Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I can’t believe I actually read someone say that a book about a serial killer who dresses as a woman to trick men is being labelled as transphobic

It goes all the way back to The Silence of the Lambs and maybe beyond https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silence_of_the_Lambs_(film)#Analysis

The wokes are relentless in their pursuit of making everything about themselves. I guess some of them are either too young or too ignorant, or both, because having a cult classic like that should make their blood curl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A lot of people throw around insults like that purely because they don't have the intellectual capacity to get involved in a rational debate. They know that they'd lose easily so, instead, they just try to smear the other person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

If you actually read Silence of the Lambs (the book), or watch Psycho, you’ll realise that the “twisted serial killer dressed a woman” trope was actually treated with relative (for their time) sensitivity.

This is opposed to Rowling’s use of the trope, at least forty years past its use-by-date, which was not treated sensitively. This is also when she is simultaneously embroiled in online controversy after controversy over her views on trans-people.

As always, these things come down to the kind of nuance and ability to comprehend wider contexts that the supporters of Rowling tend to ignore. And that’s giving them the benefit of the doubt.

While she has never tweeted any slurs or called for the extermination of trans-people, the fact that she has supported so many people who have leads me firmly to the “if it walks like a duck” conclusion that Rowling is stomping, quacking, and “woo hoo, woo hoo, woo hooing” around like Daffy in a fit of anti-trans apoplexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never tweeting anything abusive is kind of the line for me. She's transphobic, end of story - as in phobia is not nessecarily fear or hatred, it's an irrational discomfort.

That said, I don't have Twitter and don't pay attention to her, so I've no real idea what she's said other than being TERF, and while I don't agree with her, I can see why some ciswomen would be wary of the motives of some transwomen.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

This is a thread for mocking the woke. Not arguing with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Ah feck it since we're back on this topic I give you stupidest tweet of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Premier League referees to stop games in order to allow players to break their Ramadan fasts.Wonder if they will allow adherents of Pastafarianism to break their Ramendan fasts during games by having a big bowl of Ramen noodles on the field?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12839201/ramadan-match-officials-asked-to-provide-opportunity-for-muslim-players-across-premier-league-and-efl-to-break-fast

Europe has done so well to rid itself of Christianity over the past 50 years and yet now it seems to be going in the other direction by pandering to other religions. Same crap happened with Avram Grant when he was manager of West Ham and allowed to miss a game because of Yom Kippur.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Where is the thread for mocking people who invoke the term "woke" for anything they don't agree with, don't understand or makes them feel icky?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

People who are arachnaphobic aren't tying to claim spiders have no right to exist, though.

• Advertisement

jkrowlingphobia - the irrational discomfort and dislike of JK Rowling caused by listening to people who say she is transphobic despite her saying nothing of that sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If Muslim players want to break / end a fast, or engage in any other religious protocol, during a match, then they can remove themselves from selection… simple.

simply football takes precedence, if I pay xx euros to see a certain match, two teams… im not paying to watch any religious carry on, protocols or traditions,

Oh, we can mock the anti-woke too! Some of the anti-woke hysterical **** that's been posted in this thread is just as bad as some of the woke bullshit you find on Twitter! And I say that as someone who's pretty anti (genuine) woke myself. I don't go looking for it though, the way some posters do.

It's so damn sad that people take Piers Morgan seriously.

Also, sexes =/= genders.

I think there is a very simple solution to this made up problem: without adequate hydration during the day of the match no player should be allowed to start the match for reasons of health and safety. So no fast to break. There, problem solved.

Well in that case every opinion is a phobia! I've explained the post - feel free to attack it and not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

They don't even need to do anything plenty of natural stoppages in play for players to get water or small bits of food ( fruit) if they need it and there is half time if they need to properly fill up on stuff during the match itself.

Fact is nothing needed to be said or done, the premier league just decided to make a statement to pander to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,296 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

a phobia…. it’s a fear, an overwhelming and debilitating fear. A phobia is an overwhelming and debilitating fear of something or someone.

it’s suiting certain members of the trans community and supporters to delegate her the term ‘phobic’ as relates to them.

to criticise or disagree with something doesn’t make you ‘phobic’. If that’s the case we are all phobic as relates to something or some people… which is of course ludicrous and laughable.

you can be critical, disagreeable, whatever without being phobic.

unfortunately it’s part of the woke gameplan to toss out terms like, ‘transphobic’.. ! Or xxxphobic…saves them the bother of entering a salient, credible and intelligible debate. Label your enemy, discredit them , misinform your audience about them, wash..rinse and repeat.

its a woke game plan because we’ve even seen these woke monsters label people who believe in border controls as.. racists 👀 Despite the majority of the countries on the planet, from Africa, to Asia, and beyond having border controls .

Fair enough - past definitions I've read have said that extreme discomfort would qualify, and you can have discomofort without fear.

From the same article, though: They develop when a person has an exaggerated or unrealistic sense of danger about a situation or object.

There are a lot of people who feel that Rowling's ideas are dangerous, in the same way that a lot of people feel that muslims are dangerous.

• did you compare a fear of spiders to accusing someone of being a trans/homo/whateverphobic because they might have an opinion you disagree with

• Advertisement

• Also I almost promise you people who have a phobia of spiders definitely don’t want them to exist but anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Are Muslim players actually going 12-13hrs without water on the day of an evening match?

As someone who has pushed the boat out to pretty extreme levels in terms of fasting and exercising I would have major doubts they are.

Playing in a fasted state, with adaptation, would be possible while far from being optimal but 12 hrs without water before elite level football is something else.

I say that as someone who has regularly done 100km plus cycles without drinking from my water bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

Has anybody listened to the podcast, “The Witch Trials of JK Rowling”, yet?

Really...? OK then.

I said that she was transphobic and gave very clear reasoning as to my rationale (albeint limited - which I openly admitted) based on her widely publicised exclusionary viewpoints.

You could have responded with a comment on her tweets or my interpreation of them, but instead you responded with a snide remark about a person (me) having a mystic phobia based on a viewpoint that was expressd you don't like (that she's transphobic),

That should clear everything up, but if not, perhaps YOU could tell ME exactly HOW you think it was a comment on the post and not the person posting it...?

I compared a defintion of the suffix "phobia".

• fair enough

would you like to touch off the other point I made or just JK Rowling? I don’t really have any interest in discussing Rowling.

• Happy enough to discuss the prevalence lately in persecuting anyone who says anything slightly against a trans person, but just not bothered to back and forth witch hunt JK Rowling.

I’ve thought about this very recently and despite being completely at odds with her sentiments (those echoed by @[Deleted User]) they’re actually dead right tbh

that video i mentioned cements it for me that trans women are trying to cancel women in some cases. It’s my only conclusion when someone would think me, as a straight man, not wishing to date or have sex with a trans woman makes me a transphobe.

if a woman has man bits I don’t want to touch them. I don’t want to touch other mens either, it’s just not something I’m interested in. But if you say that apparently now you’re a transphobe!

so what’s the point in arguing for them anymore since they want to make me out to be a bad guy when I won’t look at them as 110% women and nothing else and if I don’t want to do all the usual things I’d do with a woman then I’m a pig or something.

fcuk off man honestly.

Me neither.

But my point was that you can have a phobia without it actually being hateful or politically/socially based.

The obvious comeback to your point made above is that the same logic can be applied to straight women being sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

@Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I am curious about your signature. How long have you had it and what prompted it?

In a thread like this, it's probably relevant to the discussion. In other threads, it's probably not.

• Advertisement

Just had a long multiple page discussion about this!

Short answer: Because if someone asks this, It's means you want me to justify the existence of trans women. And that's a debate they can have with someone else.

Now, if they want to debate a trans issue? Sure - which issue? But I'm not doing existence.

Transpeople don't have to prove their existence, and I'm not doing it either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement