Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Gold discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

No worries and that's exactly what it was - a brief stint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Marty Whelan would have left 2FM at this stage (March 1989), as he was going to Century - though he continued on the RTE schedule on "Where in the World" quiz show on TV, as these would have been recorded in advance.

However he was not allowed to stay on RTE TV as he had left for Century.

The 2FM weekday and in some respects the weekend schedule started to settle down again in late 1989 / early 1990. It remained that way for a good few years after with core talent such as Ian, Gerry, Larry, Gareth, Barry, Tony and Dave remaining in pretty much the same timeslots.

Post edited by ford fiesta on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Will Leahy mentioned this morning just after the 8am news that they’re getting new jingles next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Do RTÉ Gold need a few more presenters?

Will’s breakfast show is a good listen..but is there any other show on Gold worth a listen?

The station that you can hear any song, from any era all jumbled up - RTE Gold is fine as it is, around 6 hours of presenters each day.

• Advertisement

Agree with Ford Fiesta on this. If you want back to back uninterrupted music from a fairly decent comprehensive playlist, then RTE Gold is it. If you want presenter drivel followed by commercials and then some music, well then Classic Hits 4FM, Nova, Sunshine, Q102, FM 104, 98FM, Today FM... You are spoiled for choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

They could do with a bit better imaging and promos, They run the same promos for the weekend programmes endlessly. Would it kill then to record a new 15 or 20 seconds promo each weekend on top of prerecording a 2 or 3 hour show?

if I hear that D Harris clip from ABC to XTC or the same Al Dunne clip I think I will scream

Just noticed this evening, RTE Gold running live programming. Aiden Leonard presenting 20th Century Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What is their definition of gold? This morning they had new songs from Harry Styles and Robbie Williams on.

Will Leahy always does that. He said once that it’s for the kids who are “forced” to listen to the station by their parents. I like him but don’t always like his choice of music.

• Advertisement

This is great...evening time is much better time to have a presenter on rather than in the Afternoons or at Drivetime. Aidan sounds like he is live also - was giving live score updates last night for the Ireland match.

Reply to Ford Fiesta:

Yes he is live!! But he has emphasized that they are running a technical test so I don't know how long this will last. Great to hear a live presenter on at that time in the evening especially with it being Aidan. His links are kept very simple as to what a music driven radio station should sound.

As an FYI, Ronan Collins starts on RTE Gold from 10am - 1pm this coming Wednesday. Rick O'Shea moving to afternoons 1pm - 4pm. Just hope that Ronan Collins's show is formatted something like Rick O'Shea's and not overloaded with talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Recent posts and threads, after the announcement of Dave Fanning's move, reminded me of that wonderful program ABC to XTX presented by John Connolly. I'm just listening now to one of his shows from last August and intend to catch up on loads more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

ABC to XTC is a brilliant show. Perfect for a Saturday evening too.

Can't stand Dave Fanning though, his voice and mannerisms make me turn off so I'm hoping he'll be on at a time I don't usually listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Will Leahy played Meghan effing Traynor's latest song this morning....

When did they start playing modern day tunes?

If they're doing that at least they could pick a decent tune.

Ahhh.. so he's playing Mylee Sirus (?) 'FLOWERS' now...

I don't tend to listen to the station in the mornings so is it a mix of classic and modern?

Still, that Meghan Traynor song sucks.

He started doing it from quite early on. I listened to the show from the start and it was initially “new music from Gold artists” but eventually morphed into modern pop crap. His excuse was to give something to the kids who are forced to listen to the show by their parents. But I don’t like it either, I tune into RTE Gold to avoid that stuff.

Leahy doesn't like been restricted to a purely Gold playlist, he feels too young for that. He'd be much more suited to doing a breakfast show on one of the local stations in the west but then he's not going to give up the golden goose RTE staffer job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

How much new stuff does he play? That reasoning for playing new music is pretty weak.

Usually one or two an hour.

Will has been playing the odd chart song since he started on the RTE Gold breakfast show

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Tomorrow's bank holiday special will be Top 100 Irish cover versions, starting from 11am.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Won’t be tuning in so! Too much paddy whackery on the airwaves today, seems more so this year than any other year!

So RTE Gold are now running live programming from 7am to 4pm**

Who will be the next RTE 1/RTE 2FM presenter to retire and end up voice tracked on RTE Gold from 4pm to 7pm?

**Ronan Collins 10am to 1pm is not live.

Is Ronan Collins capable of engaging the listener for 3 hours? It seems to me that these guys are so institutionalized with the culture at RTE Radio 1 by just doing one 1 hour show per day. Would doing 3 hours be like just too much work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I like to think of the station as RTÉ Radio 1.5.

Is that list of top 100 covers available anywhere?

Will Leahy started playing a bit of William Shatner's version of Common People this morning while talking about Shatner then stopped and played something else..... why do DJs do this?

That's a pity. It's not a bad cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Advertisement