'm conditioned/apathetic to it all by now ! Who are the low guys to tell the high guys they have to play a shortened course because their handicaps might mean they'll shoot a score a low man can't do ? or to tell them they'll enjoy it more ?

I think ultimately the debate is almost can or should "serious" golfers compete with "casual" golfers or in the same competition as them. I though the whole premise of a handicap system was to let them. Obviously it has flaws but IMHO separating them completely isn't the way to go. Its great on paper but in the Irish context it would never work IMHO.

I think WHS in theory is excellent in telling you your current average ability - CONGU was not deigned to do that.

It was too slow to gain in CONGU - so this system is better in that regard.

The problem is - it is almost too fast. You can win an event have a good round - but by literally a few casual games of golf with a mate - non competitive rounds, your handicap can change rather dramatically again - as you shift 2 or 3 good scores out of your record.

I think the thing that people have an issue with is - as it is an average - higher handicaps will have a higher average - and a larger range (STD Deviation) - and this average minus their range , gives them a Net potential , way beyond what is possible for mid to lower handicap players.

It is early days - and it will be an interesting summer. As system is way more established - and there are so many more golfers around - and new ones.

I think my own conclusion is that - WHS is a better system , more enjoyable for tracking your performance , and gives you control and freedom of your time you play. I think it is damaging to Irish Club competitions personally - but in relation to monitoring your own performance for you , it is better.

The fact clubs are moving to an increased emphasis of Cat - means , that WHS is not working for them.

We need to remember that it is not just WHS - and the upper limits that are doing the rounds - and people playing off handicaps in the 30s - winning stuff , whilst not that often - will bring any system into disrepute.

Whilst I never heard of it used before- you could have a competition played based on a % of handclap - 10 % of 30 is 3 ------- 10 % of 10 is 1.

You are competing for % improvement in the round - but we like to think in shots and relative to par 72 - and 36 pts - so that is a bit out there - but somewhat solves the issue of scalability that is often talked about.

Anyway - it is here to stay , not changing - but if clubs are changing their competitions , golfers are stating their disquiet.

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

I just looked back over the 5 x 18 hole competitions in my club for March. Playing Handicaps of the overall winners were 12, 16, 18, 18, 24. The 12 winner had 45 points but others were 39, 40, 41 points. No major prevalence of high scoring in the division 3 or 4, in fact the highest scoring on 2 days was in division 1.

So, as I've said in previous posts, I can't see the problems others are calling out. Perhaps some courses lend themselves more to exceptional scoring?

Also, I think some people are equating lower handicaps with more effort to improve. That simply is not the case. There are many low handicaps who put in very little effort (maybe they once did to get low) while I know golfers at higher handicaps who get regular lessons, range time and games.

Id be one of them play a lot get lessons, range, gym, even swing speed sticks off 17 playing golf years never got lower! Playing partner off 13 plays once a week thats it.. Actually does my head in 😂 I also find a lot of single figure guys who dont play golf much or put in the work so to speak, took golf up at a very young age! as in 8 or 10 years old.

Post edited by benny79 on

I personally wouldn't be jumping in joy with your sample. Even if a very small sample.

The guy off 12 - went around in 3 over ?

All other winners were in the region we are saying is inaccessible to lower guys. They are off 12 to 24.

Yes the higher , higher handicaps are another topic.

But guys off 12 to 24 - most can play golf - fairly well. They all have the ability to shoot much better golf , particularly the guys in the 12 to 18 area.

Your sample didn't have a great range of Cat - and you might find that WHS is very rewarding to guys in this area - that can play golf , can get a comfortable average - but shoot 9 better than their WHS - this will not happen all the time , but will happen more - and there will be way more scores in the 40 to 45 range - way more.

@FixdePitchmark those 5 winners would fall into Division 1, 2, 3, 3, 4 which would be reasonably reflective of the distribution of handicaps in our club. That was the same for a larger sample throughout 2022. There were very few scores of 45 or more. 41 would be typical winning score.

I recall that under CONGU you were expected to exceed your buffer of 33 points 1/8 of your games. This should translate to 1/8 (12.5%) of the field having 33 or more points. Under WHS the scoring generally seems to be much higher with maybe 12.5% equaling 36 points or more. So perhaps the 39 points score that would have won on CONGU now needs to be 42 for the win.

Post edited by billy3sheets on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There was a method under CONGU for identifying members who weren't able to play to their handicaps. And the guidance was to give them shots back. This was almost never done in my experience. There was a report that listed players with seven or more consecutive 0.1s which was to be reviewed with a view to giving those players a handicap increase.

And this was to be continuous. In other words these potential adjustments would be flagged as they arose and were to be considered and actioned on that basis and not held back to the AHR. This was in place since 2016.

Advertisement