Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual sub 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The annual subs are surprisingly reasonable in some of the big name clubs. Granted you have to pay an decent chunk of cash to get in but the likes of Tralee and Ballybunion's annual sub was around 400-500 up until a few years ago anyway iirc.

Think the entrance fee was approx 7-10k. Spread over 10 years it's great value and a steal if you're there longer imo.

AFAIK the likes of Co. Sligo has a very reasonable annual sub as well. Not sure what the entrance fee is for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

I still think we're on a temporary high in membership (and golf interest) due to COVID. Golf had been declining in popularity for years and clubs doing okay due to the economy, but at high risk of being in trouble in the case of a downturn. The reasons for the declining playing numbers haven't gone away - cost and lack of time being the biggest ones. I'd say the clubs are probably right to make hay while the sun shines, but I reckon people will gradually drift away from the game now that they can do things again and spend their money on other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

The membership money is probably a drop in the ocean compared to what they make from green fees. I'm assuming they operate on a locals only policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yea that seams fair enough. I'd guess the likes of Tralee and Bally B are member owned essentially and subs kept as low as possible. Think Waterville is owned by a few Americans and the "Club" is really just a tenant on the course with playing rights. Just look at the price increase in Portmarnock Links discussed here. Always a risk a rich owner might not want the locals euro anymore. Hear this is happing down Limerick way.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭mrskinner

Slievenamon GC 5 day membership €275!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭doublecross

I was there last year and chatted to them about membership out of curiosity. It's a long waiting list. Got the impression you'll be waiting for people to die before getting in.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah i know a few committe members, so i figure i'll be able to get in that way.

The Healy-Rae way! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

1450 including insurance and Golf Ireland levy. Same as last year but I reckon there will have to be an increase next year. Members' club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thought I'd ask here rather than start a new thread.

The earliest I will be able to look at taking up membership of a local club will be 1 June. Do clubs in general pro rata the annual sub or would they still expect you to pay the full annual sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Will vary from club to club. A lot of clubs, I'm the 2nd half of the year are more likely to offer a deal for 15-18 months for the price of 12. Some clubs also run their year outside of a calendar 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thanks. I've seen clubs throw in the winter months for the following year.

If it's a case of full fee for June onwards I might just pay and play a bit and wait for next year.

I've a couple of club options in mind, so probably best to ask them their policy

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭swededmonkey

You'll probably find most clubs will be amenable to getting in a few extra quid. While they may not specifically advertise it, a quick call into the office should see you right. The only challenge I would expect is if the club has a joining fee, otherwise, you should get sorted ok

Advertisement