Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

I tried to get upgrade to Zappi but no luck. Would only supply the one charger - the EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Heyhorse

Chassie number received and I have applied for home charger via Energia.

not sure if EO can be upgraded to solar compatible.

would it be worth considering purchasing Zappi or similar Solar PV compatible charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Agreed. A few previous comments on this issue. The Energia 'free' EO charger is a false economy. You get a terrible rate and it doesn't communicate with solar panels. Wish I had gone with Zappi.

Don't think it's possible to 'upgrade' later. I mean, it would cost the same as getting a Zappi in the first place, wouldn't it? Happy to be corrected on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Minifox

Perhaps I misunderstood your comment. The EO website and EO Support say it's solar compatible but I gave up trying after three Irish companies told me that it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

AFAIK, if you go for the "free" Energia charger, you have to sign up to their tariffs and maybe a one or two year deal ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's a long time since I looked into it, but IIRC the Pro models (I don't know if that's what Energia supply) can be made solar compatible by adding extra hardware modules.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

We installed EO three years ago, about to get solar panels installed and every place I got a quote from said while the EO will talk to the panels it's not as smooth functionality wise as a Zappi.

Obviously won't get a second grant but managed to get a Zappi installed for a grand as part of the solar panel install. That's about cost price for the Zappi, hopefully can get a few hundred for the second hand used EO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sitting waiting for AA to show up after leaving keys in car then locking remotely due to being nagged by UVO (I know, I should have retrieved key when nagged rather than using remote lock). The problem is that UVO now won’t unlock the car. Will let me do everything else - remote climate control, remote lock (again) but Unlock always returns the same message: ‘Fail. Cannot unlock door. Please check vehicle status’. I am feeling very foolish. Anyone ever had this happen and have a solution (beyond waiting 3 hrs for AA)?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I would have expected the doors to just unlock by pressing the handle button/trying the boot if the keys are in range. I’ve almost locked mine in a couple of times but the car made a noise to remind me I was stupid lol 😆

Yes the car seems to have decided to override the keys being in range because it was locked with the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

I've discovered recently that the keyless unlock isn't as simple as the key being in range, so it may be that the keys being in the car aren't enough to allow unlocking it. The specific circumstance that prompted my observation was that a passenger couldn't use the door button to unlock on their side with the keys in my pocket on the driver's side, so the detection seems to be based off more than proximity to the car, and is more granular/precise than that.

Doesn't necessarily help the previous poster, but something to be aware of nonetheless.

Kia Assist aka the AA sent out a locksmith who expertly used an airbag to prise the door enough to get a rod in and press the start button. Took 5 mins and no damage. No cost to me, beyond waiting nearly 4 hours. (The guy who came out was there in no time having been subcontracted by the official AA fella who was run off his feet apparently - that seemed to be the gist of it anyway.)

I'd been googling in the meantime of course and found this is a common problem. Bottom line, lesson learned and I will never lock the car with the app unless I am sure the key is not inside. (A key inside usually means then other key can't lock the car, or you can't lock via the door handle, but the UVO app does not seem to know this and will happily lock the car for you and then not let you back in.)

Amazed I'm only discovering this 2.5 years in. It's still a great car!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Glad you got it sorted. Do you not have a spare key? Just wondering would that have worked?

Yes, we have two keys but both were locked in car. Stupid I know.

OH!!!! :-(

We live and learn.

I'm curious to know what the procedure was. Did he inflate an airbag in the side of the door? How did he not do any damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I didn’t know you could lock with the app! But after your post I won’t ever do it. What a saga but at least you got sorted.

It’s called an air wedge. Best way to create a small gap without damaging door, apparently. Google will show you how it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My dad picked up a Niro EV this year, both his first Kia and first EV, so he’s been figuring it all out since.

One issue that he had has me a bit stumped. He plugged into an eCars charger but started it using his EasyGo app (he got some free EG credit). However when he went to disconnect, the EG app was just freezing so no joy.

There’s a button to the right of the charge port but it doesn’t seem to force quit the charging. I had to call eCars for him to get the charger stopped and unlocked.

How do you force quit a Niro from charging? On my car the button near the charge port stops everything when pressed (and car is unlocked etc.).

Edit: I did have a look at his user manual and it’s not clear at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭zg3409

Pressing unlock on remote twice normally ends charging session and unlocks cable. It's best to stop from the charger if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Thanks, I’ll let him know to try that.

The charger was basically uncontactable because of the EasyGo app just doing a spinning wheel. And obviously the eCars app had no connection because he didn’t use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Bixler3

Anybody know of any Kia dealer with a 2023 Kia Niro EV K3 model in any colour other than white, looking to upgrade my 202 Kia Soul EV

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭vinniem

Kia Waterford (Sheridans) are advertising 231 Niro's for immediate delivery..but I can't verify that!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

I see that Kia have snuck in another price increase - K4 EV was € 44,900 until recently

Wow! I took this screenshot back in Aug 2022 (before I purchased my K4)...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Girl 2011

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had their battery fail? We have a 201 car and it died there the other day. From talking to the garage they say the battery only has a two year warranty. Typical when go to look into the warranty. Also when the car restarted the radio I could not turn if off nor would buttons work on the dash board (volume/map button etc. ) I could adjust volume with steering wheel. Anyone had anything similar or battery issue just after the apparent 2 year warranty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

So a price drop for the K3 based on those two screenshots ?

To fix the buttons not working press the reset button near the volume. Small pen or tooth pick will do the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭icom

K3 EV was not detailed in the older screenshot, it was the Hybrid.

It has increased by a grand too !

Post edited by icom on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Guys, did I do something wrong? Plugged to an ESB 22 kW charger using standard Kia Type 2 cable and yet the car showed only 11 kW on the display. Any ideas?

Advertisement