Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bought Starwing on release and loved it, the choppy PAL frame rate not withstanding.

But Virtua Racing, now that was astonishing, far far better than Stunt Race FX on the SNES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Prices back then were insane. My first Amiga 500 cost me (well, my old man) 520 punts. In 1989 or whenever. About €1000 in todays cash.

What was he thinking?!

I still have it though and it still works.

That's why I never had one, and why to this day, they retain an special aura for me...I'd never have been lucky enough to have one. I went from Atari 2600, to C64, to the Snes and onwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd one friend with an A600 and another even more well off friend with an A1200.

Both had divorced parents and both computers were purchased for them by their dads.

I had to make do with non divorced parents and a Sega Megadrive. The inhumanity! 😃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I found out tears later that my megadrive cost my parents nothing because my aunty worked at arnotts and it was the display model they were going to throw out.

I think I told the story about the C64 I got before being confronted by the neighbours playing their imported snes next door.

A few of my friends had amigas as well when I just had a C64. I was so jealous of the games on them. I absolutely adored the port of r-type on the Amiga.

Master of the Universe

Hah that's gas! Is that still the same Megadrive you're using these days? Mad to think it spent a portion of it's life sitting on display in a store with folks playing it in the centre of town.

We were so skint in the early 90s my parents bought my Megadrive on higher purchase. Was an absolutely massive deal at the time.

To be fair, I still use it 30 years later so it was quite the investment!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I started with the Spectrum, but spent the years before playing on any arcade machines and pong consoles I could find!

I had a two year break from gaming before coming back to the Gameboy and C64 in 90 to 91.

I had a Spectrum +3 in there somewhere, and I remember a couple of kids laughing when I was looking for a game at the counter in Easons in 1990.

A step then to the MD, SNES and so on, but I remember playing the hell out of the Gameboy.

Things changed so quickly.

I mean, I went from playing Lemmings on the GB to playing Super Mario World in less than two years.

Another two years and it was Need for Speed and Return Fire on the 3DO, and a year later it was WipeOut and Ridge Racer on the PS.

The evolution of gaming was insanely fast.

It does seem like the past 15 years have been less about such revolutionary change and refinement, which has involved looking forward and bringing the best of the past along for the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Finished DQ7 on the 3DS. They ironed out some of the more archaic elements from the original, but there's still enough late-90s obscure JRPG horseshit in there for anyone who's into that sort of thing. Really satisfying loop of slowly restoring the world then re-exploring it and the game is actually the ideal length for all the stick it gets, especially since it's so episodic you can dip in and out at ease.

Moved onto the new Pokemon game and, while it's everything you'd ever want from a Pokemon game in 2023, it is still so janky 3 months after launch I can understand a bit of bitterness directed towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Still enjoying Wind Waker. About hafway through. Its very very easy though.

The ruthless timing in HarmonKnight (3DS) has me about frisbee my 3DS across my flat.

So great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

I'm slowly making my way from console generation to generation playing all the worthwhile games. On nds with Pokémon right now have about 125 games to play. Psx playing 40 winks with 200 games to play. Great fun. Should maybe write reviews on the games I finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'm playing Marble Madness on and off on my NES. It's fun and irritating.

Master of the Universe

I'm about 20 hours into Persona 4 Golden now, can't put it down the last couple of evenings.

Got a bit stuck on the current dungeon as I was incredibly under levelled - was spending way too much time boosting social links and didn't notice the time going by.

The boss I'm fighting is level 35 and I was sitting around level 24...I actually managed to beat the first boss but of course there had to be a second follow up boss and I was then we'll and truly mangled!

Had to do a bit of old school grinding for a few hours to get myself up to level 29, was a breeze then.

Honestly you shouldn't need to grind.

Social links are really important because you can fuse demons way higher than your current level which boosts your stats when they are summoned.

Also you know how stay buffs in rpgs are useless? They are massively important in shin Megami tensei games. Agility buffs and debuffs are near essential for many bosses.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I wouldn't have thought so,did a bit of googling and folks were recommending I be about ten levels higher than I was at that point in the game which was a bit of a surprise. I think I'd been a bit under exploring/ skipping too many fights in the dungeons.

Recently playing through SMT V really helped bring home the importance of status buffs in these games. I think that lack of understanding is what made me not stick with Persona 4 when I first played it years ago.

You really can line up some fantastically put together attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Still tipping away at Chrono Trigger. Another side quest where fire resist seems to be required so I had to Google where to get some more of that. First time I've had to look anything up!

Also playing Metroid Prime 2. Not as nice as the first one structurally, but great atmosphere and very playable.

• Advertisement

I actually find a lot of even the faq writers for smt games don't understand how the games work and I'm usually quite comfortable going through the games naturally levelling up and not grinding to the levels they suggest. Saying that, I'd rarely skip fights in the dungeons unless I was very low on mp but knew the next checkpoint was around the corner.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, you 100% don't need to be on the levels folks are suggesting. They're all talking about being on the same level as the bosses, the game would be far too easy.

I'd basically gotten myself into a bit of a hole as I hadn't been watching the weather forecast and the fog was coming the next day. I hadn't really gone near a dungeon in ages and then suddenly had to do the whole thing start to finish in one go, at a very low level.

My original plan was to try to skip as many battles as I could in the dungeon to save on MP and then hit the boss. This actually worked and I beat Shadow Rise - of course I was unaware at the time that there was a second, more powerful boss to come! Wiped out in one move.

Some game though! Have you played Persona 5? I've heard it's really great.

Master of the Universe

Any of you lads good at Qix by the way? My sister set a high score of 75,000 a couple of years ago and I haven't been able to beat it 😅 It's been taunting me ever since.

Been putting off looking up guides online as I don't want to be a dirty bit cheater.

Not played persona 5 depsite owning 4 copies of it 😬 I'll get around to it but I've heard it's much weaker than p3 and p4, the popularity is more to do it it being most people's first. Although that's what I've heard!

I heard from a friend of a friend that practicing on gals panic makes you better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Persona 5 is a strong candidate for the most stylish game ever made - the presentation alone makes it worth playing through. Every thing from loading screens to battle summaries leap off the screen.

But I’m a lot colder on it than Persona 4. It’s an objectively mechanically improved game in many respects, but there’s something about the characters and story that left me at a distance. Given you spend so much time with the story and characters, that’s a definite problem. It also felt that after being in production for so long it didn’t really advance the ideas of the series beyond style and some extra polish.

But it’s still a very good game, and as said impeccably presented. I also played the original release rather than Royal - I believe the latter does smooth out quite a few things, including a few of the pacing issues with the opening stretch of the game.

The folks at Champ Games, masters of making new Atari 2600 conversions of arcade classics, have recently released a 2600 port of Qix and, like all of their stuff, it is damn good.

You can order physical carts of their stuff from Atari Age or buy the digital copy direct from them, though it doesn't work on every emulator or flash cart, due to their programming magic.

I remember why I stopped playing Metroid Prime 2 way back when.

Boost Guardian. Talk about a difficulty spike. But this time I will persevere and prevail.

Playing Thief Deadly Shadows at the moment. Just like Deus Ex Invisible War it's heavily compromised compared to the original games due to having to work on a console but it's not as bad as Invisible War. The only thing that really suffers is the level design which is much smaller and less complex than the originals. At least a PC mod exists to stitch a lot of levels together. One other annoyance is that everyone knows that you should only play Thief games on the highest difficulty level. However the loot requirements for the highest level are a bit absurd. 90% of the loot in the level is too high and I usually end up with 75-85% of the loot at the end of a level and then have to hike around the level looking for loot you might have missed, and a lot of the times resorting to a walkthrough video to find it. I thing 75% was the expert requirements in the original.

