Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir broadband

• 12-01-2023 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Hi, thinking of going to Eir for Gigabit home broadband. I've been with Eir previously and their after sales service was atrocious. I'm just wondering what they are like now and what sort of range does their router have. Thanking you.

Post edited by Blade on

Best Answers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

still poor . ok once you dont have any issues . the f3000 is a poor modem and has wifi management thats not good and has ipv6 set on that causes a lot of problems for people who dont know about it , and guest wifi can be on 2 . you need to know what your doing and you be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I've been with eir for the last 4 years.

Never had an issue and found an engineer turned up quickly if there was damage to the fibre coming into the house. I've a lot of tractors and milk trucks passing the house and the vibration occasionally breaks the fibre.

Usually drive a hard bargain on renewal and get a good deal.

Paying €45 a month for 500mbs, landline and 2 mobiles sim only.

They’re not as bad as they used to be most of the time to be fair. Odd ignorant sod on the customer care lines but generally little to complain about, surprisingly.

I’ve been with Eir on and off since the last few years and I’ve never had as little to complain about.

In my experience my eir is still garbage but good enough, I suppose. The wait times if you do need to ring are sound enough but the fibre is way more reliable than the copper was (plus maybe it’s just me but I see the KN lads messing with the cabinets a lot) so uptime is good.

Been with them for FTTH since last summer and not once has the service dropped. Had a couple of months before that on FTTC and they made a balls of upgrading. Someone closed the whole account down so they had to setup a new one, made life fun regarding MyEir.. but otherwise wasn’t a major deal. Had to use new account number though, didn’t really mind.

But was a serious what the fcuk moment when they rang me to explain what happened haha. Overall no major complaints though. Compared to vodafone anyway, way better.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd recommend going to the siro site to see who services your area.

I've used PureTelecom (good modem - Fritzbox), vodafone (using it now). Sky also offer similar, but they had an install fee, so I didn't bother with them. They offer the same service really, for 35 per month. I switch between them annually if they try to increase the charges.

Answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ECookie13

Not to mention they deliver equipment via fastway still so don't be surprised if some knacker driver steals your parcel and marks it delivered, or throws it onto the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I'm with Virgin. To be fair, product is superb, as is service on the very rare occasion we've needed it. We have unlimited international calls and 250Mb BB for €62 p/m.

I just checked the Eir service locator tool and our area (Dublin 14) is set up for 100Mb BB and unlimited national calls (not international) for €34.99 p/m for 12 month contract.

So, given we use BB only for email - no gaming, the only heavy usage would be Netflix via Google dongle - and working from home (the odd Zoom call), we'd save almost €30 p/m over Virgin. Of course, we'd then have to use WhasApp for international calls, which we use quite a bit.

I know I'm not comparing like with like, but I'm tempted to try Eir and save €350 per annum. However, the comments above about service make me nervous.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I'm with eir for the last three years without any problems, even moved from city to rural Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

Found Eir's customer service shocking in the past, but I've been with them for 2 or 3 years now and everything's gone swimmingly *touch wood*.

Think I'm paying €75 per month for 1gb fibre and 2no. sims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm into my third year now with Eir, and just upgraded to FTTH - I also have little to complain about. I'm paying €50 a month for 500mb broadband and a 5G phone package, both of which so far have been stable and reliable. Customer service has been good the three or four times I have had cause to ring them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

Coming to the end of my 2 year 1GB fibre and landline for €55 p/m. How have people found them when it comes to trying to get a decent renewal deal from them? Not had any issues with them or the service when I've had to deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭beachhead

No one has mentioned the annual CPI + 3% onto monthly bills if starting a new contract rather than letting the old one run on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,917 ✭✭✭Soarer

I did the same about 12 months ago.

Just rang them and said I'm perfectly happy where I am, and if you can do me the same deal again, I'll sign for another 2 years.

Which they did, and I did.

Decisions, decisions!

On a related matter, thinking of going back to Sky for TV (we stopped our Sky connection about three years ago and just stuck with free channels and Netflix) But, now they’re offering tv and Netflix for €30, making the tv about €15 of that.

But, for a little more, they add BB to that. Would love to be able to bargain with Virgin over what we’re paying for BB.

I’ve never been a switcher for BB; maybe I should become one.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Del007

I don't think sky are offering the tv as part of that deal. I think it's BB, Netflix and the sky q box with no tv channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'm ftth siro and I just swap between pure and sky each year 30-35 per month for 500Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

mmmm in a weak moment i renewed contract during the week...pretty sure they said i had a x day cooling off period.

Anyone know if this is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OrangeLavender

May have changed but two nears ago - my mother had second thoughts after renewing with Eir and I rang up to help her cancel within her cooling off period and they said that yes, she could cancel but that it would mean if she couldn't connect to another provider in time - she might have to pay a re connection fee. SO awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

Anyone know how feasible it is to get EIR to connect FTTH?

We have max 100/24 where I am but a business opposite side of street has proper fiber.

Can you call them or any option like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭gip

Just update on eir broadband. I haven't had any problem so far and installation was just a swop around router which was easy to configure and giving decent coverage. I've had to install an extender as WiFi range isn't great on router supplied by eir but apart from that happy enough. I did have to contact customer care on a discrepancy in first bill and was a little nervous due to previous encounters but it was sorted in 5 min by a very pleasant agent. Eir seem to have upped their game towards customer care. 24 month contract @ €45 monthly for gigabyte and landline (which is something that I very rarely use but it was part of the package) it's reasonable enough but would rather if it was 12 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭HHH

With Eir 4 years with no issues. Wanted to renew my €44/month 150mb BB line, home phone and 1X sim deal last week. Sales team said they could do €54/month or maybe less but I needed to go through "Loyalty" to get the discount. Was quoted €59.99 and no less with the loyalty department after 2 calls with them (Over 2 hours on the phone). Cancelled the sub out of frustration and moved to Vodafone. Won't be going back any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭ablelocks

one big switch have a €30 a month offer with Sky running until end of march. Vodafone matched it so in the end i didn't have to switch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭in2dark

How is your experience with pure? I have 1 month left with sky and thinking of switching

What is Sky BB like? Is the wifi good?

I'm with Virgin - both the cable and the wifi are excellent. But, the price (€62 p/m, BB and phone) are hurting me.

D.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've had pure, and the only reason I switched was the price hike after 12 months. I may well go back this year. Or sky. Or vodafone. :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Pure are grand, no issues. Dashboard is quite basic but other than that, it works grand. You get a fritzbox which is nice and you get to keep it.

I don't bother with VF because an engineer must call to basically hand you a box to plug in. Sky/Pure do self install

In what way is Sky self-install?

Is the BB via the dish, or via cable?

What is wifi like?

Many thanks!

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Self install broadband is often used now, they send you the modem/router and you connect it to your phone line socket and they give you a time and date when it will be active from.

that’s the way it’s always been for me when I’ve switched providers anyway

The internet isn’t for everyone