Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There is a massive difference between moving from 1 city to another as in the US/UK as compared to moving from the centre of Dublin to a backwater like Edenderry. If people were moving from Dublin to Cork or Belfast where there would be similar services that would be one thing but people were buying in small villages with zero services.

Its kinda funny the majority of people on here that are constantly moaning about the amount of money that landlords make are now moaning about the eviction ban being lifted. Surely if being a landlord is as lucrative as ye make out there should be no significant increase in evictions notices from the start of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,437 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Try to understand the distinction between capital appreciation and income from an asset.

If the government actually wanted to stop them leaving, it could introduce a 90% CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Yeah, it's silly at this stage blanchardstown is getting affluent, it's got great public transport, near the Phoenix park which is an amazing aminity, there are decent houses at sub 400k range. I would tweek things a little by extending help to be to secondhand homes under 400k for one year only get the long term renters buying a basic home, freeing up rent properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

People are generally not looking to move from an urban area where their families and friends are to a rural area where they know nobody just to get a cheaper house. Some do, of the ones I know who did it, they regretted it later. No idea what the situation is in the UK or US and even less idea what relevance it has to the situation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

so let me get this straight

Anyone renting a home through HAP or privately at the moment has it for life? They can't be evicted as the government will just buy this houses for them ?

Or have I read this wrong ?

Hahahaha, which would limit any future investment in a dysfunctional rental market driving rents higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Wexfor, Goery, Navan, and the like are not rural, Limerick is a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Actually I have the opposite experience living in the general area and having moved from Dublin, I know people from Blackrock, Santry, Rathfarnham and the rest in Gorey who say it was the best decision they ever made, they love it there.

And there are a lot of every kind of Dublin accent there, so Id say there are a lot more who like it than the ones from your small circle, also have they moved back?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,840 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's very subjective to be honest.

I've lived in and around Dublin all my life. Wexford, Gorey and Navan definitely feel like I'm in rural areas. Limerick just feels like a big town really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

If HAP was abolished in the morning the chaos would be mostly felt by those in receipt of it being evicted and homeless as they could not afford rents. rents may fall as a result but most if not all the tenants would be homeless for months maybe yrs until that happens.

Over 50% of renters receive some form of State support. That means that 50% of landlords are receiving rent that their tenants cannot afford to pay.

The pain would mainly be felt by property owners. Not only would rents come down, but house prices would too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I grew up in Dublin a stones through from bus and rail links and other amenities like Shops and leisure Centre, now I live in the wilds of Meath😀 and I wouldn't move back. I like the fact that when you get home it does feel like you are away from the hustle and bustle, I know that is not for everyone but most of my friends who I grew up with all live in the same place and they all wouldn't move back. My mother still lives where I grew up and I am in and out to her every week and I have often asked myself would I move back and I have said it to my other half and both of us agree we wouldn't move back. Yes having the Dart or regular bus service would be great but then again like I said when you get home where we are now just feels more relaxed and easy going compared to how busy it is where my mam lives. Also its nice that where I live is not too built up either, growing up where I lived was kinda similar, whereas now it is very built up with nothing but 4 or 5 storey apartment blocks or townhouse squashed in together. Everything just seems hectic with not space.

Rural for me is living up a boreen with your nearest neighbor 10 to 15 minutes away and nothing but cows and sheep in between.

Master of the Universe

Yeah it really is that subjective thing. Rural to me is not being able to leave my house and stroll to Grafton Street in 20-30 minutes. 😁

I actually did buy a house in Bray back in 2013 around the corner from my folks but it was just way too quiet and settled for the age I was at.

Sold up after a couple of years and moved back into the city. Much happier with everything on my doorstep tbh.

Might end up moving back out in 10-20 years, we'll see!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Most people only ever make a move once after their 20s, in quiet a few cases not at all.

Those that'l move house 2 or 3 times, buying and selling are quite unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Its horses for courses. I knew someone who grew up in Eastwall and went to stay a weekend with a friend in Swords and they couldn't wait to get back to East wall because they though Swords was to rural. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

If thats the case and the vast majority of landlords will not issue notice to their tenants, then why the big hullabaloo from SF PBP, Labour etc for the past few weeks?

