Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Could be the space beyond that, and generally the cables on the Chademo and CCS plugs are so short they often only reach one side

For example an ID.4 wouldn't be able to charge from the right hand space when looking at the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's one of the stupidest places I've ever seen a charger. Most nights it's ICE'd and I asked them a year ago when they would be painting the ground green to show it's for EV use only. They said it would be done next week. Looks like it's still not done.

If they moved that charger a further 200 metres down the quays there is no parking there. Just leave it there and it becomes an EV area which wouldn't be used by other vehicles.

If you want expert guidance on how to make a complete balls of your charging network, this is one hell of a starting point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

This particular location wasn't chosen by eCars, it was part of the Smart Docklands project, they were meant to deliver some AC chargers but left them covered in bin bags for a very long time. I'd guess based on their experience of running this site they probably won't want to install any similar of their own.

Still a stupid place to locate them.

A bit of joined up thinking wouldn't have gone amiss. Literally 200 metres further down is double yellow lines. Just use an area there with 2 chargers and paint the spaces green. Would be a stand alone location without the risk of being ICE'd.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you want expert guidance on how to make a complete balls of your charging network, this is one hell of a starting point.

... install and operate chargers on behalf of someone else who is paying, it's the same feedback that comes from the AC points at Tesco's. Hopefully they get updated to units like the ones at the quays at some point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

By the time it happens other will have wireless charging installed :) and they will complain about how fast the tech changes and how difficult is to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

New to public charging and probably answered a hundred times already but went to a 50kW eCars unit today. Leaf there already charging. Plugged in mine to CCS, said output is already occupied. Waited for leaf to finish before I could charge.

Is it correct CCS & Chademo can't be used at same time? Is it first come that gets it or does one get priority? Is there an etiquette to be observed in this situation?

In general the 50kW units can charge one car on DC (CCS or Chademo) and one car in AC at a time

However they're limited to 50kW, so plugging into AC will slow down the other car and is probably counterproductive

In fact the AC is being disabled on many 50kW chargers now

It's basically first come first served, you have to wait for the other car to finish or hunt for a different charger. You can politely ask the person how long they'll be and decide what to do then.

You can ask to skip if you want, but it's not likely many people would say yes unless you can convince them you're in some dire situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

What make , model is that car? I presume, charging port is drivers side rear, if its an EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

ID4, charging point is the rear @ driver side

Did you mean the white ID.4, the black ID.4 or what looks like a silver ID.4 to the left? 😉

Charge port on drivers side, I'm guessing the cable didn't reach.

Still a bit inconsiderate, they could have reversed into the other space and used that charger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

As a BMW driver, I should have been more precise, its the white one, there's nothing else that I can see wrong, my apologies.

The other charger I presume is faster again so therefore cost more>?

There is a few more pictures in the link mfc posted.

The range rover has 13kwh from a 2kw ac, the ID3 is not plugged in,

This guy I presume used the wrong cable, causing others to believe they have a Beemer also.

Fun times to be had while charging.

I'm guessing that was Mayfield so in theory all the chargers should be the same power and price

There was something about the cables on some units being thinner and could only support 75kW or something like that

And apparently the big Delta unit is more reliable than the slimmer ones (ABB I think?)

It's also quite possible the driver is just really bad at parking 😂

That picture of the Range Rover and ID.3 is just utterly hilarious. It's exactly why you shouldn't have AC on the DC chargers and there should never be a perceived advantage to the charging spaces.

I can't understand how the clamping companies aren't having a field day with the abuse of EV charging. They just need to park nearby and they'd probably get 6 cars a day

EDIT: Also that BMW driver managed to park within the lines. It probably took them so much mental effort not to just park across both spaces that they couldn't tell which cable was which afterwards 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Megastreisand

Or maybe the BMW driver tried the cable nearest the vehicle first only to find it wouldn't charge despite multiple attempts and then it wouldn't release and finally after 10 minutes he managed to disconnect it and then he tried the other cable and maybe he assumed that if the far cable could reach his vehicle then the unused but useless cable could reach over to the vacant charging space - not that it would have done anyone much good.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally fees for NI ecars!!

26th April. A 25p fee on all charges too, in addition to the units used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭wassie

Just received email from ESB ecars formally advising of pay for use in NI. Bit of a sting in the tail in the last few paragraphs...

ESB introduces pay for use in Northern Ireland to support EV network expansion

• Pay for use to be introduced for the ESB public EV charging network in Northern Ireland from 26th April 2023
    • Drivers based in Northern Ireland who have previously not signed up can do so by clicking here.
    • Existing drivers who registered with a UK address will have their accounts converted from euro to sterling on 20th April 2023 
    • Charge seamlessly across the island of Ireland using an ESB charge point access card or the ecar connect mobile app, and pay via a single account 
    • Conveniently manage and track your EV charging from your ESB account (Driver website Portal or ecar connect app)
    • ESB is undertaking necessary EV network upgrade work in Northern Ireland as part of a £10m investment programme

21st March

Dear EV Driver,

Together with every EV driver, ESB is powering Northern Ireland towards a cleaner, net zero future. To support more EVs on our roads, we’re investing in and making necessary upgrades to the ESB public charging network across Northern Ireland. As part of this process, we’re introducing pay for use from 26th April 2023.

Two price plans

There will be two price plans available - Pay As You Go and Membership, the latter designed for drivers who typically use the network more than five times per month.

A nominal connection fee of 25p will also be applied for all charging transactions. For instance, if a customer charges up by £10 worth of electricity, the bill will come to £10.25. Local parking fees may also apply. Please refer to local signage at each charger for parking information.

To reduce queuing and to ensure chargers are more readily available for all users, an overstay fee of £8 will apply for charging sessions longer than 45 minutes when using rapid (including AC43 connectors) or high power chargers. The overstay fee will also apply for charging sessions longer than 10 hours on 22kW fast chargers and 22kW sockets on rapid chargers.

Fleet plans will be launched for Northern Ireland fleet customers in the coming months and contactless payment will be made available on all new rapid and high power chargers (>=150kW). A 1p/kWh supplement will apply to all contactless transactions when it is rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Surprised about the access fee, we can therefore expect to see this in the south soon too I'd say

Otherwise, good news, pricing broadly in line with expectation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Very different to their pricing structure on the mainland, 74p/kWh for speeds of 50kW 😯😯

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bit more than inconsiderate, on the (reasonable) assumption the owner is able bodied they are blocking a disabled space which is illegal in a publically accessible parking spot IIFC

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Is the right hand one the disabled bay? I didn't spot any markings on the other one but I'll take your word for it

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Anyone else notice the filter in the ecars app only shows CCS and type 2. No CHAdeMO or AC43

You can see from the photo the front of the ID4 is blocking the disabled bay

Are you talking about the white ID.4 in the picture from Mayfield? I don't think any of them are marked as disabled bays.

I can't see any disabled markings on the space, I thought Mayfield was just non disabled charging bays?

To be clear, I'm not defending them blocking the space, still a dick move

Just don't want to be falsely accusing them of other misdemeanors 😉

My mistake, I mistook the E sign as a disabled sign

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Yeah, I reported the lack of chademo in the support section of the app. Haven't heard anything back about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

As part of a £10m investment, £3.27m of which is from the Levelling up Fund, ESB is replacing all existing fast (22kW) and rapid (50kW) EV chargers and will also introduce high power charging across Northern Ireland. Drivers who have not yet signed up to use our network, can do so by visiting www.esb.ie/ecars/NI before pay for use is introduced on 26th April.

From.their Facebook page, Ni only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Whats the best ESB price paln to use? Im on PAYG as I still have the fuel car for the really long journeys (ridiculous that this is cheaper than if using the network but hey). So lets say I do 1 longish journey every 3 weeks where i need to use the network to charge the car. Rest of the time using the house charger. 2023 Leaf 62V

Any good mathematicians?

• Advertisement

I'm guessing you're DC charging? The ESB paid plan breaks even after about 920kWh

If you're getting around 17kWh/100km then you need to drive ~5400km for it to break even

How is it cheaper to take the petrol car exactly? If you drive 600km then the Leaf should work out to about €43 in charging (assuming 50% charged at home and the rest from Ecars) and the petrol car would be about €53 if you're getting 5.5l/100km

Advertisement