Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lavender plant. Is it still alive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I would give it another few weeks but think you should be seeing fresh green growth at the growing tips at this stage. I'd say it's dead though, probably from poor drainage maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I lost 3 large ones that were in a large tub that I figured got too much water with lack of drainage during winter this year. Gave them a gentle tug over the weekend and they came straight out of the soil as the roots had rotted and vanished. Nothing but dead wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that is gone, unfortunately. I suspect the ground there is too rich and not free-draining enough for lavender.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Thanks for the comment. I had a lavender plant in the same spot that lived for about 8-9 years (can't remember) and from what I recall looked dead as it would over the winter months but then come back to life. Not as dead looking as this one though 😟

I dug it up and it looks fairly dead. Sad really because I only planted it last Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,432 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think lavender can be a bit hit and miss, if it survives the first year or so it can go on a good while, sometimes just expires in the first year. I put in two last year, bought together, planted close to each other. One is fine, the other one flowered nicely over the summer then died.

Thanks everyone. I'll use the space after removing the lavender for begonia plants. I have tubers to plant once the soil heats up.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

I had a spot where lavender kept dying probably due to poor drainage and put in some purple salvia instead which is thriving, attracts a lot of bees.

Advertisement