Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

Just about every point you raised there is "economy".

When we have an economic crisis we can deal with the economic crisis.

Meanwhile, we DO have a housing crisis, and burgeoning other crises to boot.

A bit of focus on the crises of the country would be nice instead of a focus on the things that aren't in crisis. You know. Sensible prioritised forward thinking that doesn't lead invariably to...crises.

Like being in a hospital with a gunshot and all the staff running around arguing about a scratch on my finger. That's not what I need. I'm shot. Do something about the bullet hole, I'll worry about what's not wrong later.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

You’ve got a fairly blinkered view of Irish society. Plenty of unskilled workers, more than third level educated anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,108 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

and do you think the hospitality industry or agricultural processing industries are going to up their wages and be able to fill their positions with irish people? like you know that's never going to happen, even with a right wing government. the lobbies of both industries are both too powerful to be forced to up their wages to a level irish people will work for. we're talking tens of thousands of jobs here that will always be reliant on foreign people coming in.

there are just a lot of things about modern ireland i think some of you should just come to terms with and suck it up.

There's nothing wrong with all types of work. Wages are another issue, the standards of life expected from types of work are another issue. In a healthily balanced confined system it works to suit its ends. A tiny nation like ireland opened up to literally the planet was never going to balance out, not in a million years.

Trying to position oneself into a rapidly shrinking population that's pampered by a rapidly increasing population of unlike people sounds like some kind of roman empire era hell. With a fraction of its longevity.

We worked perfectly fine before as a country before mass immigration, it's not a problem. It wouldn't be a problem if we operated as a bonafide country and not some strange semi nation of tax dodging corporate shills and cheap imported labour in neverending crisis.

Yep, and it's such a great country huge amounts of those qualified people are pulling a runner out of the place because there's no future here. Can't even put a roof over their heads.

And that's despite our blossoming above-all-else economy. Once that goes, as they always do, woof, there'll be something to witness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

-who’s buying into what. That would be an economical matter it’s the ecology; stupid that’s all I care for not some money grubbing scum who’d irrevocably sell you down the river overnight for a quick fix. I didn’t change my spots in that regard still the same eco warrior regardless, still fighting the good fight you protect the wildlife unique to its habitat so why not the people, or are we below that if some absolute herd off somewhere is spiralling out of control leave them be. Nature has a way of taking care of that lest we want to offset the whole equilibrium so let them at it.

We didn't work perfectly fine. It was a hellhole that huge numbers left from.

More Irish people are returning to Ireland rather than leaving according to the most recent CSO data.

This country is broken.

It's fair to say "you can't do this and that won't happen". Those are famous words repeated ad infinitum throughout history.

But, the country is still broken. Doing anything is better than nothing, and facing a challenge is better than sitting in the muck talking about what can't and what won't.

Ah would you stop. A hellhole.

Sure, pick any point in time and you'll find a crisis. The 80's la la la.

But like this? Right now?

Housing crisis, immigration crisis, healthcare going down the tubes, education stuffed, and more importantly, with every factor projected realistically to get worse with no end in sight?

Jesus even with the brits it was a simple enough enemy during the troubles.

No, no. This is a whole different kettle of fish. Existential level.

We worked perfectly fine through the 90's and into the start of the century, we let it run away on us, and a large part of that, especially right now, is the rapid population increase and its infrastructural impacts.

• Advertisement

But who's to say that's Irish?

Even the esri admitted recently that they can't distinguish between groups of people.

In other words, what they're counting are passport holders, could equally be an Irish child born and raised here as a Mongolian that got a passport 5 weeks ago. The whole system is out of hand.

you said huge amounts of qualified irish people are leaving in their droves. how do you know they're really irish? where are you getting your data?

A lot of it is anecdotal. And I don't mean I heard it off the neighbours budgies cousin.

I know of more than a few healthcare related education classes and the word is out, they're booked out of the country before even finishing. Not typical adventures, but based on there being no conceivable future for them here. It's serious. Like 20 out of 21 students and the like. And Irish.

It'll eventually come out in statistics, but it's hardly going to be shock of the century, is it?

Even that eviction ban is a sign of the tines that are in it. And again, it's worth stressing, this is with the miraculous economy going? As I said, where will that leave us when it does what it always does and drops dead? Cos these people surging the population, a lot are going nowhere, hail or shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

The thing that gets me with immigration is that an Irish nurse/ doctor/ fireman etc gets no help to find somewhere to live in Dublin.

However someone that flies in and rips up their passport gets put up in a hotel?

It's beyond bizarre....

Heaven and earth will be moved to get these “refugees” social housing too in the next year or so.

This is just another brazen example of how badly broken the nations system is, there are a million more.

There are very serious issues to be discussed in relation to culture, identity, nation, representation, fairness, rightful expectation and so on. There is a growing undercurrent within the likes of the United nations and EU as to the fallacies of modern economic theory. In other words, recognition that a lot of previously held beliefs are simply unfit for this century.

A lot of people, imo, tend to hear the word immigrant and immediately conjure up images of 1800's United States. Very few people able to travel, and those that could travelled for months if not years on end to arrive in places to no social supports and extreme hardship, but with at least plenty of room for expansion if you survived. To a lesser extent even the UK/us for irish people in the 80's. A big economic boon for a country in a lot of ways. But it's all last century thinking, if not several centuries.

We live in a world now where you can hop on a plane for 20 euro. We live in an occupied world with next to no room for immediate expansion. Climate change is happening. Cultural clashes are happening, sometimes to dreadful extents. Corporations and governments are high out of their minds on the sugar rush of cheap labour and haven't put an iota of thought into how their visions are based off century old daydreams and the impact of old meets new.

And so on.

The world is changing quickly, and in tiny little Ireland we need to get a grip on the cost of the likes of 9% of the population having arrived in a mere 5 years. The housing crisis bears it out, the healthcare situation bears it out, the education system bears it out, social mobility bears it out, eviction bans bear it out. And more.

Those are the priorities, and for the simple sake of pushing governments into this century, it is prime time for a politically actionable event on immigration in this country. Way past time, as everyone is starting to notice.

In time the war in Ukraine may be seen as a blessing, like a sharks fin appearing above water, it has drawn attention to something that was already happening under our noses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Am I going mad or did I read on another thread that you were Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

It should be very possible to source Irish or at least EU tech workers. Yet many come from outside the EU through our colleges etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

A breakdown of state housing and waiting lists would go a long way to making this feel like a more transparent discussion.

Unsurprisingly this isn't available anywhere

So are you against non EU people taking tech jobs here? Plenty of Irish tech needs take jobs in the USA etc. That's the way of the industry, hard to get the right people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Irish born with an Irish passport.

Isn't that an Irish citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Lofidelity

That's what's gonna happen when so many low paid jobs are done by foreign people coming here. Why wouldn't you put yourself on the housing list if you qualified?

The whole economic system needs to change and you need to lobby your TDs to take benefits like social housing away from non nationals if you're concerned.

Are you deliberatly misquoting the article?

What I see from your linked article is different from what you posted.

See below for direct quote.

40% of people who are in emergency accommodation or homeless aren't Irish citizens, and that's often missed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Come on now give the government some credit.

They encouraged us to give all the healthcare staff a round of applause during covid.

I mean mass immigration is making it impossible for the younger generation to find accomadation and mass immigration is putting too much strain on the health service.

Would you live at home into your 30s and 40s or go somewhere where you can have your own place to live and have less of a workload.

Maybe if they organize more clapping it might encourage our future healthcare staff to stay here instead of going elsewhere.

Who encouraged you to clap for healthcare workers?

would you not want to go to Australia or somewhere if you could work anywhere you wanted having qualified as a doctor/nurse?

the majority come back here eventually and want to live here. doctors aren't living with their parents in ireland either.

if you want specific training and exposure to different environments and more variation, it's hard to get it all in Ireland so doctors try and do some stints abroad. Like the UK is where most Irish doctors are employed and the NHS isn't all that at the moment and the pay is less than Ireland.

They used to release the social housing allocation lists for fingal. Almost all non Irish. They’ve stopped releasing the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Not everyone wants to move to Australia or abroad for work.

Where is your link to the stats that the majority come back here to work as doctors.

I am not doubting its true but it would be good to see the stats on it.

Again a link to your statement of fact that doctors aren't living with parents.

Advertisement