Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Unhappy with owning an EV in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Official range is 270km but when charging, I try not to exceed 80%

I’ll echo what others said, why are you hobbling yourself by doing that!

You bought a car with 100% usable, use it if you need it.

The only concern about charging to 100% is if you leave it sitting at 100% for days on end. I charged my old Leaf to 100% everyday. It had the save level of degradation as others after 4yrs of it.

Save yourself some grief and charge to 100% as it’s designed for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

So if a Sportage looked like an EV6 and an EV6 looked like a sportage would you be saying a Sportage is premium and an EV6 is a bog standard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

Yes it makes no sense charging only to 80% and then not having sufficient range. Charging to 100% will have minimal impact on battery when you're not letting it sit for long periods fully charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

I think I'd put asking your host to go checking with neighbours if you could granny charge last on the list. In an emergency fine but as a planned strategy?

Sorry I meant check if I could use their home charge point and pay for it obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

if you argument is that someone who does a reasonable amount of mileage and can solely rely on public charging is in a sub optimal position i dont think many disagree with you.

as for saying public charging is to be avoided sorry thats nonsense, you must have never used an ionity installation if thats your stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I'll look into it more with some hard facts but Kia historically target the mid sized family SUV segment with the Sportage and the EV6 is more targeted at A4, 3 series buyers. The new Sportage is priced at 47k so this puts it in the same ballpark as an ID4. The difference is with the ID4 you get the grant back.

My overriding point is that ICE cars now cost the same price as EVs give or take a few percent and the EV6 sits higher in the range than the Sportage but like I said I'll come back with hard facts on both. If both cars are exactly the same like you say, then it is likely a price adjustment will follow for one or both of these cars.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ahh ok, it's something I notice pretty regularly. The people who claim it's inconvenient, costly, or unworkable are people haven't even tried. You are no better than the people who haven't driven an EV yet.

The situation is very much dependant on the charging infrastructure in a local area. I don't particularly find having to charge my car twice at week at a DC charger located on my local supermarket to be a huge burden. Charger availability is not a huge problem, you do not need to charge the car at rush hour meaning that queuing at them has not been a problem. Similarly on the costs, charging memberships dramatically swing the needle.

Cars are a luxury purchase, not everyone buys them as a purely practical and financial product. If they did we'd all be driving the most efficient and cheap box on wheels. Maybe you are the type of person who spends their whole life counting the nickels and dimes. However this being a motoring forum I would expect there to be more people who purchase a car from an enthusiast point of view where they are willing to spend money on something they enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Have owned a 28KwH Ioniq for 2 years and absolutely love it. I get 200km + range in summer, and a little less in winter and it's perfect for my driving, which is mostly around town with a few out-of-town excursions at weekends, but tending to be <150km round trips.

I charge at home, and all is hunky dory.

I recommend an EV to everyone I speak to, they really are lovely to drive and own.

However, if i did not have a home charger, there is no way in hell I would consider one.

The town I live in (Drogheda - the largest town in Ireland by the way) has one fast charger, and it's constantly hogged by plug-in Hybrids for hours on end, sometimes entire workdays. I have on several occasions needed to use the public chargers on the Applegreen M1 at Lusk. Nowhere near enough capacity. In my experience both spaces are constantly full and there are usually a few other confused looking EV owners parked nearby.

I don't use the public charging network enough to know if it's getting better, but the times I have needed to use it have not been great.

To be fair there are plenty of examples of it being inconvenient. You've pretty much said yourself avoiding rush hour helps. That's not convenient at all.

I witnessed a situation on a one way street recently where an EV driver, with a large SUV, had to do a 3 point turn against the traffic and approach the remaining space of the EV spot from the wrong side, in order to get it close enough to plug in the charge cable.

I genuinely couldn't contemplate having to contend with that on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

Ok, so lets say a Sportage and ID4 are similar market segment.

A Sportage starts at €37500 and an ID4 €44500.

So ~€7000 of a difference. With home charging I'd say ID4 is financially viable (because I expect electricity prices to fall and petrol / diesel to increase)

But if you are using the public network exclusively to charge then I don't see the point in terms of fuel price and convenience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

When we had a petrol car we didn't drive to the local petrol station during rush hour either. Public charging is very different when you have DC provision at a local amenity versus using a motorway charger during rush hour.

If having to make a 3 point turn to get into a parking spot is beyond your capabilities then I can see why anything outside of your limited experience seems daunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

even at that it isnt apples with apples, the kia is a 1.6 diesel manual with 136bhp, versus a 177bhp automatic for the id4

The ID4 is in a marginally higher price bracket. Bigger car, more desirable brand.

You shouldn't buy an EV if you can't charge at home. If you live in an apartment tough luck for the time being. If you live in a house and don't have off-street parking, hopefully the county council's will allow for pop up chargers on the street in time and wire them to homes through a simple channel in the ground. Nobody is forcing people into EVs until 2030. Those who have home chargers rarely go back to ICE and if they do it's usually because they bought a car with a small battery or didn't consider their driving habits.

Update: I've just had a look at a 36k Sportage and it's in no way at the same level of a base ID4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think that many apartment dwellers with their own dedicated spaces should in the future be able to get a charge point installed. It will obviously cost more and require a co-operative management company but it should be possible to run cable to roof or wall mounted chargers like this. It's important that this infrastructure is owned by the residents and that the cable is connected back to their meter so that they can avail of the cheaper charging. Outsourcing it to a common provider for all residents would be a retrograde step if people had their own spaces.

I think we're too litigious a country to facilitate any footpath-crossing cable for on-street parking unfortunately. Whether airborne-cantilever or in a dedicated channel.

You missed the point about the 3 point turn. Somebody had to do it on a one way street to face against the flow of traffic so he could get his nose close to the charger.

Then I assume he had to repeat the whole process to get back with the flow of traffic

Doesn't sound much fun to me tbh and it's one of many example of why many people wouldn't drive an EV and rely exclusively on public chargers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Just as so many people are doing also. Its no wonder the infrastructure cant catch up.

I know another person who is really getting sick of a relative calling to their house to charge. Its comical really.

There are some people who should be buying EVS, but so many who have bought them and shouldnt have them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭moceri

Can anyone advise if this is a braked meter which prevents export.

Where is this DC charger with such a bad layout? Seems to be a bad idea to install charging infrastructure in such a way unless the street is extremely quiet. If the street is quiet enough doing a 3 point turn shouldn't be seen as a huge burden by any competent driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Charger prices will not come down. they will go up. ITs the only thing keeping the ones that are available available at the moment. They need to greatly improve the availability before prices will come down, and they wont do that because they arent bothered doing it for the last decade. Infrastructure needs to improve at a faster pace than adoption because its so far behind

• Advertisement

Until the charging bays are full at every Circle K in Ireland, nothing will happen. There just isn't enough public charging happening at the moment to justify the spend. It goes back to the point that most people are charging from home, with the exception of a few people who rely on the network and can see it's flaws.

Lower Bedford row Limerick. Have a look on street view. At least both cars are plugged in 😂

That's not a DC charger, are we at the point of charging in public bad because we have to trail a cable across a parking space? I wouldn't rely on on-street AC as part of a long term reliance on public charging. It's a nice bonus when you can get it, but with up to 10hr occupancy periods it doesn't work unless it's so ubiquitous that you have access within a couple of 100m from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They are AC chargers though. So you would use your own cable to reach.

The driver you were describing must be an idiot.

I'm just describing what I saw. Don't know anything about the person's circumstances other than they did a 3 point turn to get in there. And another to get out.

You saw a person who's problem was very easily solved by purchasing a suitable sized cable. That's a much easier task than purchasing a home with a driveway during a housing crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,683 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

This is exactly it. And you describe the situation that applies to most, yes most EV owners in a country like the Netherlands. Where most people do not have their own driveway with their own home charge point. AC charge points are literally everywhere. Usually nearly on every residential street. Price of electricity at those charge points is typically only a few cent more than the price of residential electricity too. Just looked it up and there are 120,000 public AC charge points. In a country less than half the size of Ireland (26 counties)

• Advertisement

It's amazing the difference that having local authorities that provide amenities to residents can do. Local government here doesn't have enough power to deliver meaningful projects that serve the community.

Advertisement