Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I can't really discern from the photograph..... is it the back passage or the Vagina.

Either way it'll have to go back in or it'll turn gangrene. If it's a vaginal prolapse the harness should be fine..... the harness might work anyway if you can push it in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Got the vet no prolapse, swollen up could be possible tear, injection course given no bleeding atall during the day but starting a small bit now fingers crossed she be fine - I'll be kicking myself if it's bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Runswithfeet

Have a neighbour with ten good 2/3 year old Cheviot ewes due to lamb early April.He’s very busy with work and doesn’t want to lamb them.Gave me first refusal on them as hasn’t time for Mart.

I haven’t stood in a mart in months…..they are carrying twins to Suffolk ram…..what’s a fair price for them given current trade.I know sheep prices are back on this time last year.

He’s a decent skin so want to make proper bid for them.

Thanks for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭DJ98

Very few ewes in lamb are making over the 200 mark this year, only real exceptional ones are breaking the 200 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭k mac

I would say hoggets in lamb would be making over the 200 mark, or would they...bar what's on done deal I don't think there is many for sale in the mart. I was at a mart last week and there was only 1 pen, suffolks carrying doubles mainly 2nd crop and some 3rd crop were sold subject at 190

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Has anyone got some sheep fencing done by a contractor recently? Just wondering what a rough cost would be for a 100 metre straight run with one strand of barbed wire and electric over it. Supplied and erected by contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭kk.man

Tbh the trade down these parts is not good for in lamb ewes. Good young ewes with doubles at foot are making good money in general.

The ones you are looking at would be around the 150 mark. The fact that they r in lamb to a Suffolk with potential for Suffolk cross ewe lambs helps the sale. But then again they are Cheviots and then they are Cheviots.

Post edited by kk.man on

Horrific weather for lambing at the moment, luckily we're able to keep lambs in for a week and they seem well able for it after that. only on grass at the moment , Cobs wouldn''t be dear for the ewes in that weather.

Weather outlook isn't great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭White Clover

It's a bad time for the weather to break alright. Looks very broken as far as early next week anyway. You must have the back broke on the lambing at this stage?

Yea, over sixty lambed out of seventy five, a lot are still in , only lambing a fortnight yet .

The neighbour that's renting my tunnel has 100 lambed in ten days, luckily he has sheds at home to bring them to after lambing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

Brutal alright. It's the worst in a good while, last couple of years were bad at the start and came good then for the peak of it. 34 ewes lambed since yesterday morning so it's came bad at the worst possible time. Have to let young enough ones out tomoro what ever the weather.

Very bad weather alright....The vendeen ram throwing massive lambs, broader shoulder than I would have thought too. He wasn't the easiest lambing and harder lambed than a charley but cannot fault the lambs up shapey with a good shoulder and sucking quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

In a similar boat here,lambs not due till 17th but heading for 25% of the flock lambed already.Rain due to stop here at 9am so we will throw plastic jackets on the lambs and out the may go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Nothing here yet which is just as well as we had biblical. levels of rain during early nights this week.

Fields that were nice and dry a week ago have a film of water lying on them now.

Random question for anyone that may know the answer - Why do some Pedigree Texels have like a Black spot on their shoulder or ear

As a matter of interest, what date did you leave the rams out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eire23

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Young95

anyone trying to lamb outdoors in current weather conditions? Not starting here till end of next week so praying this **** weather is gone by then 🫣

We use 147 days too, but our ewes started lambing at 142 days from ram turnout this year,

Pregnancy definitely are shorter this year here

• Advertisement

All thoughts welcome - had a fine ram lamb a twin lambed on Sunday afternoon, had them in the shed for 2 days then let out too grass, he seemed abit lazy looking in the shed (got plenty beestings all the same) heed be panned out on the straw, but was well able to get up and suck when he wanted too, just not as lively as the counterpart.

We'll he died this evening with huge belly on him and not much signs of a **** very clean end, good mule sheep may have cleaned it well but something tells me he died from constipation. Is there something I'm am missing or could it be something else

I '

i've had them born with a blockage and soapy water put into the rectum ith the stomach tube sometime clears it but if they haven't s..t the muconium there's something blocked.

It's veryy seldom the arse is clean if they've passed the muconium .

Its a peculiar one alright, the other twin flying around the field this morning but also has an exceptionally clean back end so maybe the sheep licked them clean, but hard to know just one of those things.

Have a set of twins here that were born very small on Saturday evening. I had to tube both their first feed as they were so small and light/weak. One of them is sucking the ewe away fine since but the other lad is like he's brain dead. I had to tube him 3 times to get milk into him and tried the bottle a few times but he wasn't great to take that either. I am now lying under the ewe every 3 hours with him so as to latch him on and squirt a pull of the teat into his mouth. He'll take about 10 weak sucks and stop. He's then pucking the udder but can't find or latch on to the teat. Any advice of what to try next before I have all my hair pulled out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

hello folks , never posted here before, I keep about a dozen sheep in order to maintain the bit of land we have with our rural house , I enjoy having them a lot

quick question if I may , I’ve quite an outbreak of lameness and I bought some formulin, I’ve protective clothing and understand it’s extremely potent so I’ll carry it out safely and properly

question is , do I need to stand the sheep in the bath for several minutes or just allow them run through it?, I know if using bluestone you stand them in it but is it the same with formulin?

thanks in advance

With formalin you just run them through the bath. What kind of lameness does the flock have?

I gave up using formalin as it hardened the hooves too much and caused cracking along the nail which required pairing then. I now use zinc sulphate and find it much better. I'd say I wouldn't have 5 sheep turned in 2 years.

Formalin is walk through, but they have to stand iif you're using Bluestone.

Bluestone will rot any steel it splashes on to,, even galvanise.

Zinc sulphate is similar to bluestone but won't rot steel.

Repeated use of formalin makes lambs feet very hard, I never use formalin

Do they have to stand if using zinc sulphate ?

• Advertisement

We stand them for five minutes, our footbath holds about nine ewes or equivalent,

The formalin makes the nails hard and they crack off if you use it too much. I have no experience of formalin but just going on what I hear.

Our footbath is indoors and we can use the same zinc sulphate over and over again whereas with the formalin the muck can neutralise it.

We footbath every time the sheep are in the yard which works out about every six weeks, we haven't pared a sheep in about 20 years. If you keep the four feet on the ground, as in not limping, the hoof won't over grow.

Advertisement