Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The distance debate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

My thoughts on this are that amateurs and pros do not play the same game already so limiting pros shouldn't make a difference. If you think your irons, driver, ball and whatever else you can name are the same as Rahms, Rorys or JTs then you are mistaken. Callaway make several 'tour only' driver heads that amateurs cannot buy. JTs irons are one of a kind bespoke titleist MBs, Rorys the same except TM. Wedges are usually handmade for pros and a significant number of pros use golf balls that aren't availabe to the public. Left Dash ProV1s were a popular tour ball that only recently became available to amateurs but there are others that are still tour only. As well as that, Rory uses a 2019 TP5, I believe Spieth is using a 2019 ProV1 and loads of other tour pros use previous versions of a ball that aren't available to the general public. The driver heads are also 'hot', as in they are as close to the CT limit as possible. Amateurs do not get this option. Could go on here but I think the point is clear enough.

To add to that, I get that its nice to compare your round to a pros at the same venue but again you might as well compare a Polo to a Ferrari. You're not playing off the tips and the setup is nowhere near what it would be for a tour event so the idea that you can't compare yourself to pros is correct, but it was fantasy anyway so this doesn't change anything IMO. If you are that concerned about testing yourself against the pros you will be able to buy these pro balls and have at it. Somehow I suspect the amount of players beyond elite amateurs taking up that option will be very low.

Its already proven that tightening fairways and adding rough doesn't overcome the advantage that distance gives you so I don't get why that is being suggested as an alternative. We've heard that for years and its made no difference when courses have attempted it and there is data to support that with SG. Worth keeping in mind that sustainability is a big part of this too. Courses cannot just continue to expand in size and in maintenance costs because manufacturers have developed some new tech.

For anyone against this change i'd like to ask how far is too far? Is 8000 yards too long? What about 10,000? If we continue to allow distance to grow we'll end up with all of the classic courses being obsolete and stuck with horrific PGA only courses purpose built to cater to the pro game. I'd be shocked if anyone wants that for the game. Would love to hear some other suggestions too from those against this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,910 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great Post @Ivefoundgod

An interesting part of the discussion on NLU ...was, that in a world where people like to ignore there is a problem or find different facts...the governing bodies are saying...we need to at least hold where we are and stop expanding courses.

It is fairly responsible of them....if it has been too slow , to even get to this point....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Exactly so many people are stuck in their own bubble and not just when it comes to golf.

At my course maybe 7 of the 14 par 4s are driveable off the regular white tees, with the problem a lot worse in winter. Have played with guys who can hit the middle of our 310/320 signature hole with a 3 wood! And they're not leaving to play the PGA Tour any day soon!

Also played with a guy of 12/15ish who hit it to the fringe on a 375 yard par 4 scaring the hell out of the group ahead. Now he was mostly going around just trying to bash the ball as hard as he can, if that's his idea of golf maybe he gives it up of the ball gets rolled back. But there's always long drive and the range if you just want to bash it.

People saying it doesn't need to change would they advocate no restrictions on ball speeds and equipment tolerances?! Because they have always existed, we're just argued over where they should be set and what their objective should be. Protecting the massive investment we've already made on courses alongside ecological concerns especially ongoing water shortages worldwide should be our priority.

Golf as we know and always loved needs protecting right now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

These guys aren't scratch golfers though, they aren't looking to shoot par anywhere

the cut line at the open was even or +1, after 2 days, in good conditions, half a field made of the best golfers in the world managed to basically average 1 over par in good conditions, obviously playing a longer course than the average punter

the top .001% of golfers

hardly mincemeat

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

7 par 4s around 300 yards is a very short course roll back or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Agree wholeheartedly @Ivefoundgod - the idea that we play the same courses/balls/clubs as the pros...

Course: If my home club put even 2 pins where the R&A had to hide the pins in St Andrews last year to protect the open as best they could, with a green speed of anything resembling a tour STIMP - there would be carnage. I still have a memory of a Captains prize from ~ 20 years ago where the greens were fast (amateur fast not pro fast) and on one "semi-drivable" par 4 the pin was put in what turned out to be a questionable spot - oh my word utter bedlam - Every week on the PGA tour I see pins sitting in similar/worse positions (Makes me realize how good these guys are)

Balls: not quite so much but definitely there are pros using balls we amateurs either cannot get or are no longer manufactured for mass marketing

Clubs: 100% - look the gap is probably closer now with more people getting better club fittings etc - but even look at some Taylor made youTube videos where they outline the injection of liquid weights into the head specific for tour pros... Just as a single example. never mind the custom irons etc

I did listen to NLU podcast & I thought Billy Horschel made some great points on the size of the driver sweet spot being too big - I agree for the Pros it should be more punishing for off center hits. I also struggled to get my head around how he spoke for a few minutes making his point on not rolling back the ball but then 100% agreed with the counter points made.

Do I 100% think rolling back the ball is the solution - no. Nor or is it the only solution, I think the R&A and USGA absolutely dropped the ball by not implementing ball/club/shaft restrictions almost 20 years ago. But do I think that no matter what they do the average distance will continue to increase year on year - yes so if the rule makers are doing as they say picturing the golf world 15 - 20 years from now then they are trying to combat the PGA tour average being 315-320 yards.

Also if someone really cares that much about bifurcation next time they're playing TPC sawgrass or any other tour venue feel free to go to the back tees and I'm sure the pro-shop will be doing special offers on "pro" balls.

I do understand the difficulty between law changes for 1 group v law changes for everyone. If we all lost a bit of distance would that make golf harder - yes, do I want my golf to be harder - absolutely not. But what then is the solution to the problem the R&A and USGA have outlined in their White papers - in top/high level golf the ball (through a mix of reasons ball/clubs/shafts/S&C etc) goes too far. Again the Governing bodies as far as I can tell aren't driven by some hidden agenda - it is their job to make to rules for the long term benefit of golf.

but they did implement ball and clubs restrictions 20 years ago

I don't know when the current rules were implemented but they were not roll back rules - that was an attempt to keep the status quo or restrict the future development if memory serves me right or even put some "future limits" as up until that golf clubs were not reguarly hitting 460cc but since then with the advances in metals & carbon/titanium etc.

To quote golf digest:

"The ruling bodies have been on record that distance was a problem since a famous Joint Statement of Principles in May 2002. In the 20 years since, the average driving distance on the PGA Tour has increased from 279.5 yards to 299.6 yards."

From Listening to Mike Whan of the USGA he pictures the Governing bodies will need to visit this issue every 15-20 years no matter what they do...

no they were roll back rules, because some clubs became illegal after it for being too hot

the game of golf has changed, you have the likes of nick faldo at 6 foot 4 driving the ball 250 yards, right, others were hitting it further, but yet he won

its the players and the tech/analysis around the game that has brought it on, the number of fat players on tour has diminished

i think he is wrong, when you can measure and get the ball to perfect launch conditions, and the clubs and balls are limited, the only other place left is speed and for all the talk of bryson what has he won, one US open

i wonder what would have happened with the oh so tough to hit stealth 1? or sim2 or sim, or m5 or m3 or m1....

• Advertisement

what score do you think he should have shot? He had an all time amazing putting performance and a bit of luck to get to that score

this is a marketing video from a company paying these guys to play their clubs....... every club is amazing

did it show how far he would have hit when out of the sweet spot? no, is it further yes

can he hit the ball a long way, yes

what would be the upside also? it doesn't really matter either way

an all time putting performance, the amount of long putts he holed was off the charts, literally

conditions were benign, yet the scoring was +1 one over par

-20 was the record at st andrews, Stenson also hit -20 with an all time performance to beat Phil at Troon

the point of the video was to sell clubs, that's it

were taylormade telling you the stealth one was unforgiving last year? no of course not

i can assure you not hitting the middle is still penalising, despite what taylormade say

you just arent hitting it far enough outside the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭Russman

True, but 3rd at Troon was 14 shots back of 1st. Obviously one week on a links course doesn't really prove anything but I think more of the field made St Andrews a very timid test than you could reasonably expect in a Major.

