Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Floral gas has a new fixed rate on offer. While there standing charges are high they now have the lowest fixed rate on the market from what I can see.

Gas 11.77 including VAT standing charge 239.98

Elec 37.99 including VAT standing charge 302.92

Hoping other suppliers start dropping there rates. Gas bill was underestimate by 200 euro, maybe the rates are down by the time it comes in 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

This fixed rate seems to be a way to lock people into higher rates when the rates start to drop though

Personally I would be holding fire for now

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭sonyvision

I agree, locking in a fixed rate when we all expect rates to reduce isn't a good play. However I do take it as a good indication that reduced rates are going to creep.

SSE offering 10% with cash back or straight 15% recently.

Other players such as EI or Bord Gais have not yet made any changes that I can see in 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭tandcapply

@satya Did you ever find their number? My contract is ending next week.

If anyone else has it I'll appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

My contract is up on the 4th of April. My current rate before VAT is 39.7 cent and I have a 26% discount on that. Apparently, the best they can do is a 5.5% discount and €100 cashback if I sign up for 12 months... It doesn't seem great to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

When I ckecked a week or so ago EI were offering 10% discount to existing customers. They must have changed the plan recently. I'm currently getting 30% discount with them but will be out of contract at the end of May. Hopefully there might be some better plans available by then but I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Prices in the North are dropping from April 1st, though they'll actually be paying more because of a change to their government price cap.

Might see reductions here before May

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

My 26% discount with EI is coming to an end, and by default I revert to 8.5% discount. No tie-in contract. If I do tie in for a year, I get the same rate, with €150 cash bonus. It's not much incentive. I'll hang on to see if rates come down.

One thing that occurs to me is that the companies each appear to have different "standard rates", so it's not as simple as comparing the percentage discount. E.g. EI 8.5% discount on electricity results in a rate of 39.6c incl. VAT. The Airtricity 15% discounted rate sounds great, but actually results in a rate of 41.01c incl VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

I got the 41% again off them last August. Rang them up they offered me 35% and I said I would go check their rivals first, as I wanted same deal as new customer, should be rewarding loyal customers etc, just about to hang up and was asked would I sign up there and then if I got the 41%, took it and ran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,924 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

yeah, the standard rate and discount aren't much use in isolation. You need to know how many units you use a year and figure out what it will actually cost you (including the standing charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 38 delerium1

tried that with bord gas, best offer was 18%. tried all the others and can't any more than 15%

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Got an email from Energia that my plan has a month left and it’s going to change from €1250 to €2k roughly but I can call to get a reduced rate, I’m not expecting a great discount tbh

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

I just left them. They rang my wife (account was in her name) & they told her they would e-mail me a better offer that is not available online.

The offer was the same but they offered €50 cashback & a Google speaker.

So they offered the increased price as a deal ? Fmd my account is on herself name too

might be time to shop around, the 40% I got last time was good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can shop around all you like folks, there’s no one offering 40% or anything close to it

Theres 3 things that need to be looked at

1) the user rates

2) the standing charges

3) any discount or cash back or additional offers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭gussieg

Just what you need a google speaker to use more of their lovely pricey electricity . Solar and windmills all round.

Clearly the 40% isn’t in the table anymore but it’s worth looking around for cashback etc like you said

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭suave.4u

lads my electricity contract is expiring tomorrow. On Energia now.

Who would be the best provider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

People need to stop thinking the highest discount is the best.

Unbelievable that some people think 15% off 48c is cheaper than 8.5% off 41c.

Get a calculator and do the sums. Do not take a fixed rate.

Most rates are variable, so a 10% discount off standard rates will see the net rate fall when prices do come down.

Near certainty that there will be announcements in April as business rates are down to just over 30c. And before people think businesses are getting priority, no residential accounts were paying 71c in December!!!! Some businesses were!!!

• Advertisement

You sound very angry and who what makes you think people don’t have common sense to work out the best financial option for them, maybe you’re trying to be helpful but it comes across as very condescending on a thread where people are just chatting about offers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭con747

Post edited by con747 on

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

FYI

I'm with Electric Ireland and my contract is about to run out, a few weeks ago they send an email with 10% off. at the bottom of the email is states that the offer is valid till the contract runs out.

today they rang and tried to get me to sign up for 8.5% and said they could not do any better even after I said about the email they said it was not available anymore. I rang back after checking the email to be sure, and they gave me the 10% discount when I said the email said it was vaild to the end of the contract. I had checked beforehand and with my usage they were the best for Electricity and gas combined even at 8.5%.

just to say if you got the email with 10% offer, it is still valid as long as your contract has not run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just fixed our business electricity with flogas for 30c a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

EI offering €100 cashback again via bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Hopefully the start of the tide turning and in April we see unit prices decreasing across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

Walter is One of the best posters of useful info on this and other threads. Through our taxes we are funding a National Consumer Agency. Walter provides a better service for free on the energy side at least

On the 8 v 18% discount. I got an 18% discount for renewal from an expensive provider (was previously on 40%) . The 18 brought it in line with other providers, so I'm betting that should we see similar prices following expected falls in April, the 18% discount will be much better, if we don't 50 euro exit fee will be paid

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

for electricity and gas only? I dont see it for electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

It says 150 for electric ireland on bonkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

i see it now you have to be an existing customer, no offers at all for new customers as in you cant sign up through bonkers

Advertisement