Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you holding off on extension?

Options
  • 23-03-2023 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

Have just received a quote of over 100k to add a modest extension to our house with builders finish. Will probably end up being closer to 150k by the time we add kitchen/ furniture and no doubt unforeseen expenses along the way. I just can't justify spending this amount and are kicking ourselves we didn't do it a couple of years ago before everything went loco...

Feeling disheartened and more so coming here to vent😄 but also wondering if anyone else is in the same position and are you holding off in the hope that prices will come down in the next few months/years?

Its very hard for anyone to know for sure what way things will go price wise but surely this isn't sustainable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Yeah we are the exact same, attic conversions were 10K pre covid, you can double that now, same with wanting to build out from our kitchen, mad money now, I sure do hope it comes back a bit as I cannot see myself gettitng into that type of death, kitchens are crazy money nowadays, Id say they are making up the numbers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tbf attic conversions were never 10k. 20k has been the price of that for many moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Our attic conversion was €13k after solid negotiation, I got a better finish and better price than any of my neigbhours getting the same job done. That was in 2005 though. Even during the worst of the recession that followed, it wasn't much cheaper than that. And I agree with @listermint - it was probably around €20k from about 2014-2015 onwards. Not sure if you can even get it done for that any more

Large prefab garden room can still be done for very good value, if you get just the shell built and you do all the internals yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jezzabelle

I just can't get over the prices. Kitchen can be anywhere from 10 to 80k!...We were lucky enough to buy when prices were low so I appreciate what we have in that regard but like yourself I can't see myself getting into that level of debt for what we are getting.

We had no trouble getting 3 reputable builders out to quote within a couple of days so I was hoping that was a good thing if work is slowing down. We are still awaiting two quotes but I don't hold out much hope they'll be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm in a similar position. Waiting for prices to drop for a garden room/office pod and an upstairs toilet. Prices are mental and we are in no immediate rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No I'd say your quotes are entirely accurate. Double width extensions are the solid guts of 120k with basic finishes. 150k with kitchen and some niceties

Same, we are not in a rush and can afford to wait. Hopefully things will improve in the near future. It's just hard to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

I was planning on holding out but our planning permission was running out and they would not let us extend as they brought in some new regulation in Sept 2021 that they were not extending them beyond the five years without major work done. Just be aware that you get about an extra 5 months due to covid on any planning permission.

Since I started in September have got letters off pretty much every supplier every month or so saying 5-10% price increase. Concrete in September was about 100m3 now it's closer to 150m3. Some of these suppliers are just jumping on the bandwagon I feel. The price of labour is the worse thing if your lucky enough to find someone you will be paying for it.

€200 +vat per day for direct labor was the cheapest I could find for wet trades and that's if your lucky enough to get someone willing to do a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Same here just waiting. Live in a 4 bed semi in Dublin getting a very standard extension, kitchen and downstairs toilet done. Involves new gas boiler upgrade and move. 2 quotes were around €140k fook that. Will wait till back under the €100k and even then not sure I'd be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

How many sq metres was the extension? Did it include kitchen and toilet?

We got a quote of 285k for 60 sq metre extension onto a semi-d in Dublin builders finish plus professional fees, we'll be waiting! Another company gave average of 3k per sq metre for extension and 1.8k per sq metre for refurbishment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Scoopsire

Who are you telling! I may quite the day job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

South Dublin, 3 bed semi, attic and garage already converted, was looking for a 40sqm ext and downstairs refurb. Quotes last summer began at 150-200k starting price, told it would be higher by the time it was finished.

Only 2 of us in the house, so we are holding off now for as long as it takes to become reasonable again...whi h may be never!

I think something will need to happen in order for the prices to come down. Either a recession or people holding out so demand comes down. I'll be holding off anyway for now. Hopefully price drops happen sooner rather than later.

I don't know about real demand drop off in cities but I can see the construction industry coming to a standstill in rural Ireland. Banks are currently making it very difficult to get mortgage on a self build. Costings being kicked back looking for higher figures. The higher build cost then puts funding out of range of the applicant. So while banks are lending, realistically, they are only lending to the top grade client. All very much like 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

That alone is a sign things are not great with the construction industry the fact is 18 months ago you would of been lucky to have 1 builder out quoting the fact that you have over 3 now within days shows that the work is drying up and the data shows this too. Construction output is down over 25% since this time 18 months ago. People cannot afford the prices and things like raw materials, petrol/deisel and energy have all come down over the last 6 months so keep holding off if you can as the construction industry will either have to compete or hit the wall in a lot of cases as wages have not come up anywhere near to getting work done and the option of getting a loan has become exponentially a lot more expensive for the person looking to get work done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We just finished a 40sqm extension with a refurb of of the downstairs. This is in Dublin and total cost including kitchen utility, and downstairs loo, is around €180k. Glad it's done now and even if prices drop at least we're finished. Very happy with it.

Hi Wheety any chance of a full breakdown on what you got done. As 180k for 40sq meters is 4.5k a square meter. I know you got more done it would be good to know what you paid out for, for example under floor heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Question - Brightspace are offering sunrooms for €38k, around 20sq m with heating and lighting. A lot less than mentioned above. is it kitchen that is pushing up the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hi Fred, just wondering did you ever look into these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,377 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

$10k pre-covid? The only way that's true is if you are talking about the SARS Coronavirus in 2002...

Well we got a price for an extension for much lower than expected. We priced it 2 years ago at about 90k and our builder is starting in 2 weeks for a price of 85k. He did some work for us in a previous house and had been working on commercial and public projects like the port tunnel for a few years. He said that there is gouging going on and that you only have to look at the make, model and car reg of the lads building your extension are driving to see how much money they are making. He also said that people who were building in the commercial space are seeing that side of things dry up so its either extensions or new builds going forward and its far easier to exist with regards to regulations and planning in the extension side of things. So more competition means price dropping and he also said that almost all building materials are coming down and that the lads he knows are using this connotation of high raw material costs to gouge now he did say the exception was blocks and concrete which has remained fairly steady over the last 6 months or so. He said he is not making too much of a margin but enough to see him through to the new year. Good luck everyone getting their build done but getting a cheaper price now than 2 years ago is a result for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Hi Filball, what part of the country are you in and what size extension if you don't mind me asking?

Just under 20 Square meters but also they have to remove a bathroom and install it in a different location and bring floors up to the same level as they are at different levels currently. In Meath

Its still pretty pricey compared to the west of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I just got tenders for a full renovation and extension in Galway city and they are over 3k/square meter. And that’s not luxury finishes - average price for kitchen, mid range wooden floor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks, 

Quote back for the following south Dublin

1). knock kitchen into dining room and add 30sqm single story extension

2). knock garage and build 2 story extension for downstairs bedroom with en-suite and the same upstairs

3). retrofit to 120sqm house

4). rewire and replumb

Plumbing cost below is upgrade Gas boiler and only future proof for Heat pump and solar. 

What are peoples views as it blew up my expectation of 3k a sq metre for new build and 1500 for retrofit

Another builder just came back with 400k but no bill of quantities..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Madd002

Wow those are crazy prices you'dbuild a mansion elsewhere, would u not price some companies in midlands, alot of them up in Dublin anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

It would be cheaper to sell up and buy a bigger house at that stage

• Advertisement

Ah for feck sake, does that pricing even add up in terms of overall property value?

Will you be adding 485k to the value on completion?

Advertisement