I don't think the debate is necessarily about scoring though, its more about protecting courses in the future. Does anyone really think its a par 5 if half the field in an event are hitting a mid/sort iron in for their 2nd shot ? The trouble/obstacles designed into courses has in many case become redundant nowadays for the pros and indeed some amateurs.

If, and its a big if, it can be shown that the reduction in distance for slower swingers under the new rule, is less than for the fast guys, I suspect eventually the bifurcation will go away and we'll, over a few years, all be playing the "new" ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I really do think this would be of benefit to the amateur game too. There are far far too many people hitting it too far for regular member courses now. It's not just the scratch guys - the younger guys with decent handicaps, in particular those who played growing up can all carry the ball far further than people like them did 30 years ago. And the result is that courses play very differently to the way they were designed. Hazards drop out of play, dog legs start in the wrong place, very few par 5s are 3 shot par 5s, par 3s are now reachable with mid-high irons making the greens far easier to hold. So a lot of the defences of the courses are in play more for those hitting the ball shorter distances, typically the weaker golfers. This isn't actually the opposite of the way it should be - everyone wants hazards in play for them. But if you could have more weighted towards one set of golfers it would be towards the better guys. And then simply on the length of courses - what you have now are courses that are too long for some people and too short for others. The young guy who came through the junior ranks and would have been hitting it 240 yards 30 years ago might be hitting it 270 now. And if he's within 230 yards of the green he might be happy enough that he'll be able to carry it there instead of 200 yards back then. Whereas the older golfer who might have been hitting it 200 yards 30 years ago could be at 215 now and have made similarly smaller gains for their approach too. The redesigns needed for courses for the longer and shorter hitters are too different to be practicable.

If you could narrow the dispersion of distances (by reducing everyone's distances by a percentage) there would be less need for course redesign and it would be easier (and cheaper) to do.

the cut in 2015 was at exactly the same spot +1 so scoring is important, 2010 it was +2 with much worse conditions, especially on thursday and friday

how many people do you think are reaching par 5s in 2 shots?

This may be a bubble, but one of our par 5 is reachable, the other not so much, but having played with in excess of maybe 200 different people, 1 has hit the green in 2 circa 480-500 yards tad uphill

the odd person has made the distance, maybe 3-4

I've met many players who think that's how far they hit it

even on the shorter one, the number who reach are tiny

But I don't think (open to correction) any of the bodies have suggested scoring is out of control, from what I've read/seen its the way the courses are now being played is the issue. Like, say drive 320 into the rough, gouge a wedge to 30 feet, two putts, par Vs maybe drive 290 to the fairway, a good 7 iron to the green, two putts, par. The difference could even be much more if the 15-20yd roll back meant a corner of a dogleg now couldn't be carried and the player had to just play up to the corner.

• Advertisement

the general issue is bomb and gouge merchants making mincemeat out of course

if thats not about scoring then what is it?

environmentally, golf could do a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

My home course the par 5s range from 480 to 510 yards off the whites. If I hit a reasonable drive, all of them all reachable in 2. The 510 yards one might require a decent 3 wood, but I have often had a 4i into it also. The other 3, if my drive is decent I'm hitting iron in. It's generally the same for most of the lads I play with - single figures in their 30s/40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

I don't see the issue with rolling back the ball. If they were allowed, manufacturers could create a balls and clubs that would go a lot further - so if you have an issue with rolling back the ball, would you be happy to let the manufacturers at it and have unregulated equipment? We're already using "throttled" equipment, so what difference does it make bringing in a little bit more.

I'd have thought that loads would be making the par 5s in two. I'd be longer than average, but not exceptionally long and when I go to play a new course I expect the par 5s to be reachable in two if I hit a decent drive, probably with an iron (I'm ignoring wind). I don't understand how a slightly uphill 480-500 yard par 5 is borderline unreachable. Unless there are trees blocking lines, or water stopping you taking out longer clubs? I'm guessing it's dead straight so you can't cut any corners? Anyway, actually giving yourself an eagle putt is fairly rare still. You probably need two very good shots in a row for it. But if you can leave yourself greenside in two it's a massive difference compared to leaving yourself a 100m wedge in for your 3rd. So if you're just looking at people who kept it on the green in two, you're missing a lot of the point.

The main problem in my view at club level is the difference between how long the longer guys hit it compared to the shorter. When I was a member in Tramore, a lot of the older members wouldn't play in comps from the blue tees. So even the captains prize was played from the white tees. The boards society has a spread of handicaps not too different to a club and the outings are played from the forward tees (and it's the right call). In particular on unfamiliar courses the whites would be too long for a lot of people. The lads I play with most are higher handicaps so we play off the green tees too whenever we go anywhere. As far as I can see we're lengthening the courses and making the full courses unplayable for a huge percentage of golfers, so then we play the majority of our golf from more manageable tees. But that turns golf courses into drive and wedge courses for lots of golfers and that's not as much fun as using all the clubs in your bag.

If we could reduce everyone's distances by 10% say, you'd bring people that little bit closer together. And if it means that courses have 18 less tee boxes to maintain then happy days.

Look for me it is really tricky. But I think Chris Solomen (Soly) on NoLayingUp does pose an interesting question/hypothetical when considering this whole debate.

As a baseline for the pro's: Is a 400y drive as a standard too far? I think most people will say yes. Is a 200y drive as a standard too short? Again I think most people will again say yes. So in essence we are in agreement there is a hypothetical window that a drive should travel. What the R&A and USGA are doing is trying to define that window. And bring it back from where it is heading.

For me I also see the differing changes and I can see some parallels to F1. They bring out a set of rules - and these drivers/engineers/car manufacturers obey those rules but every year come up with new and clever ideas/designs/tactics to allow the cars continually get faster while obeying the rules. The last equipment rule change was (to my untrained eye) very focused on the "bounce" of the clubface & gave a bit of leeway in the driver headsize etc. In the subsequent years the players/ball/clubs/shafts have all been working to push the physical/mental/technology boundaries to get more length & they will continue to do so

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Quahog217

A lot of people put a lot of work in the gym and do a lot speed training to aide their golf. And a lot take lessons on trackman to improve their delivery etc and end up putting serious time and money in it. Why should these people be punished? Its not like they are cheating, they are working harder than the majority so you could argue they deserve the advantage of the extra yardage. I'm not one of these people by the way, I wish I was but I just don't have the time at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Same where I play, two par 5s (par 70) and most younger single digit players are typically going for it in 2 if any sort of decent drive. Depending on the tees it can be anything from a 3 wood to a 5i. I have seen one guy hitting an 8i into one of them, admittedly after a massively wind assisted drive but there are some very long amateurs out there these days. Obviously depends on who you are playing with, i've also played with people who are taking 3 good shots to get anywhere near those same greens, even hitting driver, 3 wood, 3 wood in one case. Older players who have lost their distance but still have their accuracy suffer most from the longer tees in my experience. Some real life data here that makes for interesting reading https://mygolfspy.com/arccos-2021-distance-report/ Its pretty clear that many golfers are playing off tees that are too long for them but i'm not sure what the solution is for that. The USGA tried a 'tee it forward' campaign and it flopped, i'd expect the same reaction here to be honest.

They'll still be hitting it further though, no ?

Who's punishing them? They'll still have the distance advantage. And I might not be at the top end of hitters, but I am talking about myself here. I wanti to see a row back in distance because I want to hit more of the clubs in my bag. God knows I paid enough for them. And I don't want to do it by choosing to handicap myself by not hitting the most suitable club from each tee.

• Advertisement

That's a really interesting survey. Even though I've no issue with rolling back the ball but I'm against bifurcation, that survey kind of makes the case for bifurcation even stronger. It seems clear that it a small percentage of elite players that are making classic courses obsolete. I think it was Denis Pugh when he was on Sky that used to always say that you had to be around 110/111mph or above with the driver to get the "real" benefit of the modern ball. If that's actually true, then its clear the average Joe isn't hitting it too far. Whether the manufacturers can make a ball where the "loss" isn't too great at slower speeds is the big question for me tbh.

Advertisement