Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Well, it's certainly much harder to take the ball off someone in Gaelic Football than it is in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I have played gaelic football, not for years admittedly and at a very low level.

I have also played soccer as well where it's far more difficult to keep possession of the ball and far easier to miscontrol it.

Same applies to hurling too even though as I said earlier in the thread it has its own set of challenges as a sport despite the fact we keep hearing it's the 'best sport in the world' every 5 seconds.

I'm a huge fan of football but I do think that what spectators are ultimately frustrated with is the lateral hand passing etc. This is a direct consequence of it being too easy to retain possession and reduces the unpredictability of open play.

You essentially have to wait for the team in possession to make a mistake with their passing or shooting to get back the ball.

What I'm trying to say is rather than hand passing being the symptom of everything that is perceived as being bad about the sport as mentioned so many times on this thread that instead it's the tackle that's the problem.

In saying all of that football has arguably never been better. Watch old games, you'd be surprised how dire they were and the low levels of skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

They could look at something like there always needs to be 4 outfield players in each half from each team. Difficult to ref , yes, but eventually after a season of frees against teams will just adapt.

Seeing 29 players in one half and all but a Gk in the other is not great for the sport and is not entertaining.

The Northern teams started the block defence, with Donegal sticking out as one of the worst (under mcguinness). There was a Dublin v Donegal semi final that had 14 scores. It was 4-2 at half time!

So teams have now adapted to these blanket defence tactics and I’m not mad about it. Somebody mentioned more scores , but the game feels more choked , more tactical and less entertaining as it’s generally predictable.

I miss the midfield battles for the long kick outs. As a spectator, I’d prefer defenders to focus on defending and forwards to attack. Having full backs and full forwards swap halves regularly is not candy for the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good post which quite rightly points to the tackle in GF as a problem.

Now before everyone tries to explain the ‘correct ‘ tackle I know what it is so can that.

Its the one on ones are the real problem.

I see players on one to one encounters going up close and then bursting past the defender who has very

little chance of dispossessing..result is usually a free for the attacker.

I would prefer if the onus was on the attacker to play the ball if possible before taking it into the tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

• 4 players designated as forward players (wearing armbands of a different colour to the jerseys main colours) who cannot touch the ball in their own half of the field. If they do, it's a direct free, and a second offence is a yellow card. A foul by a designated forward in their own half is a black card.
    • Once a team goes past their own 45 yard line, they cannot go back past the line. The same with the opposition 45.
    • All kick outs must go past the 45 yard line.
    • Alter the mark so that it can only be claimed from kicks given through play (no dead balls).

The designated forwards should open up the field a bit and counter the mass defences as well as providing teams better options for a quick attack. Not being allowed to go backwards allows teams to push up and press the team in possession, or force teams to attack at pace. The kick out is obvious as it restarts the game with a contest for the ball instead of possession for the team taking the kick out.

At the very least it would be worth trialling them in the pre-season competitions.

And as rules go they're fairly simple, they're completely black and white with no in between, so they would be easy to implement at club and underage level as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The Northern teams started the block defence, with Donegal sticking out as one of the worst (under mcguinness). There was a Dublin v Donegal semi final that had 14 scores. It was 4-2 at half time!

This s**t again.

Do you know that Donegal lost that game?

Do you know that they came back the next year with a completely different high tempo game plan and won the All Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

One of the disappointing aspects of this years league and for me it has been a pretty disappointing league (Mayo excepted), is the amount of times teams are conceding the kick out to the opponent.

Roscommon gave Kerry the short kick out and 100% success up until almost the end of the game and then at 5 points down with the game lost, they decided to attack the Kerry kick out and won 4 of them in a row, scoring 2 pts, forcing a cynical goal-preventing foul and almost winning a penalty. One really would wonder if they had been a bit braver on it during the course of the game, if they might have got something out of the game. Every team will concede the kick out at times during a game particularly when they can't get organized enough to prep for it, but to do it for the full game until you need to throw caution to the wind seems a very regressive strategy.

A half-court rule akin to basketball is one that could be worth trialling. I think it wouldn't be the most onerous to implement (other than needing to add an extra line to pitches) and shouldn't be too much of an additional boost to the effectiveness of mass defences.

There would possibly be some issues around turnovers that are won around the half-way line that only happens irregularly in basketball games.

It’s not sh*t, that was the worst game I have ever been at where fans were booing how bad Donegal were getting with the defence. It was Puke football

• Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it failed as a tactic, and Donegal came back a year later with a much different approach that won them an All Ireland.

People take games in insolation where one or both teams adopt a "defense first" approach and then bemoan it as being puke football and the end of the world.

What they ignore is that the most successful teams win games and championships by being aggressive and attacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Treble double

Look I believe alot of posters on here are just piling in to have a cut off Gaelic Football because a they are either hurling supporters who are trying to deflect from what is a farcical leauge competition in their own code or lads that couldn't kick snow off a rope and are spewing their resentment here.

I would trial one thing and that is the Aussie Rules style tackle with the following stipulations, the mark from the kickout and forward mark remain, get rid of the defensive mark. A player receiving a kick pass has to be tackled within the rules as they stand at the moment. But a player receiving a handpass can be tackled to the ground Aussie Rules style and possession is lost.

The reason I would lose the defensive mark is because if a defender wins a long ball into the square he is open to Aussie Rule style tackle and losing possession, which could be used as an attacking strategy and encourage direct ball into the goal mouth area which is one of the most exciting things in Football.

The tackle is the problem in Football as it is impossible to define ditto in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭TipsyMcStagge

Jesus some of the rule change suggestions here are absolutely insane armbands for forward only players having to boot the ball away after a solo and the rest of it. Have you seen the state of the referees trying to enforce the current rules? Imagine piling all this extra crap on top of them as well?

Also Gaelic football and sport in general is not entertainment its a game to be won or lost if you want entertainment go to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I still dnt see why ye think its so hard to tackle, maybe because I played as a back, I didnt find it hard and knew what it was like to have a marker tackle and get the ball from me as well. Aiden O Shea was a great example of someone who was great as getting the ball off an opposition player.

When you see 29 players in one half pretty much anytime a transition changes , it’s hard to see how the blanket defence disappeared. It’s morphed into this default tactic that’s not good to watch and I don’t like it. The northern teams , while bringing alot of intensity also choked the sport to death in the 00s.

Kerry had to adapt from being a team most neutrals enjoy watching to this more cute defensive Style. Indeed the great Dublin team of recent years adapted to be able to have serious composure and score from 40+ yards to counter act it, that’s one of the reasons they did so well for so long (alongside savage players/management), the passing around the 40 and being lethal when they took a shot completely neutering the defensive block.

Got to he honest I wasn’t always loving the Dublin possession for minutes with no scores or maybe a score after 2-3 minutes of playing with the opposition. I preferred the swash buckling Dublin of the 00s style, even if it did always come undone by more structurally sounder teams.

As I said there should be a minimum amount of outfield players required in each half and it somewhat addresses the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Situational rules zones are all indications of a lack of skill

If you want minimise defensive play reduce the teams to 13 players hard to be a zonal defence when it's going to result in you being out on your feet 10 mins into the second half

It is very hard to tackle effectively. For instance Sam Callinan for Mayo made a great interception against Donegal by flicking the ball away from the Donegal player as he soloed it.

This is one of the ways a defender can win the ball but how often do you see it? Once a game, probably not. It stood out to me because it's so infrequent. Isn't that what the solo is there for essentially to allow a window for an interception when there isn't an opportunity to shoulder a player. However, it rarely ever happens and showcases how hard it is to win possession as a defender.

It just shows you how bad players are now at tackling, not that its hard to do. You run along side them and put your hand in, simple really.

It's evidently not simple.

Players have never been trained better to tackle and yet you still rarely see interceptions like I pointed out.

This suggests it's the rules that are inadequate rather than the skillset of the players.

They dont tackle because they are all doing zonal marking. You often see a player with the ball and no marker anywhere near him, years ago you always had your marker in close proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Because in the modern game the opposition are not interested in engaging with attackers until they get nearer the goals. And they arrange their defence accordingly. Then as you have pointed out before yourself, the man in possession is likey to have two or more in close proximity. It demands a high level of fitness on both sides. There are variations, such as pressure on the kickout leading to contested balls in the air. Or long kicks into the goal area, a low percentage option when a goal is needed. But in general it is more like soccer, playing out from the back.

Some people are saying that it is skewed in favour of defenders, where they can "swarm" around the man in possession. But the number of scores being achieved would point to a healthy balance. Better than years ago when it was a one on one, and possession was given up far too easily.

• Advertisement

So you're telling me that there aren't 100's of opportunities for players to implement that skill throughout the game? Of course there are; and yet we rarely see a defender dispossess a player one-vs-one like I showed above.

It's far too difficult to dispossess a player despite the fact that defenders have never been better trained in all facets of the game.

The idea that it's simply a matter of waiting for an inter-county forward to take a solo and flick it away from him as you run alongside is so detached from reality it nearly makes any discussion of strategy in the game completely pointless.

These guys are clearly operating at a level far, far beyond your comprehension.

Not sure if this is pointed at me or another poster.

All I'm trying to highlight is that problem around the tackle. The method mentioned above is one of the main ways a defender can win the ball but it's so difficult to do that it's noteworthy when it does happen.

It just shows how easy it is to withhold the ball which makes the game less chaotic which seems to be peoples main gripe with the sport.

I'm saying this btw as someone who thinks the game is in good health and someone who very much opposes what was said by the OP.

No, not aimed at you, sorry. Your latest message came in before I posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Correct…..

Onus should be on the ball carrier to get rid of the ball ………

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

Constructive ideas - a minimum number of players remaining in the other half is definitely worth trialing however you always need to consider unintended consequences.

4 players designated as forward players (wearing armbands of a different colour to the jerseys main colours) who cannot touch the ball in their own half of the field. If they do, it's a direct free, and a second offence is a yellow card. A foul by a designated forward in their own half is a black card.

Would go with 3 inside the opposing 65, and not specifically identified. Playmakers who can both score and drop deep to start attacks are to be encouraged. One linesman tasked with each half. Free only as sanction - from where is the question? Added bonus - the 65m line actually serving a function in football. Leaving it as a specific player would stop a player coming out to initiate an attack, stop a team being able to draw the tight marking corner back out the field freeing up space inside and stops a team bringing back their high fielding FF to help defend the lobbed in hail mary at the last minute. Potential unintended consequence - an underdog who has over-achieved gets punished when trying to hang on to a 4 point lead in the last 5 minutes having performed brilliantly up to then.

Once a team goes past their own 45 yard line, they cannot go back past the line. The same with the opposition 45.

Ok with not being aloud back inside 45, however having to stay inside opposition 45 - think that could result in encouraging the defending team to remain deep. Recirculating the ball to find space elsewhere is an attacking skill.

All kick outs must go past the 45 yard line.

Dont like this one at all. Potential result is the middle third becoming a crowd of bodies. The team who may be smaller and faster with more skill disadvantaged. A minor tweak on the current rule - kick out cannot be returned directly to the goalie and cannot be returned inside the 20. If the opposition push up the challenge is to find the space further forward

Alter the mark so that it can only be claimed from kicks given through play (no dead balls).

Advanced mark can only be claimed from open play in the current rule. Still should allow the mark from kickout. What I dont like in the current rule is the lobbed 20 metre diagonal pass from 50 meters to 40 meters qualifying as a mark as technically it travels 20 meters. Think it should be that it needs to travel at least 20 meters forward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

There should be a limit on the amount of handpassing. I think the fly Keepers is being overused. The Derry keeper didn't even look comfortable running out of the goals in the all Ireland semi last yea,r but was under instructions from Gallagher to keep coming out. Ethan Rafferty is a converted keeper but he isn't that good when he has to make a save. Seems to be a Ulster thing as Rory Beggan and Morgan go out the field a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The handpass limit was tried and failed. The players rejected it.

I've nothing against keepers coming out. It adds to the drama of the game. Rafferty coming up the pitch is great to see and exciting.

It's a wonder it hasn't happened sooner. Unlike say soccer, there are no real differences in what a keeper can do while in goal and out the field so why not use them as an extra man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'd be slow to make any significant changes at this point. It has been a poor league this year, last years was much better.

This year you have Donegal who are dreadful to watch and have been for years, but are absolutely rubbish this year and unfortunately are always on the TV live games

Monaghan have been on the slide now for a while and are quite poor also this year. These are the 2 teams that I would like to see relegated.

Kerry are only doing enough in their home games to stay up and have probably left themselves plenty to do over the next while which is fair enough as they are AI champs.

Dublin are a loss to the league, even though their style isn't anything great to to watch, they have some brilliant players.

Tyrone have loads in the locker, but for whatever reason are very hot and cold, hopefully they will bring it consistently in the championship.

Armagh seem to have regressed a bit on last years swashbuckling stylish performances.

Mayo really the only team that are flying it and playing great football.

I can't see any team winning the AI conceding all kick outs to their opponent, which to me is the big problem in a lot of these boring games, so hopefully once teams get established and bit more confident we will see more focus on their attacking strategies.

The only thing I'd change right now is that dreadful attacking mark or at the very least only allow it for overhead catches.

Advertisement