Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City - anti social behaviour etc... what's being done?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭notAMember

No need to diss it, it's not "really poor", it's a compromise where there are space and aesthetic constraints. Creating a Living city is a priority, so flexibility and innovation is encouraged.

But maybe instead of more "designers" like you suggest there could be a guideline / whitepaper of acceptable solutions from the council. Why does every single individual development need to spend this time over and over again here? Most of Cork is very similar. Provide a template of solutions that work, stop wasting people's time and money.

Designers, architects, QS's cost money. Believe me I've burnt enough of it without being able to find feasible solutions in Cork and simply took my development capital and moved it on to other countries. Do you guys not want housing or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

on this subject - was in a store in the city yday eve - stumbled upon a guy spraying deodorant all around him (and I assume inhaling).. then he ran off.. next thing I heard people "running".. turned out the same guy was caught steeling a tent (staff member saw him and ran after him)..

felt sorry for him - and the staff..

NB: I know that stuff like this has always been happening in cities.. so its not new - unlike some of the other stuff mentioned in my OP going on in Cork city centre these days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

by all conventions of design it is a poor solution, that is pretty straightforward. whether it was the only solution in this case i dont know but i somehow doubt it.

Flexibility is fine in general, not really when it comes to safety though

building regulations are sufficient as guidelines, combined with acceptable construction details any competent professional should be able to provide a sufficient solution.

what you are basically asking for is that the council provide a one-size fits all solution which is simply not feasible, especially when it comes to existing construction. nor is it in any way their remit

your last paragraph or so explains all of this though, you had to spend money and you didnt get the result you wanted. understandable that you might be annoyed, but it also doesnt mean that you have a better understanding of how things should work

and yes more housing is needed, but not sub-standard and potentially unsafe housing

Your strict attitude here is common in Ireland, and goes a good way to explaining why we have such an awful homeless problems, social problems and filthy streets, not just in Cork, but across the country. Maybe in a couple of generations this will soften.

Cork council has dreams that need London budgets, but operates on a shoestring. Shiny master plans with no practical way to ever get there. So the people who want to make a difference are stuck tinkering around the edges where they have to apply for a smattering of random grants to get anything at all (see Robot Trees)

Instead of encouraging and supporting companies and people with money spend it on improving the city, we tie their hands up in unbendable regulations, where it ends up costing over 1MM to create an apartment worth 250k.

No way to house people above shops, but here, have a parklet and be thankful for it.

One last thing, other countries are well aware of Ireland's unique regs walloping our housing at the moment, and are taking advantage of it, pulling investment in their direction. These are the sorts of ads served to me for example

• Advertisement

if youre blaming homelessness on fire regulations and the planning system then you really have no clue

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

There is an article in this mornings Irish Times (subscriber only so no link) which is so symptomatic of the behaviour of the Council, that I immediately thought of this thread. The title of the article is : "Welcome to Ireland, where trivial things are magnified and important things are ignored".

An extract from it:

"Ireland seems congenitally predisposed to putting off today any calmly-reached decisions about seminal matters until tomorrow, when it will be plunged into rash reactions in the haste of a crisis. Unlike sunny Spain, maybe our desire for time-wasting distractions springs from the gloominess of our climate."

Change Ireland to Cork city and seminal matters to homelessness and anti social behaviour. Time-wasting distractions then becomes parklets and robot trees and it kind of sums up the situation.

Sad really.

Yes, I am 100% blaming it on planning and regs. Somehow a flabby insult rather than a well thought out and articulate response to my concrete examples from other jurisdictions and experience in Cork city doesn't quite convince me.

But that's ok, just reinforces that I took the right decision to take my investment capital elsewhere, to more pragmatic cities. Maybe I'll try again in another few decades. Enjoy the rot. xx

Yes, Dublin is another level of shItehole alright. It's all relative as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much as the money wasted on the robot trees and the lack of upkeep on the parklets are annoying, for me, what sums up the city council is the joke that is the traffic restrictions on St. Patrick's Street!

Let's tick a big pedestrian friendly box to look like we are forward thinking.

But let's not enforce it because some people don't like it.

It's just so cynical and dishonest!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭TheChizler

100% but I would change one thing in your summary:

But let's not enforce it because some people don't like it.

to: But let's not enforce it because its easier to do nothing!

Bit of both.

I think there's a certain amount of appeasing the very vocal objecting traders ; we'll reinstate the ban, but don't worry, it will only be enforced once in a blue moon!

100%? so it literally is the only thing that is causing homelessness? if you really think that then yeah i stand by what i said, you really have no clue (sorry if youre so insulted by that.....)

also, you understand that while councils decide on planning, they just enforce building regulations, right? those are decided at a governmental level, so half of what youre blaming on the city council should be blamed on the government. not that youre right either way, irish building regulations are generally pretty sound

ive responded to your example (not plural) repeatedly and explained its a bad solution, since it simply is - entering one property through another in the way you described is a poor idea. I'll expand on your example a bit so - would you think it would be a good idea if i had to go through your kitchen to get into my house? its not a like for like of course but im sure you would agree thats a bad idea

you may have had a frustrating experience, thats understandable, but as i have repeatedly said - i have literally done what the caller was talking about for a number of clients, it just takes a bit of investment

and if youre so concerned with the homeless, why didnt you use your capital to fund something to help them rather than taking your money elsewhere? i presume that meant that you were going to be providing council/low-rent accommodation in this project that you couldnt get built because of the council?

You don’t think a lack of actual housing is anything to do with homelessness? I thought it was obvious, you can argue black is white with someone else.

Don’t really get where you are going with the kitchen thing. It’s not a kitchen of someone’s home, it’s a shop. I walked in and out of my apartment today through a shop, a few times. What’s the problem. There is no drama, it’s just a very boring entrance.

Glad you noticed some services and investment is needed, that’s still my point. In a lot of cases the investigation is costly and the investment needed to get past the weird rules makes it unreasonable to proceed. Every single case has to be individually assessed, submissions filed painstakingly and then funding sourced. It’s a giant waste of time, brutally inefficient. Publish a set of guidelines and be pragmatic about it, that would be faster and more effective.

And on your recommendation… I’ve seen the infamous vacant brand new units the council left vacant for years. I wouldn’t be in a rush to recommend handing more housing stock over to them to squander. Actually why would anyone with eyes give the council MORE to manage? They can’t manage MacCurtin street even. Why is there still that hideous temporary footpath there?

Maybe you can’t see it though, there’s a Parklet on it. :D

Love how claiming that the homelessness problem is not 100% caused by lack of supply gets turned into; "You don’t think a lack of actual housing is anything to do with homelessness?"

This poster is a master of twisting ones words and falsely claiming that you said stuff that was never said. Personal insults usually follow.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

as others have said, your first paragraph is in no way what i was saying

i wouldnt be happy if i were the owner and someone was going through my business repeatedly to access their accommodation. what about when it is closed? sounds like a logistical (and insurance) nightmare

explain exactly what rules are so 'weird' to you if you have such a problem?

that was a good attempt at deflection in your last paragraph but i ask the question again, if you are so concerned with homelessness then why didnt you do something about it with all that investment capital you mentioned? somehow i think youre not actually that bothered and its just another flimsy excuse

...If I am so concerned... why the sneer? Flimsy excuse for... what exactly? For my freedom to be mobile? Cork isn't the only place with housing demands. It's just a place making it harder to provide it. Someone is getting the housing I can provide now. Cork is my birthplace, and I'm sad to see it degrade, but I've moved on, gone to where I can be useful rather than getting tied up unable to move ahead with projects.

I'm just letting you know it's happening. I'm not interested in being whipped by increasingly ridiculous bureaucracy, and sneering condescension from the sidelines. You can listen to other's experiences and recognise the reasons we left, or you can stick your fingers firmly in your ears and go la-la-la while the cities infrastructure and buildings crumble further into disrepair. No skin off my nose in the end.

You know you could really help your own blood pressure by putting me on mute, rather than reacting to every single one of my posts with a whinge and a dig, despite me ignoring and not responding for I don't know how long... maybe a year, only to see you are still pathetically prodding away in the background. Sorry to be such a trigger for you, but I think it must be very boring for the rest of the community at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm living in the centre nearly 15 years, I love the city but it's just run down and dirty. Grand parade, daunt square are absolutely manky and over run with addicts and homeless.

I've never felt unsafe there, never even been close to assaulted or had any problems. I'm over 6ft and well built so that might help but probably makes little difference.

I'm not denying there is problems but don't get your views from prendeville, that's tabloid rage radio and only focuses on negatives.