Anyway playing this and Invisible War has really made me miss the 90s to early 2000s era of PC games where they had their own identity. Usually they were more complex games than their console counterparts but had a bit of jank as they pushed the tech a little too far. There's only the odd game that captures this like the Dishonored series.

Fired this save up at lunch and did it after a few attempts.

Tricky boss for sure but delighted I’m past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

"everyone knows that you should only play Thief games on the highest difficulty level" (can't partial quote with this new awesome boards:)

Well this is disappointing to know, just picked up the Thief bundle on Steam and this goes against my 'take it easy" policy where I now only play in Easy mode or Normal at a push cus I've no longer got the time/patience/skills/eye sight for anything else :(

• Advertisement

Honestly the games are perfectly manageable on the highest difficulty levels. It has a unique approach to difficulty, it doesn't make the games any tougher just adds extra objectives. Same enemies take the same damage and do the same damage with the same AI.

But trust me when I say to play on the highest difficulty, it makes the games so much better. On easy mode you might have to just collect one item and then leave the level. You'll miss all the secrets, can't appreciate the level design and cant get a sense for how well the levels are designed. On the highest difficulty you will have extra objectives to steal valuables, can't leave the level unless you hit a loot threshold and the highest difficulty also means you can't kill any human enemies (you can knock them out though with your blackjack club). As a result the game feels more like you are playing an actual thief sneaking around places and pilfering them for everything they are worth.

So in this case the highest difficulty doesn't really make the game harder (you should be avoiding all guards anyway as taking them on will leave you dead very quickly) but more so enhances the experience my forcing you to play the game properly and really enjoy the intricacies of it. Also it's a PC game so make judicious use of the quick load and save buttons.

Hope you get around to playing them, Thief 1 and 2 are two of my favourite games of all time.

Anyway take the advice from reddit:

You are basically missing out on half of the game not playing it on expert.

Master of the Universe

Playing a lot of arcade games at the moment, mainly Rastan Saga and The Last Blade the last few nights.

Got a lovely 1cc with Moriya in The Last Blade. Absolutely blitzed through the game, really gratifying. I recently stuck new cam locks on the control panel so you can really bash the hell out of the sticks without the panel flipping forward 😁

On the other hand, I absolutely suck at Rastan Saga. Played it a lot in a pub in Wicklow when I was a kid but I must have credit fed it as I can't seem to get anywhere on 1cc at the moment! It feels like it should be easy so I keep going back to it for another go and then failing miserably.

Started and finished The Firemen on the SNES. It's a great little game made by Human who did some of the wierd and wonder SNES games. The SNES got two firefighting based games, Ignition Factor and this. Both are good but I much prefer the Firemen. Ignition Factor never came to Europe but The Firemen never came to the US so I guess Europe wins at snes releases at least in firefighting based videogame.

Anyway the game has you hosing down fires with your AI controlled companion and rescuing people. The fire effects are excellent, I love how they burn up the floor underneath as they propagate. The game keeps introducing new hazards as it progresses and the bosses are a lot of fun. Highly recommend this one.

Funnily enough when I tried to play this game years ago I had to give up halfway through because there was a rain effect that no emulator could replicate at the halfway point. Great to see BSNES can accurately replicate it as it was just a black screen that rendered the game unplayable.

I imagine most modern/actively developed snes emulators are past things like this now, outside of obscure tech demos etc. Bsnes was probably the first you could essentially call 'perfect'.

Re the game itself, agreed, it's a very fun little game.

Decided to take on Battletoads and regretting it. Turbo Tunnel still takes a lot of my lives and I died in the ice caverns. I usually at least make it to the snakes.

Master of the Universe

I only played Battletoads for the first time there last week. Was looking for some NES games to play and realised I'd never actually given it a go.

It's actually really quite visually impressive. The mech boss at the end of level 1 where it changes to the bosses POV and you're trying to dodge his crosshair / throw projectiles back towards the screen is very cool and a bit 4th wall breaking - interesting to see in an 8 bit game.

I then stumbled across Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti. Thought it was just a Famicom Splatterhouse port but it's actually a Splatterhouse parody game - another surprisingly well put together one that really pushes what the Famicom can do.

As a side point, I am still seriously impressed with the Retrotink 5X. Famicom games look absolutely gorgeous running through it.

Battletoads is a really nice playing game that's hampered by them making it much too hard to play. But thinking back, if I had gotten Battletoads when it was new I'd have devoured it and beaten it so it's made for it's time.

Wanpaku Graffiti is a blast. We need more japanese style parody games.

While messing about with the Wii U last month, I noticed my one and only play through of Earthbound, was in oct/nov 2013. Hard to believe that was a decade ago, I can still remember so much about it, the music too. I think a 10 year anniversary playthrough of it this winter is on the cards.

Master of the Universe

Have you played the Mother 3 GBA fan translation actually? Do give it a go at some point if you haven't, it's absolutely brilliant. As good as Earthbound.

• Advertisement

As good as Mother 3 ended up being, still morbidly curious how Earthbound 64 would’ve turned out given what Itoi’s said about its tone.

I’m playing Pokemon Yellow on the 3DS. These Gen 1 Pokemon games are broken beyond belief. It’s got that ‘about to collapse under its own ambition’ vibe.

Master of the Universe

100% re Earthbound 64. Imagine a world now where folks spoke about Earthbound 64 in the same way they speak about OOT. Could very much have been the case if it had been released.

Master of the Universe

It's one of those games that I completely forget about, someone mentions Earthbound and then it pops back into my head.

A crime that it hasn't seen an official release in English.

Those old pokemon games always seemed really badly programmed. The first game was obviously made by a tiny team that was developing an overly ambitious game, it's like the engine is held together by programmer optimism alone. Gen 2 is pretty much asking the GB hardware to do way too much.

Love the story of Iwata coming in at the 11th hour from nowhere to get the Gen 2 games out the door. Game Freak staffers still talk about him like he performed a miracle. He generally never gets his dues when it comes to getting Pokémon off the ground.

• Advertisement

**** Battletoads has so much bullshit. Finally got past the poxy snakes with 1 life left then found out the next stage is the turbo tunnel on steroids. So much rote learning.

So I can now do the two turbo tunnels pretty handily but I get to the next stage after the fire level with so few lives that I die before I get anywhere in it. There's two sections that are giving me awful grief.

The first is the ice level. This is a pretty handy stage and I have it fairly down but near the end there is one jump that requires you to jump at the end of a slope at the very last second and it keeps catching me off. It's absolutely infuriating. The next area is the poxy snakes. I can beat this but theres so much waiting around on the snakes that it's easy to lose concentration and miss an easy jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Shadow dancer for the arcade, at first I thought it was a breeze, then I realised its actually pretty tough. Timing the magic attacks is key to get out of tough spots, those #$#@$$ ninjas that can block your attacks drive you mad. Can get to level 2-3 so far before rage quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Shadow Dancer beaten. Frustrating later levels, and the last boss I must have tried 20+ times to beat without even knowing how to damage her. Gave in and had to look at a video. Yeah, I wouldn't say this was beaten much back when it was released.

I'll go on to shinobi next, which I remember being better, but I'll see.

The one shinobi game I never played and was supposed to be very good was the version on ps2. Will have to try that some time.

Hard to beat the cutscenes on Saturn's shinobi X though

But probably the best of the franchise I've played is revenge of shinobi on the good old megadrive.

Another series left to rot by sega!

The PS2 shinobi game is pretty good, just felt a bit outdated next to Devil May Cry. It's balls hard though and has a nasty camera. It got a sequel called Nightshade.

The 3DS game often gets ignored but it's actually a lot of fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement