Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

Looks like Putin is going trough museums now to find tanks to send to Ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

was Vasquez part of Ripley's Heros ? (deleted Twitter so can't cross check)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Claimed to have served for 14 years in the US army ranked as a master chief, also fought in Desert Storm at 16,his service record says he only served 2/3 years . while he's been photographed in Ukraine he's claimed he was deployed with Various units and claiming their Victories despite never been there

Yes he's part of the team LinkedIn has his profile about his role

where does that leave them? they seemed legit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They've always looked dodgy to me

If you have a bunch of yanks spinning tall tales and looking for your money off the back of it, you can be fairly sure that it's a fiddle.

wasn't one of them an ex-politician from Norway or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

France trains Ukrainian pilots on Mirage 2000

combat aircraft. The training has been going on since February, - reported journalists of the publication Le Figaro

For more than a month and a half, about thirty Ukrainian pilots have been undergoing accelerated training at French fighter-bombers at the air bases of Mont-de-Marsan and Nancy.

That is some truly great news if true. I mentioned recently I was puzzled at the US getting $100m approved for pilot training 9 months ago if they had no intention of using it or allowing planes to be provided. I hope clandestine training has been happening there too.

spokesman of the Air Force of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, Yuriy Ignat, denied the information of French journalists that Ukrainian pilots are allegedly training in France on Mirage 2000 fighters. 

Ukrainian pilots are not training on french Mirage jets ,

Some Ukrainans are received survival related courses and other training but no pilots have been trained to fly Mirage 2000s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Reading through the comments there, It looks like the article in Le Figaro actually says that the training of the pilots hasn't started yet but that it's the training of aviation related military personell that has been happening, so groundcrew and technicians.

One commentator: I can tell you that the traffic is heavy. I live 5 minutes from the base. It flies day and night...

Le Figaro is the largest newspaper in France, so I'm optimistic there is a sound basis to the story, even if it was misquoted.

I wouldn't buy much into the comments either,

I'm sure it's a simple case of lost in translation, Ukrainians have received some training with some courses but not flying with any expected hand over of mirages

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

She has posted several times that she has nothing to do with them, nor has she met James. I think there was confusion over unit names, both Sandra’s and one of Ripley’s were called The Dirty Dozen.

He claimed he was involved in killing a Russian tank ,that the Dirty Dozen took out,and tired to take all the Glory despite never been there he also used the unit name for fund raising,

But it now seems Vasquez was convinced to leave ukraine and get help for personal issues

Think this was already posted previously.

But just for fun a British Challenger 2 to tank compared to a Soviet T55.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

He is allegedly back there after selling his house, and is trying to sell his pickup now to raise funds for fighting. Apparently there is no record of him being in the AFU even as a legion member. He has visited the front line, and I have seen a video of him there in a trench with a gun and a dead Russian close by, but then again anyone seems able to visit the front line.

I've seen some posing with locals after the Ukrainan military has cleared a town or village,

He even claimed to have held a Ukrainan soldiers hand while he died , only he wasn't near the particular location at the time,he's a tourist who's found a way to make money while making himself out to be a selfless hero ,

Walt would be good description

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

James Vasquez was already called out months ago by an American volunteer who was actually fighting in Ukraine.

I stopped following him after this video that came out last year of him getting beaten up after starting a fight on a subway. Dude is a total huckster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

If Ukrainian pilots are getting trained in Britain, France or the state's it would be in their interest not to confirm it until they are actually back in Ukraine with Western fighter jets. I hope it happens this summer and not next. It would be a real morale buster to the Russian's seeing Ukraine receive these jets as Russia wheels in T-64's and T-55's.

By all accounts it's not happening at all ,

At least the tanks are coming earlier than previously expected

Ukrainans received SERE and JTAC training,

JTAC is interesting as they will be essentially forward air controllers who are trained to call in air strikes and other air asset's in a battle space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

He's for sure no special forces / commando soldier anyway. The real deal would have handled that guy, and the 2nd one also, But these guys never draw attention to themselves by starting that kind of confrontation in a public place. In fact, unless its absolutely unavoidable, they'll walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Can we just draw a line under there has been no jets actually donated which are currently in use in Ukraine and pilots aren’t been trained on any useful fighter jets?

Well considering we've gone from A10 warthogs to F16s to F18s to Mirages there's still a few that could be mentioned before it finally dies ,

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

MIG 29's are jets that have been pledged to go to Ukraine from Poland and Slovakia and there are pilots in Ukraine already familiar with using them from their own air force jets. The article below mentions a matter of days to the first of these being delivered:

Western aircraft is what he's talking about,

Secret training of Ukrainan pilots in America to fly A10s , only they weren't training to fly them, a Ukrainian expat had flown a few lads to Vegas to fly A10s on gaming PCs he's probably making money off it ,

Then it was F16s then British typhoons ,then Australian F18s that were bought by a private company to be used in training aggressor squadrons for the US Airforce,then back to F16s and typhoons again,oh and Sanna Marin Prime Minister of Finland said they could have Finnish F18s ,20 min's later the Finnish Government said absolutely not ,

Despite no one actually offering any of the above aircraft to Ukraine it's still being mentioned regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It was said before but it may need saying again. What value could anyone out on a peace deal done with Putin? A proven liar and convicted of war crimes.

Sure the chiiiina peace deal makes zero mention of Russian withdrawing from Ukraine,

Seems a lot of people want peace on the terms Putin get any Ukrainian territories he wants and Ukraine can't ever join the EU or Nato or have a pro EU government ever even if 100% of the Ukrainan population want it .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Definitely not Orwell Road, but one of those native box-tickers that we all know and love, the ones that are all fans of Putin, and believe in every drop of Putin propaganda, and hate the US etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A made up word to try and discredit people from highlighting the hypocrisy of there own crimes.

It's "their" and one can point to US colonial nonsense, resource wars and yes war crimes and I would and have, while at the same time point to Russian colonial nonsense, resource wars and war crimes. Note too that Americans and American media has more than once criticised the same US wars of misadventure and exposed war crimes. In Mother Russia? Deafening silence... Spot the difference.

Russia didnt invade Afghanistan the state didnt exist back then

I've heard this utter bollocks from pro Russian types before and utter bollocks it remains. It's a strong and consistent trend with pro Russian spin and the Russian colonial and imperial mindset that "ah well they're not really states we invade", that and "they're ours, part of Russia anyway". They applied it to the Eastern Bloc, Georgia, Chechnya and now Ukraine. Read a bloody history book. Preferably one not written by the Russian government. Afghanistan was most certainly a nation state when the Soviet Union invaded it and just as much a nation state when the US coalition invaded it. If the US during the Vietnam war had claimed the state didn't exist then, they'd be talking the same bollocks you are. The thing is by their interference they most certainly made it a cohesive nation, just like Russia has done in Ukraine. By their actions they've guaranteed their once Ukrainian "brothers and sisters" want nothing to do with them for at least a generation.

That's another difference between the Yanks and the Russkis; in a lot of cases once enemies of America have re-established contact, diplomacy and trade with America, with Russia the vast majority of their ex colonies and ex enemies want nothing to do with them and want to keep them as much as possible at arms length. That says much. And for most of their modern history they made it extremely difficult for their own people to leave. That says more.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Some interesting aircraft movements.

Firstly, and usually, a Turkish Navy AT-76 Anti-Submarine Warfare asset is over the Black Sea, but now has its transponder off.

This aircraft, based on an ATR-72, was commissioned in May 2020. You can see the Magnetic Anomaly Dectector "stinger" protruding from the tail. P3 Orion aircraft have the same instrument.

We can also see a USAF Q4 drone keeping an eye on Moldova.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement