Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Kia EV prices are just too high. Their Niro EV is €46k. Nice car with good tech but it’s hard to justify. Some price adjustment is required by Kia.

The Q1 sales figures will be interesting all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I was just looking at nobby on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIIXNGAzUg, any way checking the prices, https://www.kia.com/ie/purchase-guide/pricelist/ prices for the sportage phev have gone up 3000 euro in 6 months.

For the niro

K3 HEV105g €190 €37,700

K3 PHEV21g €140 €39,700

K3 EV**0g €120 €41,775

K4 PHEV21g €140 €42,700

K4 EV **0g €120 €44,990

Remove the grant from the EVs then they would have adjust their price even more,

For me, I could drive the phev for 4 or 5 years before I would be out of pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

As somebody said earlier manufacturers are targeting the higher end of the market right now. With limited supply there are plenty of takers.

It will all be very interesting if / when electricity prices come right back down.

Will public charging prices follow?

Will there be enough EV's delivered into Ireland to supply the extra demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭smax71

Yes but I suppose there is also the argument that many people are very happy to drive new cars with base level of spec and currently that choice is not available in the EV market. There's big money to be made selling highly specced, large and overpriced EVs to enthuastists who will pay a premium for such cars and those who think they / are saving money compared to driving ICEs. Hopefully the supply of reasonably priced, smaller and lower specced EVs will improve over next few years and this choice will become available for EVs

However, the decision to buy an EV is not always about saving money. Some people like to own the latest tech and will buy EVs even if they dont actually save any money. As said no one will come on here criticising someone for spending €100k on a luxury car when they could have saved loads by buying a basic Corolla. But for some reason if that car happens to be an EV then immediately a few people will be on telling them they wont save any money and should really have bought an equivalent ICE. Conversely, if it's an ICE people will be telling them how much cheaper to run an EV would be. If you rely solely on public charging an EV will be more expensive and probably more inconvenient to run than an ICE but so what if the person can afford it and wants an EV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As a manufacturer you'd be mad to let a base spec out of factory if you can every car as a higher spec model. As capacity improves we should start to see a move towards lower spec base versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

You have to also factor in consumerism . It's not all about value of money but of folks wanting to consume the latest and greatest.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

No, no, no, people only buy EV's to save the planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Case in point would be the Tesla Model Y..

It only existed as a Long Range or Performance (both dual motor) until recently because production was at capacity and they were selling every car they made (with higher margins), but since Berlin came fully online as well as the increase in capacity in Shanghai they then started producing the ‘base’ spec RWD version, and they’ve been selling like hot cakes.. (helped too by the price drops)….

When the Model Y was first available here the cheapest version was close to €70k, now the cheapest version is €46k…. And that will have opened it up to so many prospective buyers..

If the other manufacturers could do something similar re base spec versions of their EV’s, they’d probably also sell like hot cakes, but before they’d even consider that they need the production capacity to do it…. Why devote some of what is already limited production to a lesser margin version of any car they make…

Tesla have once again stolen a March on the competition (when Giga Mexico is opened it’ll most likely be solely producing the cheaper again ‘Model 2’ car), and the Chinese probably won’t be too far behind!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

In both cases you're comparing a bog standard family car to a luxury family car. Teslas and EV6 directly compete with Audi A4s and BMW 3series. The EVs are too expensive thing is getting boring. Nobody is factoring in inflation or where these cars actually sit in the market. There are plenty of EVs around the 37k mark and you'll get the grant too. Also anyone with a home charger would argue that an ICE car is more inconvenient. Stopping for petrol. Not a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Ignoring headline figures for a moment and putting my accounting hat on, isn't the true cost of owning a car depreciation + financing + running + servicing and repair costs over the period you own it?

Say 3 years of owning a car and 33% depreciation on both, argue that figure later, the ev6 will cost 18k in depreciation while the sportage will be 12,333. Assuming financing costs are the same the ev6 will be 5,667 dearer than the sportage over 3 years which is where the cheaper fuel amd servicing comes in. Assuming you're charging primarily at home it's only 1800 a year to start recouping, 35 euro a week. At certain mileage

Numbers aren't exact by any means and every case needs it's own calculations but I can see many situations where the ev6 will work out cheaper or at least break even over the sportage. But for balance for a low mileage driver I can see shortage winning out to be fair.

That's before giving any weight to which car you actually prefer and the argument whether they are true competitors to each other in the first place?

I bought a 42k EV and it may be wishful thinking, but I hope it holds its value very well in comparison to what a 42k ICE would. But who knows??

• Advertisement

The key point there is "Assuming you're charging primarily at home"

I am referring to the case for buying an EV then charging it exclusively on the public network.

Bonkers IMO, it's an inconvenience and expensive.

The discussion is about buying an EV and using the public network to charge it.

I can't see the financials making sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

I take it you haven't driven both the EV6 and Sportage? Calling the EV6 luxury and new sportage Bog standard is quite a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

We have a 3 series and a Model 3 and I'd consider them of a similar standard. 3 is obviously much faster and the BMW costs 3 times as much to run.

I saw a second hand golf advertised in Frank Keane for over 80k, you'd get 2 ID3s for that.

Tesla, BMW and Audi are priced the same. Three premium car brands.

The Sportage sits lower in Kia's range than the EV6. They've made the new shape more premium I will say.

Also from what I'm seeing online it starts closer to 47k for the new shape, thus going back to my point that cars cost more now and people are confusing premium EV prices with general inflation in car prices. The poster talking about the Tiguan above got it spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wouldn't say that now. A fairly large crossover from Tesla starts at €46k, the one from BMW starts at €86k (both have a wheel base of about 2900-3000mm, which is indicative of overall interior size). The only Teslas that are premium are the Model S and Model X and you haven't been able to order those from Tesla for a few years now.

Totally agree with your second post about car prices ICE / PHEV vs BEV, there is very little in it now for cars below the grant level

I think you're missing the point. I'm comparing a model 3 to a 3 series or A4 in terms of price. A poster above said EVs cost considerably more than ICE equivalents by saying a Tesla competes with a Toyota Corolla.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No I got the point alright. The base versions of those 3 cars are similar in price but I would call the A4 and 3 series premium, the Tesla not premium. Although the difference is a lot less than it would have been a generation ago.

Similar to a VW Golf is semi-premium, but its successor the ID.3 for similar money is an econobox pur sang 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You haven't said which EV it was you bought and the problems you had using it without home charging. Do you have experience in the area or are you projecting the perceived problems?

If you are just projecting numbers sums you should be aware that walk up charging fees don't make sense for those who are using public chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Rather a similar situation here. I've a new 40kWh Leaf since last July which was perfect at the time, but suddenly found myself having to move out of Dublin in November as no other rental property we'd viewed was as acceptable price-wise and livable as a home as the one we found. Official range is 270km but when charging, I try not to exceed 80%. Still this leaves nearly approx. 220km and I've never been able to make a roundtrip from my new location to Dublin and back on the one charge (even with A/C and Climate Control kept off) and the distance is 80-odd km each way by motorway. Mitigating this, I'm WFH the majority of the time, can granny cable at the new place when I need to, can usually charge via granny cable in the office when I'm there (dedicated chargers are due soon) and can also charge at the family home in Dublin when I'm around. But the lack of range is still a serious shortcoming. If I'd known and been able to plan for a move out of Dublin before I got the Leaf, I'd have either stuck with an ICE, gone for the larger battery version Leaf or otherwise maybe the 64kWh Kona. The ESB charging network is pretty decent where I'm at now, but avoid as much as I can as the costs are now huge like you mentioned. I'm extremely luckily to WFH because without it - if I was back and forth the distance every day on this Leaf, it probably wouldn't work. When the PCP runs out on this in two years, I'll definitely be hunting for something else with twice the range.

All that said, I otherwise love the car - no real regrets other than the range but I couldn't have planned for the sudden move, and I absolutely love driving electric. I'd hate to switch back to ICE unless for maybe a classic car or a motorhome on the side later on in life, if I'm ever in a position to have either.

Post edited by Garzard on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

160km is very poor range for 40kwh. My old 28kwh Ioniq would have done more even in the worst of conditions! Are you driving at 140kmh on the motorway? Very surprised the economy is that poor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

Never at those speeds; I mostly keep it to 110kmh or at the limit. For the 80km commute on the motorway, it's been hemorrhaging usually 130km or even more over this winter. From an 80% charge on the battery, I'd be left at usually 60-70km when arriving between locations.

On milder days though like Monday, it used a more acceptable 100km over the 80km commute. I'm hoping it'll continue to improve further into the spring and summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Would you not start charging that Leaf to 100% and give yourself an extra 20% in range ? If you’re getting rid of it at the end of the PCP, it’s not going to matter how much the battery might be degrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you are far enough into your PCP you might be able to change the car early without loosing your deposit. Request a settlement figure from the bank and then look around at some cars and see what they offer you as a trade in. If the difference is the same or more than you put into the car at the beginning of your PCP, it might make sense to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Your point in relation to the EV6 and Sportage still makes no sense. Sit in both and drive them before you call one premium and the other bog standard.

The Sportage interior is it's strongest asset. Everything else falls below the EV6 but they have closest the gap significantly with the new model.

• Advertisement

I don't use the public charging network, our driving profile doesn't require it.

We have a rare long journey coming and it will be either

1/ arrange with host to granny charge

2/ see if host has a neighbour that can let us charge

3/ drive the diesel.

I've seen for myself, read on social media and spoken to enough people to know that public charging is best avoided. Plenty of examples on this thread alone.

It's fine for occasional use but really not practical as your primary source.

Then there is the cost of charging all the time on the public network, I just don't see it making financial sense tbh. If it was substantially cheaper then you'd get over the inconvenience but it's not and time is money.

Advertisement