Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And you're entitled to make that argument in whatever forum and the established parties are entitled to ignore it, as they have been doing up to now. You will only be vindicated if they lose significant numbers of votes in a real-world general election to a party or parties advocating a clearly more restrictive line on immigration. And I wouldn't hold my breath on that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Are you unaware of who the national party are and what their ideology is?

In fairness very few on here are openly expressing support for the National Party, Irish Freedom Party etc. The usual line is there is this massive pent-up demand for credible, sensible centre-right policies on immigration and other issues but somehow inexplicably nobody is coming forward to meet that demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I don't know much about them but why wouldn't they support those parties, immigration seems to be the main issue for so many people in Ireland now?

Either that or just accept things the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's racist because it's not that such individuals don't want open borders as hardly anyone does.

it's that really they don't want anybody who isn't white especially, or just foreign, in ireland.

they are not preserving our irish identity and are not really interested in preserving it, but rather enforcing a specific version of irish identity that they subscribe to, as in the irish identity of a century ago.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

that's exactly it.

they aren't fooling anyone, we know exactly what they are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

I want a say in this entire immigration disaster.

Everyone should have a say.

The representatives of this country do not, in fact, represent the will of of this country.

Nobody had a say in it before, and now that it's clown town territory, this is the moment to see what ireland as a country of people wants for their own good.

A referendum was needed years upon years ago. The next best time is now.

Like all referenda, get a quality information booklet out to every home, spelling out all the demographic changes, all the pro's and con's, employment numbers, unemployment numbers, who's who in those statistics, the impact good and bad on housing, healthcare, education. Throw in projected numbers too, like the amount of new housing in 5 years versus the amount of extra people expected in 5 years.

Quality information backed up amply.

Then let people make an informed decision. It's a hell of a lot better than not letting people make a decision at all.

A rapidly changing world demands new policies, and those policies are to be created by the Irish people.

No immigration referendum, no vote. Let every politician and adjacent know it point blank.

The people do get a choice every 5 years at a maximum we are sent to the polls to replace the Dáil. That is our time for choice.

But anyway.

What is the referendum question you suggest we pose to the people?

They have time and effort to implement utterly useless referendums like the changing of a few words in the "women in the home" yoke.

Immigration is, patently obvious, a burning question that has impact on multiple factors of society. It's getting bigger and bigger and its not going to diminish magically.

So yes, I want a specific referendum on immigration, and it's quite clear many, many others do too.

Narrowed down from the obvious choices of "more", "unchanged" or "less", with thoughtful input to flesh out those choices in some numerical terms.

Anyone against a democratic vote on a highly contentious and impactful national issue is on the losing side, know it, and want it avoided at all costs. Natural enough.

No immigration referendum, no vote. Let it be made clear.

• Advertisement

Rightio.

And once again, what is the question you want put to the people in your referendum?

What does "No immigration referendum, no vote. Let it be made clear." mean?

Are you threatening the state that you wont vote if you don't get a referendum?

Because I don't think the government is reading or cares about your single vote.

I already answered your question as to the form it should take. Instead of asking the question twice, read carefully once.

When the politicians and hopeful representatives come looking for peoples votes, they should be told that they won't get a vote without the feasible promise of an immigration referendum. If they do, they get the vote.

People want a say in what's happening in their own country, and immigration (all its flavours) is right up there in terms of impact, be it housing or culture and all in between.

It's serious. And it's well beyond time for democracy to have its direct and specific say on it.

Again, no immigration referendum offered, no vote.

Do you know what a referendum is?

So say the politicians come to your door, lets go further and say its both michael martin and leo varadkar at the same time and you say;

Tinofpeas: you "won't get a vote without the feasible promise of an immigration referendum"

MM and LV: OK Tinofpeas what question should we the current leaders of the government put to the people in this referendum to appease you, so that we can be guaranteed you will vote in Irelands free fair democratic dáil election?

Tinofpeas: ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

He’s already answered your question. Stop derailing this thread with your nonsense posts.

He hasn't though. What will the question be on the referendum?

I already told you that instead of asking a question twice, read the answer once. That goes for asking three times too.

It wouldn't be any leap to infer that you're against such a referendum, under the guise of "its not needed" covering "uh oh, democracy isn't on my side and I know it well". But that's neither here nor there.

Any politician or adjacent that reasonably promises an immigration referendum gets my vote. It's top priority because it is an issue affecting and exacerbating just about every other facet of societal infrastructure.

And it's the same for huge amounts of this country, they want a say in the biggest societal change seen in this country this century.

Again, it's very serious and demands a serious political response and a serious representation of the country's people.

Anyone who doesn't want it, well, that's easy to understand where they're coming from.

No harm to those who think "it doesn't matter" if it takes place anyway then.

All good. Everyone gets a say, democracy wins, politicians do their jobs, and everyone can sleep easy afterwards knowing that specific important questions on society have been answered fairly and squarely.

So, no immigration referendum, no vote. Immigration referendum, you get the vote. Let every politician know when they come knocking. And every other opportunity before that too.

Tinofpeas replied to my post they did not answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

It’s not a referendum that’s needed, it’s a redrafting of the 1951 UN Convention and the European Convention on Human Rights to bring them into the 21st century!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

How about the ideology of FFFG? Allow mass immigration until ethnic Irish are a minority in Ireland?

National Party have the same policies that political parties the world over have... they want to look after the people that have been in the country for the last few hundred years...

How come it's acceptable to have a Japanese political party looking after Japanese. A Nigerian political party looking after Nigerians. A Pakistani political party looking after Pakistanis. But an Irish political party looking after Irish is unacceptable?

So why won't anyone vote for the National Party? Genuine question, I don't understand it as ireland seems to want serious immigration controls.

• Advertisement

What would the referendum ask?

Don't you see that it's such a ridiculously complicated and nuanced issue it's not really the type of thing you can put to referendum?

we have immigration control.

what we need now is the staff, funding and resources to make it work.

ultimately he can't answer it, because the reality is most people couldn't care a less about brown and black people.

they have actual issues to worry about.

if people cared so much about brown and black people then knuckle draggers like the national party and irish freedom from what party would have huge vote shares.

both conventions are in the 22nd century never mind the 21st, they were so from the start and don't need redrafting.

The reason it is difficult for any new group of governmental representation to appear is because we have a cabal of power structure.

The Government parties do not represent Ireland. They represent a minority, but they most certainly are not acting in the interest of the majority.

In just one of many examples, take the housing crisis. They have stood over it for nearly a decade, from its inception to every year being worse than the last. Simultaneously they have allowed and, factually, encouraged hundreds and hundreds of thousands of extra people into the housing crisis. For a cherry on top, they also decided to take take 10x the number of ukrainian refugees compared with France. In a housing crisis. Do those sound like the decisions of a government representing a people's own interests?

They have a carefully orchestrated system built over many decades that has all the paper standards of a democracy, yet on the ground their decisions, time and again, with increasing frequency, represent everyone BUT the majority of Irish people. They have an inherently undemocratic sway over media, nobody need guess that.

That's why it is extremely difficult for even the most pragmatic and sensible people to get into politics; the cute hoors have it wrapped up.

That said, it's time for these people to get the boot. It'll take a while and it won't be easy, but needs must.

And as usual, it starts at local level, demand what you want and put it up to them. In my case, and for many, many others too, it can begin by demanding an immigration referendum. High time.

Here's a post from the Ukranian refugees thread, which I suspect may be typical of many of those hot and bothered about immigration

I'd wager that there are hundreds of thousand of votes there for the taking for any independent or party that are brave enough to stand up to this madness. Apart from a handful of independents the electorate doesn't really have a clear choice.

It's either the gobshites that are there now, Sinn Fein who are no better or the Far right loonies like the Freedom and National Parties, who no sane person would vote for. If a party like Aoutu took a gamble and stood up they'd see considerable gains in the next election, stealing many of these votes from disgruntled Shinners.

Many of these guys genuinely don't see themselves as 'far right' and would never vote for parties from that part of the spectrum.

More, unchanged, or less. That's the ultimate question.

You go through every policy and derive the numbers to arrive at a presentable and enforceable choice.

A total cap at 10k per year? 10% for refugees, 15% for Family reunification, 30% for employment, 13% for student visas...it can all be worked out. It's not quantum physics. There's an army of civil servants working day in and out, they can do it.

But no matter what, the core question has been going begging for years without a single jot of an answer. People want the say in it now, today.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Missing a call to replacement theory but good effort on getting the rest of the conspiracy stuff in none the less.

Can't we just ask for all the fordiners to go home?

• Advertisement

Jaysus you must be **** yourself at the thought of what you think Irish people would decide if they were allowed.

We all know the answer as to why this gigantic elephant in the room hasn't been dared addressed in any meaningful way. Because its plain bad news for irish people, no matter what way you cut it. Thats why they havent been allowed a say in it.

But we needn't argue over it. Put it to the test, a democratic, informed, public debate that has enforceable action behind it. Anyone with even a shred of confidence in their ideas or beliefs would back it. And those without confidence will try to deny democracy.

Simple as that.

Advertisement