Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

They would.Their own decision I guess but not ideal if they wish to maximise performance I imagine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I thought they were exempt actually, but it seems not (unless they claim an exemption based on travel to an away game or something).

The laws around it, like a lot of stuff with Islam, are ridiculously detailed and really just don't fit into western culture.

Still, I look forward to the Premier League ensuring any team that signs an Orthodox Jew gets no Saturday 3pm games ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I suspected the sports scientists and doctori etc wouldn't put up with this at elite level

https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/world-cup-ramadan-how-salah-pogba--more-are-preparing-for-russia-2018/1n12b9uxyxu9516ti8dmmjz1c6

"It's obvious that Salah's religion plays a big part in his philosophy as a footballer. The 25-year-old did not participate in fasting during the three days leading up to and including the Champions League final, though fasted at the team's training base in Marbella.

In Islam, you are allowed to break your fast “with anything that is adequate need” or if you are travelling during the day, which Salah had done."

From memory Michael Jones a New Zealand rugby player missed games on Sundays due to his religion.

Amir Khan missed out on a big world title fight as it was set for Ramadan.

• Not in the slightest religious tbh but see no harm in this. At the end of it all lads it’s just football.

The issue is as follows

It's being done purely for virtue sgnalling reason as there is no need for artificial stoppages to allow players to take some food or water as there are plenty of natural stoppages in the game where this could happen already.

Also there have never been any allowances made by the league for any other religions, games are played on Sundays, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and every other major Christian feast day except Christmas day (and game used to be played in England on Christmas day up until the 1960's) and thats for non religious reasons as Christmas is largely a secular holiday these days, the religious aspect of it most people don't bother with anymore.Games are played on Yom Kippur (as I pointed out in one of my earlier posts).Europe has done so well to secularize itself and stop pandering the religious concerns no need to take even the slightest backward step in that regard.

• Advertisement

It's a fairly common trope in crime fiction the idea of a man dressed as woman killing people.

The main reason why this is the case is that it works as a red herring in the story and throws the reader/viewer off the scent and can provide a twist at the end of the story.

It's used constantly in crime fiction and anyone who thinks it has any link to transphobia is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's a thread in CA with a link to Twitter, it has a video of him being asked.

The reactions of them all are hilarious. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,925 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭ingalway

"She's transphobic, end of story"

"That said, I don't have Twitter and don't pay attention to her, so I've no real idea what she's said other than being TERF, and while I don't agree with her, I can see why some ciswomen would be wary of the motives of some transwomen."

So you really don't have an idea of what she has said that is meant to be transphobic and you don't read her tweets that may give you valuable insight into her thinking but "she's transphobic, end of story"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It does have a link to transphobia when the author, in this case JK Rowling, has a history of transphobia. Which she does.

I’m aghast at all the posters sticking up for Rowling, she’s dead to rights as far as most reasonable thinking people would be concerned.

Please give one, or as many as you like, examples of transphobia from JK Rowling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

This morning I gave about ten examples of Rowling either posting transphobic remarks or supporting transphobic, homophobic activists on Twitter, in this very thread. Feel free to scroll up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

I assume you mean this is your evidence of JKR's transphobia?

When she said "violent, duplicitous rapists" she was specifically referring to Andrew Burns aka Tiffany Scott and Adam Graham aka Isla Bryson who without doubt are extremely violent, duplicitous rapists. Are you saying that she said transwomen in general are violent, duplicitous rapists? Do you believe that these 2 self identified transwomen are not extremely violent, duplicitous rapists and that they should be in a female prison with women, many of whom have been raped themselves?

Interesting that you say that she "fraternises" with women who campaign against same SEX rights when in reality she is very vocal in her support of gay people, particularly lesbians. Does it look like she is campaigning against same sex rights with this group of lesbians?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

The big headed red head is checking out the goods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So the implication here is that I either know everything I need to know about JK Rowling, or I;ve been living under a rock and have no idea who she is..?

She has said that she does not accept transwomen as real women, has she not? Because transwomen haven't had the same fears as ciswomen? She has called them 'rapists', has se not? Stop me where I make a mistake.

You don't need to have an in-depth Twitter knowledge to know this - you just have read the news.

Or are you saying it's all a conspiracy and she never commented on trans issues at all?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Kathleen Stock, Allison Bailey, Maya Forstater - three prominent women in that photo who have also experienced appalling abuse (including glee when Allison fell ill). Fanatical TRAs are deranged.

She has called convicted rapists, rapists. She highlighted her disgust that two violent male rapists who self identify as female were to be housed in female prisons. What do you find offensive in this?

She often comments on issues that are highly relevant to women and girls and the consequences of letting any male who choses to self ID as a woman. To pretend there are no consequences is silly, the problem is though that no debate is allowed as it is automatically shut down with cries of transphobia. Women have lost their careers by trying to speak openly about such issues.

Transwomen are biologically male, they could not be transwomen in the first place without being so. That does not mean they should be treated badly or not have the same rights as every other citizen in the land.

Maybe you should try reading her own words rather than you "just have to read the news". It very much depends on where you get your news.

283k people agree with her.

Anything that isn't 100% agreement is considered transphobia.

