Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Ferguson grimacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Doherty is so poor, should not be Captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭athlone99

Doherty very sloppy, based on 55 mins so far you couldnt chance him against Mbappe, he will eat him alive. Such basic mistakes in possession in his own half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Nah, his shape diving for that is all wrong. He’s getting a move in the summer at last. Should’ve went a year or two ago. Has wasted his time recently at Liverpool.

• Advertisement

We need a few changes. Getting a bit stale now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,080 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, as I said he wasn't great for it - but as it was a screamer into the top corner it doesn't really make any difference. He could've had the loviest diving shape we've ever seen and that one would still have flown past him.

Should've gone on loan last summer - the year before was absolutely fantastic for him winning the League Cup, and is entirely what is going to get him a decent move. Had he gone before that cup winning season, he'd have ended up in League 1 or bottom half championship most likely.

Think Brown is the best bet at rwb Monday night.

Subs inject a bit of pace and bang goal

Good man Ogbene! Fella always shows unreal strikers instincts for us!

Also shows us exactly what Johnston brings, which no-one else in the squad has since Connolly's game fell apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Decent first touch.........

• Advertisement

Instant impact from Johnston and Ogbene there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We are developing a Southgate style problem. We have some good young attackers but if we let them loose our shte defense will leak goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,620 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Great intervention from Mikey Johnston on his appearance there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Is he really decent creatively though?

He can't cross.

He struggles to see or execute a pass longer than 10 yards.

A few times he'd have a 5 minute spell in a game where he looks a threat with his dribbling, but outside of that, he never goes past anyone.

His outstanding attribute is his physicality and engine, and 30 years old, he ain't gonna have them forever.

I'd say generally speaking, for a team that have played 532 / 352 with wingbacks for 2+ years, we're actually quite weak in the wingback area. Doherty ain't great as above. Coleman's not really got the legs anymore. Christie's average enough. Stevens is always injured and is 32. O'Dowda and McClean are converted wingers and certainly the latter of those two has limitations. Manning doesn't get picked.

Poor old Festy Ebosele is going to have the weight of a nation on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Would you take off Ferguson if he's limping around the place...

Glad to see Browne over RWB now... feels like maybe the best option against France there I think. We know Doherty's issues defending, and Mbappe would absolute roast Coleman's increasing lack of pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

One the lads said the same before the first goal was even conceded. Browne to RWB and a midfield trio of Cullen, Molumby, and Smallbone.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ebosele apparently has a brutal attitude, so it could be a while before he see him at all.

I'm convinced outside of being a physical freak that he's not a good footballer, also.

I have a feeling that back 5 right now might be the 5 that starts on Monday

Yeah, that'd be something like my preference alright... though maybe with Knight in for Smallbone. But either way, with the one replacing the other.

• Advertisement

Think Andy Lyons will be the next FB/WB that breaks into the senior set up. Sykes is also someone that would have possibly liked to see there tonight as he's played RB/RWB but he's a better RW though.

Surely Doherty cannot start against France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

Smallbone has done very well.

Just so, so slow now... couldn't see that ending well up against Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Thought smallbone was very good tonight.

He strengthens the spine of the team………. 🧥

Against Mbappe? If Kyle Walker couldnt keep up with him at the WC what hope has Coleman. Collins will play right of the 3 and i hope he puts Browne at RWB. Colemans legs are gone

Fabulous from Johnston!

Kenny called that one bang on it looks like anyway.

• Advertisement

Has Johnston got glue on his boots? Unreal ball control there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭Xander10

Mikey has the skills McClean lacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Did Guinness and TikTok get a 75% off discount for their on-field advertising tonight? 😉

And the fact your eyes need to work a little bit to see it nearly makes it more effective 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,880 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well deserved MOTM for smallbone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,202 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya thats true.

I never noticed during the rugby.

• Advertisement

One player I think has not put a foot wrong is Dara O'Shea. He's consistently one of our better players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Huge win...a big boost of confidence for Monday night....

A win is a win. Will do the young lads a lot of good. Cut out the silly mistakes and we might have the makings of a good enough team going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

James McClean, why ?'

3-2.

Again you'd like it to be more convincing, but I think that performance was much better than previously against weaker opposition. We created plenty of chances and there are plenty of positives.

Smallbone, Cullen and Molumby should be the 3 against France. O'Dowda should start at LWB. McClean will work his bollocks off but his cameo really flattered to deceive in terms of productivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

3-2 win, just about alright.

Some bright sparks Ferguson, Johnston, Smallbone….

But still much of the same negatives, Kenny’s teams just lose themselves in games, too often we go through long periods of no nothing and concede soft goals against really poor teams.

Kenny should be with the 21s not the senior team. He’s no idea of a settled 11, he’s giving loads of players caps but it just a scatter gun approach a bit like what the 21s should do

Its a win so the noise will be low but it’s only a matter of time now before we move on from SK

Aside from closing down (and thus creating space elsewhere), what can you actually do? Midfields will give players that space 30+ yards out every day of the week against the risk of space being created behind them if they decide to close it down.

It's honestly just rotten luck that bang average footballers find a worldie whenever they play against us.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Didn’t see the first 35 mins. Ireland still incapable of doing three good things in a row on what I did see. Even against lesser opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭billyhead

If the players make the individual mistakes that we made tonight, France will have a field day against us.

Given the absolute state of the aging team he took over, he's really having to look under rocks to find any emerging talent that can improve us though. It'd be one thing if there was a large core group of prime 27 year olds to build around, but there's not. There's the 30+ fellas from the old regime, and then the guys between around 18 and 23 who are mostly still developing. So it makes sense that we see a bit of change given the age group, depending on how their individual rates of development are going.

To be honest, I think he's actually done a great job in unearthing all the pieces to build a pretty decent young team. Like, I think we can pretty much all agree on what is our best 11 now, and probably on the 5 or 6 most likely impact players to change the game too.

Ah here, 'too many caps being handed out'.

You're either really ignorant or you're paying absolutely zero attention if you're throwing out bile like that.

He doesn't have a settled XI because there isn't an XI that is consistently performing. You're going to get that when you're trying to bring through an entire generation of players because previous regimes have been so negligent.

Nonsense, Kenny has actually had a fairly settled team last few months. Its probably a downside of his, been too loyal to certain players. Who got caps tonight to quote your scatter gun approach???

Im not sure where its coming from. I remember reading an article that Liverpool prefer clear long range shots and back their keeper to save the shot. Maybe Ireland are trying the same thing and been unlucky.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,221 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not a fan of this new jersey. Didn't even know we were changing brand. I always felt someone within Umbro didn't like the Republic of Ireland. The jersey designs were generally pretty bad. The last one was really nice with the camouflage design(I know that wasn't the meaning behind it) and I bought it for once. I don't think I like the new badge logo either.

This new one reminds me of an old Northern Ireland jersey from a distance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement