Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,386 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Best of luck to the Minors playing tomorrow and the Under 20s on Wednesday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

davey always says he goes out to win every match so taking that at face value and he is being 100% truthful then as a waterford supporter you would have to be concerned based on what has been served up to date…..! Draw with Dublin and at times struggled to get on top of Antrim and Laois…..ten pt defeat to tipp and a loss to kk in a game that from what I saw of it yesterday was littered with u12 type errors…stick/hand/flick passes to team mates surrounded by kk players, poor shooting, incorrect options being taken etc etc……no idea what a starting 15 will be for first game v limerick…..can all this put right in a month……would have to hope so but ‘hoping’ is not a good word to be relying on 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Waterford are gone just horrible to watch again. Davy's plan the first time around (in his first managerial stint) was horribly defensive, trying to avoid bad beatings, and Derek's iteration were very defensive as well, noting no Munster Championship won now in 13 years. Michael Ryan's style was much nicer to watch as was Liam Cahill's with us lining out in a much more attacking and positive way (trying to forget Fannings stint) but here we are back to one forward inside the 45 at times. It's absolutely gruesome.

I have this year just written off in my head and I would love for this Waterford team to prove me wrong, but all the signs are that we have 100% returned to the days of lots of huffing and puffing and complex gameplans dreamed up by a manager who overcomplicates the game ...but no silverware to show for it.

(I wish Davy would just leave)

Could you argue that Davy fluked an All Ireland win with Clare back in 2013 ?. Cork were mere seconds away from winning the drawn game. Davy really underachieved with that squad after struggling in All Ireland Qualifiers and not even getting back too Croke Park or even getting to a Munster Final. It might of been doubtful that Clare team would of won an Ireland under him it wasn't for 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Are the minor / U20 matches being streamed on any platform ?

I was very impressed with Joe Booth in last years U20 campaign and had expected him to get a run out with the Senior squad.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭Rosita

You couldn't argue that. Cork led for nearly the only time all day in injury time after they scored 1-1. They were second best all through, often 3/4/5 points behind and relied on occasional goals to stay in touch. They were well beaten in the replay. Prejudice towards the current Waterford manager causing a revision of the 2013 final would be grossly unfair. Clare were by far the better team.

There might be an argument that the teams Clare played (Waterford, Galway, Limerick, Laois, Cork) were not at any of the counties' all-time high standard and that it was not a vintage championship. But Clare 2013 would not be first county you could accuse of that. And from where Clare were coming from it took some doing. And the final win was undoubtedly deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I wouldn't argue it was a fluke but you'd wonder without Kinnerck in the coaching set up involved would they have got over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Kinnerk finished with Clare in 2014, within a year Clare turned in to a short passing team until he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

I see Joe Canning wrote quite a detailed piece in the last 24 hours regarding our "puck-out" strategy where we push everyone up the field leaving just two players inside our 45 - believing the aim was to bring opposing forwards further away from our goal., which is an interesting concept, that is until the opposition decide to leave a forward or two inside our backs, - do we risk the puck out breaking down and being returned with interest or do we start to drop back. Apparently Davy has loads of puck-out strategies !! My own view is that puck-out strategies should be about creating space and movement where the ball can be played into space with players moving onto the ball rather than having to stand under a dropping ball in congested areas, where backs generally have the advantage, and the more players you push up, the less space there is to exploit - just my thoughts.

It was also mentioned about Jack Fagan being allowed/pushed up the field to win puck outs, but let's be honest Jack was always quite an effective Half Forward to has grown and strengthened immensely over the last two year, so why not just play him as a ball winning half forward and find an alternative half back!!

I am more interested in Davy's restart plans after half time - once again for the throw in we had five forwards inside the opposition area, and most baffling of all TDB placed at wing forward. Ball was thrown in, we lost possession KK attacked and TDB ran back to and stayed in his normal position. (maybe i am totally wrong and it was Fagan or Lyons was placed there - all the red helmets can be confusing at times in our Half Back line but am fairly certain it was TDB) - if it was for a Puck Out- just to see could he win it, fair enough but for a throw in - the mind boggles!!!

Interested to see how our Minors and under 20s go over the next two nights - saw the minors in Celtic Challenge last year and they were handy, i know a year makes a difference but will be interested to see. have they progressed under Joxer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,549 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was definitely TdB in half forward for 2nd half restart, was just in front of where we were in the stand. 4 in the full forward line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Tadhg was the sweeper so as he's the one without marking duties it makes sense he's the one pushed up to make up the 6 inside the 65 for the throw in. If it's anyone else it means swapping men around.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Terrible evening for the minor hurling tonight. Tough conditions for lads to play in.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I'm amazed that the game does not appear to have been cancelled. It has been raining continuously in Dungarvan for two days, getting worse all the time. Conditions are terrible right now with driving rain and wind. There is an unusually high spring tide at the moment, and all sea front car parks have been closed by the council, with warnings of potential flooding.

They should of put the games back as curtain raisers for the senior games given it's an identical fixture list

It's disgraceful having to play a game of hurling in conditions like that. It's really a bit of a lottery, and the referee isn't helping. Waterford at sea for the first 20 minutes but seem to have improved a bit before half time.

James Skehill wasn't holding back regards Davy on the Hurling Pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Munster council should be ashamed of themselves having let this game go ahead - absolute joke and a danger to players -

If Waterford had played in the first 20 minutes like they played in the remaining forty, they could well have won this game, especially as they were playing with a strong wind in the first half. In the end they were beaten by a giveaway goal. Conor Tobin did create one good goalscoring chance, but the Limerick goalie saved well. They were somewhat unlucky not to get the equaliser at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Electric Ireland Munster Minor Hurling Championship from Fraher Field, Dungarvan.

@WaterfordGAA @LimerickCLG

#GAA

Full time

Waterford : 0-7(7)

Limerick : 1-7(10)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Disgrace to allow that game go ahead tonight. How a referee can do a pitch inspection and deem that field fit to play in is beyond me. Not fair on lads training hard the last few months and expected to play in that, just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Maybe fraher field has had an amazing drainage upgrade in the last 12 months……the Ballygunner v tipp champions Loughmore Castleiney last year shouldn’t have been played either if anyone can recall the atrocious conditions that day…?

That looks bad alright. They need to reinstate the minor championship as curtain raisers for the senior games. Especially on All Ireland final day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Absolutely terrible to allow that game to go ahead. And the U20 game is fixed for same venue again tomorrow night. And a further deluge of rain forecast for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Sounds like it was an awful night to try play a game of hurling and hard for any player to stand out or look any way decent in those conditions.

Maybe in better weather it would have been a fairer reflection of what both teams were really like (as well as a better game) but I suppose the result still stands and it’s yet another defeat to add to the underage collection. Could probably count on one hand the number of underage wins these last few years, we just never seem to come out the right side of a close game.

Here’s hoping the 20’s can get a result tonight, assuming it goes ahead. A Limerick clean sweep at minor, u20 tonight and senior in a few weeks would depress me no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭The White Feather

The Waterfotd v Limerick U20 match has been postponed due to unplayable pitch

A little OTT by him tbh

He should be relieved as it could easily of been his county Galway under Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JD. 60

Thanks.

No mention of this on Waterford GAA website as far as I can see. Limerick GAA website is up to date at least - says match rescheduled for March 25th @ 1.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick had been in the same position for man years, suffering clean sweeps to Cork and Tipp regularly.

And it's a strong possibility that when this current incredible senior squad ride into the sunset this will be repeated.

Would you be depressed no end if it was one of the big 3, Tipp,Cork or Kilkenny that were doing the clean sweeps.

Limerick won a minor game last night by a single score, in lottery conditions. The U20 game is impossible to call, and i see the senior game in Thurles in April as 50/50. Just that the venue might tilt it in Limerick's favour.

Advertisement