Listening to the wall-to-wall media coverage, anyone would think that the majority of tenants will be getting notice, all i've heard is that there will be many thousands made homeless unless the ban is extended. Eoin o'brin was on the news earlier and said anyone who votes with the government later today is actually voting to make people homeless.

Are you saying its all just political scoring?

Depends on your perspective. They are very small towns far from larger urban centers. Nothing wrong with them I hasten to add, they are just different. For some people it will work and I am sure they like it. Generally speaking moving > 100km purely for a cheaper house, without taking into account commuting costs (both financial with fuel and also your time), is not going to be the best decision for everyone.

It can work for some, certainly not saying it can't. The people I know moved because it was all they could afford. They would not be in a position to move back to Dublin now. Moving far from where you work can result in significant fuel costs, so would need to be taken into account in any comparison. Another thing that is very important to consider, if you have kids and they go to college in Dublin, you might have to help them rent somewhere rather than commute every day from Wexford town.

Master of the Universe

Not from my experience? Both sets of my grandparents bought and moved to 6-7 houses throughout their lives. My parents have bought twice and will probably move once again at retirement. I've moved three times myself, will probably move again in ten years or so.

Lots of my friends and their family would be in the same position.

I suppose it depends where you live in the country really? Lots of reasons to be buying/selling and moving around Dublin/greater Dublin area if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

The policy of HAP is one the reason’s why we’re in such a mess.

If that HAP money was used to build homes instead down through the years, We probably wouldn’t need be looking at eviction bans.

All that HAP & rent allowance money down the years, not a single home gets built for it.

What Ireland does really really well is give a man a fish, he eats for a day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats forever. If you no what I mean.

If 10% of "landlords" all exit at the same time, that is a lot of tenants, but it is far from disproving that the majority of landlords will stay put.

Eviction moratorium or not won't affect most landlords. It definitely won't affect the ones that are more valuable to have - i.e. the ones who are in it seriously rather than scalper-types. But a concession in the form of reduced taxation (which they are looking for) will help them all. And for the ones who do sell, it will also increase the value of what they are selling.

Personally, I'd bump up CGT to at least 40% and encourage the have-a-go ones to sell up and run for the hills. It would be fair enough for the State to get a slightly bigger slice of the uplift given that it is the State's failings that have gifted many of them an increase in the value of that asset.

Sure why not throw some more fuel on the fire, an increase in CGT is sure to solve all the issues with the rental market.

You don't appear to understand that more rentals are required at the moment to meet demand not less, but you don't really care about renters you just want to see landlords burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're a great man for a soundbite, Donald.

I was "in it seriously", never scalped anyone. I only had one property but I let it responsibly and fairly for over 20 years - until the risk/reward balance shifted so far to risk that I got out while I still could.

I suspect there are plenty more like me out there - I would be still happily renting away, not screwing over tenants but providing a decent apartment for a fair return - but the risk to me and my finances is just too big now.

Master of the Universe

How does bumping CGT to 40% encourage 'have a go' landlords to sell? Surely it would have the opposite impact?

Or do you mean enact other legislation to get the 'have a gos' to leave, while ALSO bumping CGT to 40% in a 'teach them and fleece them on the way out' kind of a thing?

The second option there just makes you sound spiteful tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Same as myself. We were making a profit too but risk/reward is upsidedown now and no sensible person will leave themselves at risk that landlords are at now. There is just no good reason to expose yourself to risk for the return available. So I wish that all the landlord haters would do us a favour and let landlords leave the business when they want to.

At the moment they hate landlords but they are doing everything they can to keep them as landlords even when they want to stop. They should let them out if you hate them so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

No need for the emotional rant. Read it again. I said I'd encourage them to leave and I'd bump the rate up to 40%. Not that I would encourage them to leave by bumping up the rate.

There are many ways in which the foregoing could be achieved. If you can't figure out any yourself, I can spoon-feed you some if you want.

I'm delighted we can flush out some of the failed incompetent ones who can't actually cope with being a landlord. Even if we have to give them a golden handshake/parachute to get rid of them - society will be better off in the medium to long term.

• Advertisement

Genuine question - what is it with the perennial victim mentality?

If you don't like facts and reality, then that is none of my concern.

Advertisement