Merely disagreeing with disregarding biology is all it takes to be considered transphobic. It's stupid and absurd. Look at Macy Gray - the way she was reduced to having to say that being a woman is a "vibe". It's malevolent. Imagine, actual women being intimidated because of not agreeing that a woman can be anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think you gave some links which you said were transphobic, or some links to (fairly biased) articles saying she had said transphobic things.

But just saying they're transphobic doesn't make them transphobic. Why are the views transphobic? Are they actually still reasonable despite all that?

I replied to you earlier in thread with the Tavistock scandal, where a woman successfully sued the NHS over a false diagnosis of gender dysphoria, on the basis that she hadn't been questioned enough. You didn't reply - and there's a lot going on lately - so I'll put the question here again. Leaving aside the question as to what sort of medical diagnosis fails in court because it wasn't questioned enough, do you not think this shows the value in proper questioning of this ideology, as opposed to ipso facto dismissing criticism of it as transphobic?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Why are those performers in kinky fetish gear (and yes, it very much IS fetish getup) performing in front of mothers and small infants? Just why? 🤔🫤

Was it to provoke some sort of media storm to whip up controversy to sell more tickets for their next show?

Seems more bizarre and wholly inappropriate than "dangerous."

I'm an out and proud gay man (hell, my OH and I even have a little taste for leather gear now and then) but I really do think the world has gone completely mad...

"Seems more bizarre and wholly inappropriate than "dangerous"."

Agreed. Discussion a few pages back. Those who argue for the sake of arguing, and must never be seen to agree with their "enemies", pretend that people, who think as you do, are prudes.

So it's all a big misunderstanding then? She loves transwomen and sees them as equals?

She didn't tweet, "The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women - ie, to male violence - ‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences - is a nonsense."?

Sounds a bit contradictory to me - I don't hate you but you're not my equal? When you've been beaten up by a man then you can be a real women?

She's never once endorsed support for other transphobic comments? Or that doesn;'t count because I read it in a news story and not on Twitter?

Transphobia - she has a phobia - a perceived an irriaional fear of and danger from a group of people- transpeople - based on the acts of some men pretending to be transwomen.

Post edited by Princess Consuela Bananahammock on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

She doesn’t have a phobia at all, in my view. She is simply saying that women have rights, including the rights to safe places such as refuges from domestic violence, etc. Read her blog where she sets out her views. Listen to the podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

I don’t think you have read that tweet correctly.

"The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women - ie, to male violence - ‘hate’ trans people because they think sex is real and has lived consequences - is a nonsense."

Biological sex is real and it does have lived consequence and the rest of the tweet is compassion. Recognising difference does not equal denying equality. Rather than insist that they are identical in every way a trans individual would be far better off acknowledging the differences of biology. Equal but different. And equally the permanently outraged should acknowledge and accept the rights of trans individuals to live as they choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A key point in this is trans people have a pretty difficult time from an early age and have an extreme issue with their identity that most people don't have. Typically someone with gender dysphoria will also have other comorbidities (depression, self harm. autism etc etc) and as such are a pretty sensitive group.

Their insecurity around their identity is the primary source of the unwillingness to engage in rational, nuanced and calm debate. Their need for outside validation is driven by angst and self doubt.

Rowling is arguing for the safety of women in the most vulnerable of place; domestic violence shelters, prisons etc. To state you need safeguarding isn't transphobic, part of any safeguarding starts with hard questions and it must be its focus on finding bad actors.

To suggest that no predator anywhere wouldn't take advantage of these changes in society is idiotic; therefore to not guard against it is a dereliction of duty towards vulnerable women.

As part of coaching young children I need to be Garda vetted i.e. we must check that you are not a paedophile. That's how safeguarding works, you don't get to be super sensitive and say how dare you ask me to be vetted. The children come before my sensitivities. Most well adjusted people don't have an issue with that.

The genesis of modern gender ideology is in post modernism and as such is anti science and indeed rational reasoned thought/debate. This has been reflected in the medical care at the Tavistock and indeed the way in which it is discussed in society.

A return to science based care, as suggested by the former clinical head, might be a good place to start for a very vulnerable group that need care.

Without that there is no basis for proper treatment or the continued evaluation of current treatments like every other field of medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Sorry mate. We've moved on from that. We're now attacking/defending JK Rowling. Try to keep up 😁

I'd still argue it's transphobic - it's a fear. Not to mention the idea that a transoman can't experience violence from men...? Pwhy not? Plenty of men in the LGBTQ community - as well as trnaswomen - have experienced violence at the hends of men.

And it doesn't explain the support of other tweets (at least one of which she apologised for, to be fair - but there's still a pattern).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I don't get it , are you asking people or telling them? Because a few posts ago you were so sure you bookended you assertions with "end of story". As if it was an open and shut case that wasn't even worth discussing. Now you seem to be unsure so are asking. Wouldn't it be easier to to just produce the quotes that prove beyond all doubt that Rowling is transphobic rather than going around in circles asking rhetorical questions ?

Andrew Doyle in this video produces evidence that prove people are being lied to about Rowling. Thats how you win an argument , by producing evidence.

Post edited by BruteStock on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement