Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labour Saving and General Guntering

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I use the bulk meal bag suspended using two builders trestles. Keep it off the ground is the main thing. Once it gets nearly full jump into it and tramp it down a few times. Tie it up and then off it goes.

A bit confused TBH. Are you just using the floor of the 45' container as the floor of the shed or are you using the full container as a shed?

Will it be 45' x 8' or 22.5' x 16'?

If it is just for the floor of a storage shed would €700 not get you it dug out, a sheet of terram down and a good base of stone? Have a shed done like this myself for machinery and it is perfect for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea, base of stone can be better than concrete, especially for storing timber as the ground can breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

Forgot to take a photo while at it, but was replacing seals in the final drive of the brother's digger this weekend. Bearing nut needed to be torqued up to 490Nm and torque wrench only goes up to 300. So got one of those digital luggage weighing scales, wrapped it around the end of a breaker bar with an extension bar 1.4m long and plugged the numbers into an online calculator. Pulled on the scales until it read 35kg and that'll be the required torque. Job's a goodun 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

I fitted a new rod holder on the arc welder today, redid the earth clamp connection too. Had a bit of vertical to do on the crush... Ya can't beat a good circuit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Not mine but a simple portable air source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭148multi

The puddle of water today will help as well 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭RockOrBog

They reckon small electric shocks are good for the heart..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭148multi

🤣 that would depend on who's heart got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

I like that, does the gas fitting screw off handy enough I wonder or would it have locktite? No heating with the hot spanner on that one!

• Advertisement

I see lads on YT just unscrewing the gas valve with a stillson or whatever so mustn't be too bad. Probably some type of thread lock used alright.

Yer man had my trailer parked out of sight of inquisitive eyes and I spotted a flat tyre on it when I went to pick it up. Too much work in getting it to his garage to the compressor so he brought the air to the wheel instead. Said he once pumped a flat land cruiser tyre to correct pressure with it.

Land roller bought back around 97 was worse for wear. Always left out and never got a coat of waste oil. About 30ft of 4" galv box and a few bits of days here and there. Will nearly see me out now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭893bet

Wrong thread! That’s far from guntering!

Fine job, at least u were welding the galv outside - hateful stuff to weld.

With the quality of steel nowadays anything not galvanized will be junk in no time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Anybody have a handy way of indicating the water level in a storage tank.i d prefer something simple but would be open to something electronic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Depends on type of tank....if above ground...

A weighted float (2 Liter bottle containing a few pebbles) inside tank attached to a cord (clothes line) through a hole in tank lid. Attach a white flag/tag to other end of cord outside tank. As water level drops, flag rises as float pulls cord.

If there's a power source nearby then use the pull cord to close a switch to turn on a lamp when float drops below a certain level.

Post edited by Ten Pin on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

From Reddit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Odelay

You could rent that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭older by the day

That's what I would have for the dog outside in the garden but the wife would not let me. Those women with their high standards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anyone care to guess what this is for and what I plan to use it for on the farm?

The spike part is just over 4 inches and stainless steel.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

To stab someone selling gates boss !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would you use it before putting a ring on a bull?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

On the ball. I saw a vet using similar here a few years back. Now the one the vet had, was longer and just a spike with no handle. She said she got it made up especially for the job.

I find it difficult to break the skin on the far side of the nose with just pushing the ring, as the ring keeps turning back towards me. It's an ice pick, ordered from Amazon. Very well made in fairness and I checked the spike with a magnet. It seems to be stainless (non-magnetic). We'll see how it goes.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Has any of ye ever retro fitted wheels on to a land roller if so I would like to know how ye done it. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I used to use a good quality nose punch to make the hole first then slip the ring in through the hole.

Trying to drill some holes in 3mm bar. I punch the centre spot and drill a 5mm pilot hole. However the bit still seems to wander. As I then drill out the wander becomes noticeable as the bar is only 50mm wide.

I've bent the bar into shape first, which is possibly the root cause of the problem as I can't now put it in the pillar drill.

Any hints on how to ensure they are centred? The bits are new.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

When you mark it with the punch after the first blow take out the punch and then re position it in the hole then hit it again. This stops you having more than 1 punch mark which I think might be the problem.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Try using a Tek screw, found them handy before n less likely to go wandering.

I welded the holes back up again, grinded them flsuh and used some intermediate bits to step out - seems to have worked better. Maybe just going from 5 mm to 12mm was the problem - too a big a bite. Dunno.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭White Clover

5mm is too big for a pilot hole. Also as blue5000 said, when marking with a punch, one blow and reposition again before the next blow.

Advertisement