Council are guilty of gross mismanagement, they are responsible for North main Street going to **** and other derelict shabby buildings. I've seen them to one good thing in years and that's those new bins they installed, really helped with constant sight of over flowing bins.

Yeah, those bins are quite good, if a bit filthy, alright. It took them two gos to get it right,though.

They initially installed a couple on Paul Street, but without foot pedals. It was obvious that most people would not use them as it meant touching them with your hand, which most people would be averse to. Sure enough, after a few months they were removed.

They, then came back a year or more later with pedals. How it wasn't glaringly obvious that they needed to be hands free from day one, is beyond me!

In fairness Dún Laoghaire Rathdown CC installed that type of bin without the pedals, sometime before Cork CC. Reluctance to touch the handle, only came about as a result of covid.

I disagree. No one wants to touch a public bin with their hand, and never did, as far as I'm concerned.

The original ones without pedals were removed well before covid iirc.

It really does puzzle me how no one in any of these councils, nor any of the product designers predicted that very, very few people would be willing to touch a public bin with their hands!

I'm no genius but the second I (and, no doubt, many others) clapped eyes on one of those bins, I knew that, as they were, they were doomed to failure. They didn't just retrofit pedals onto them. They were entirely removed for a couple of years, iirc.

Anyway, as they are now, I agree that they appear to be working well. Let's just hope they are still working in 5 years. I suspect that they aren't cheap.

I can't help feeling that there is a preference for hi tech, expensive solutions (robot trees, solar bins) rather than tried and tested methods like planting trees and actually emptying bins. It looks more modern, I guess.

With hindsight, I’d absolutely agree with you. I’m just trying to find something positive to say about our councils.I’m trying not to be negative all the time. It’s not easy!!!

it was a question, you may see it as sneering but i was interested seeing as you mentioned homelessness a number of times, i called it a flimsy excuse as from dealing with similar clients to yourself my guess is that it is profit that concerns you much more than homelessness. which there is nothing wrong with of course, but you might as well be honest - meeting building regs costs money and thats the real problem you have

you dont need to let me know whats happening, i have a number of years experience working on these sorts of projects. i would argue you are the one refusing to listen as you continually reject to understand that the fire officers problems are generally regarding safety. fire safety. regulations that are generally in line with other western countries but somehow you seem to think are over-prescribed.

but yeah, blame the big bad fire officer and the bold boys at the council (despite the fact that as explained already, they only enforce the regulations they dont actually make them)

Don't you think it's a poor reflection that I can manage to satisfy the regs in a city easily in a country where I don't even speak the language natively, using a translation app, but it's a complete palaver in Cork? In other countries they publish a guideline summary of what is recommended, I follow it, easy. In Cork it's multiple agencies where the regs contradict eachother. Here's a simplified version of what happens in the inner city when you're not knocking a building to the ground.

Rule 1: Fire reg: New entrance must ALWAYS be on the front of a building. Rule 2: Heritage reg: New entrance must NEVER be on the front of a building.

Developer: ok... Exasperation -> I'm off to a green field to rip that up instead.

I see that you're trying to justify your profession, and you somehow can make a living out of acting as a middleman and charging people to navigate that mess. But I genuinely think it could be simplified by some common sense if people got their heads together. Meh.

even allowing for your massive oversimplification of how things work (and thats a stretch), regulations are rarely as definite as to use NEVER or ALWAYS. but in your case, the solution would be relatively straightforward, you speak to the fire officer and explain that due to it being a listed building you need to work out alternative methods. if the building is constructed in such a way that there are very limited options with regard fire safety then you engage with the conservation bodies and explain that to them. generally there will be some sort of compromise from one of these depending on how significant the building is

but no, lets blame the council cause we dont want to engage in the process

and no, i have no need to justify my profession to anyone, if you have a problem take it up with the RIAI

Cork city is on record as being the slowest LA to turn around vacant homes for reoccupation. Our "gold plated" regulations perhaps??? I wonder who benefits? Follow the money as they say!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ripping out perfectly good fixtures tends to slow it down. There is one council house in my block empty over 2 years, my other neighbours transferred recently and they have absolutely gutted a beautiful house, tenants put a fortune into it and its been stripped back to spec.

You could of moved a family of 6 back into the day they left in the condition it was in.

Advertisement