Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F.A. Cup 2023 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I don’t think it’s fair to punish him for that kind of behaviour if he didn’t demonstrate it.

He should be punished for aggressive behaviour, but not violent behaviour, because I don’t think anything he did was particularly violent.

6 game ban for aggressive and threatening behaviour towards an official and be done with it IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Because the next time 6 players surround a ref and intimidate them you think they should all get bans too?

6 is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I thought people wanted the crowding of the ref to stop? Is that now considered acceptable? Normal?

Not that I should be entertaining this strawman, because the aggression on display Sunday was not the same as the usual whiny pleading from players. But then you know that.

No matter. Attitudes like this is why it keeps happening. If they want it to stop then the FA know what they need to do.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

They should throw the book at Silva too for his nonsense, Mitrovic dug his own grave but seeing his manager rant and rave like a loon at the ref over a definite penalty was bound to incite him further. I like Silva and he's been impressive at Fulham but you can't get away with that behavior, particularly over such an obvious decision.

I'd also be in the camp of seeing a long long ban for Mitrovic. Make an example of him and show grassroots in particular they're serious about protecting refs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Correct, and I hope they double the ban to 6 games, that will go towards helping what is not acceptable - but then you know that.

They could be like you and want a complete over reaction of 10 plus games of course. Attitudes like that will help ruin the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Why would it ruin the game for someone pushing, intimidating and threatening a referee to receive a 10 game ban?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

What qualifies as intimidation? Surrounding and shouting a ref - would that not be threatening and aggressive? If 3 or 4 players did that at the same time, which does happen a lot, send off each of them and give 10 game bans? Definition of overkill and it would of course ruin the game. In such an instance, I would like players- all of them- to be booked for acting like that, that would help cut it out. They very rarely are.

Di Canio got 8 for pushing Alcock.

For what he did, a 6 game ban or maybe 8 would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

That's not why Silva complained, and if you had seen his post match interview, or read this thread, you would know.

He complained because he thought VAR was being used selectively, and he was angry that VAR did not look at the coming together of Martinez and Mitrovic in the first half. He has also asked to see what the referee wrote in his match report, so I would say he's confident that the book won't be thrown at him at all.

As regards Mitrovic, I'm seeing him banned for double figures. I was one of the people who said that Fernandes should have been banned as players would start thinking they could get away with stuff. Again, anyone looking at a still of the Fernandes incident is missing out on him kicking out at and pushing Trent before he pushes the assistant referee. As regards referees touching players, I am unaware of any rule that prevents this. This was a push and should have been dealt with as such, but was just ignored as if nothing had happened.

I agree with @ShamoBuc about the intimidation aspect as well. Someone has to take action on this. I'd argue that a referee should stand his ground and not back away and if a player comes into contact with him, they should be sanctioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Ah come on. The DiCanio one was alot softer than the Mitrovic one. Paolo gave him a bit of a shove in the chest. Mitrovic first swung the arm and connected with the refs arm then continues to remonstrate, right up in the refs face and he is body bumping him. He will get at least 10 games as right he should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,336 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

IMO Bruno should have got a yellow for disrespect/petulance. Mitrovic deserved his red for the aggresion he was showing at the same time.

Though I think Bruno more than just touched the ref, you see players every match touching the ref - hard on the arm, getting their attention etc. For the red card, imo there should be a line of aggression along with the damn near standard petulance of players. If Bruno had got a red, I think it would have been harsh - but a yellow would have been completely deserved.

Mitrovic was also being abusive and confrontational to the ref before the red card - the drag back/shove was the final straw, rather than it being the only reason for the card, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,336 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

there was supposed to be a new rule giving a yellow card to any player approaching the ref that was not directly involved (and called by the ref) or the captain. That was a new thing this season iirc, it didn't even last a game.

Though I don't think players whinging to the ref is really a massive problem - what we don't want to see every week is repeats of the United/Boro ref incident from years ago - that is where it has clearly gone to far and yellow cards should be thrown about like candy in those situations, if not reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf it popped up randomly last month aswell Dias (Man City) and Lemina (Wolves) both got second yellows and sent off for rushing in yammering away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I disagree, slightly, about whinging. I think that some teams have this as a tactic, as it reduces the amount of "game time". I found this table, its league based, not cup, but there was a belief at the time, that a Tony Pulis managed Stoke City thought their chances of winning points were enhanced by less football being played! Conversely Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal games were north of 60 minutes, with, ironically after the weekend, a Man United vs Fulham game going over 70 minutes!

There's also a sort of "we're all in this together" where the team gather to show their adoring fans how united they are! We aren't allowed compare it to rugby clearly, as posters who did that had their heads bitten off, but in an ideal world I'd envy the transparency in rugby, both with regards to time-keeping and their use of the TMO. That's not even mentioning respect for the officials.

I'm pretty sure Pulis Stoke teams had a lot of delays due to Delaps throw in routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

You are comparing apples and oranges. Mitrovic elbows the ref and then hounds him. There was no knowing what he might do because he had already lost the plot and proved he was capable of putting his hands on the official.

I think the other usual stuff of swearing and harrassing officials should also be taken more seriously but for whatever reason it's not.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

Put it into a real world situation? If you're in a busy bar and you're trying to get past someone and you tapped them on the arm, do you get barred? Now if if it's a barman you'll probably get cut off for the night. Yes it's a ban but in the 5/6 game region.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think other players rushing into stop him had more to do with anything than his own restraint.

You might be right. We will never know for sure. Obviously he had a window to do it if he wanted to.

Not that it changes much, but it was only a first yellow for Dias. The Lemina one was obviously ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Finals

Saturday 22nd April 16:45

Manchester City V Sheffield United - Live on ITV 1

Sunday 23rd April 16:30

Brighton & Hove Albion V Manchester United - Live on BBC One

• Advertisement

Mahrez hattrick sinks Sheffield Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brighton should be ahead. By far the better team. Attempt straight at De Gea who flicks it over the bar. Welbeck missed the target from a free header on the resulting corner.

Going to extra time. You would wonder will Brighton be a bit fresher and will the game Thursday night catch up with United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wan-Bissaka had a very good game in defence and going forward too.

Scrap the cap!

Brighton need to really go fot it. They are getting in great positions but are 1 touch/pass away from what is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Brighton missing Ferguson's finishing

Fine save from Rashford - the only thing he has done in the game.

That was the winning of the game right there. Mitomo needed a better first touch and it would have been 1-0. It was nice build-up play.

It goes to pens.

It's going to penalties.

• Advertisement

I'm expecting someone to slip at some stage, savage amount of rain just fell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's a great penalty by Dalot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

De Gea looking at notes on the takers in his towel lol. Making no difference he's still sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

8 Great penalties so far, keepers have gone right side a few times without luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Dunk looked nervous there I thought. Stuck it in the net calmly then.

That was close, sudden death.

Sabitzer very fortunate with his penalty. Keeper got his hand on it and almost kept it out.

March into April, maybe even May.

Lindelof to win it?

Weghorst shouldn't have been allowed give that ball to March. And he said something to him as well. He's blazed his penalty way over the bar.

Just needed to keep it on target, De Gea doesn't save penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Stunning final penalty from Victor Lindelof to send United through.

Manchester derby in the final - a real pity, would have preferred Brighton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Beware the wides of March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Garzorico

Dreadful penalty from March. He’ll be affected by that for a long while I’d imagine.

Still, they don’t get to be battered by Man City in the final, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-Final Results

Manchester City 3 V 0 Sheffield United

Brighton & Hove Albion 0 V 0 Manchester United AET - Manchester United win on Pens 7-6

Final

Saturday June 3rd - Kick-off TBC

Manchester City V Manchester United - Live on BBC One / ITV 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Advertisement

Scrap the cap!

I feckin' hate penos

But for the first time in a long time it goes United's way

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Agreed absolutely disgusting behavior. Nothing short of a lifetime ban is acceptable

Levels of obsession off the scale Ted.

Hated, adored, but never ignored.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement