Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭apache

Thanks very much Grem. I came from a private hospital stay with groups to this. It's just a shock. Like there are 2 or 3 nurses there but they are not there. They get paid to scroll on their phones all day. I understand though what you are saying. It's given me something to think about. Maybe my expectations are too high but the basic common courtesy of introducing themseves and your fellow patients. Also there has ever been only 3 or 4 other people there any time I went so they're not exactly overwhelmed.

My psych appointment was cancelled. It's not going well for me. I did have a rant to a nurse about the day hospital though and she listened and I feel better.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's possibly very transient patient-wise too. However i sound like i'm making excuses now. I hope things become more positive in relation to the care there. How are you at advocating for yourself?. Do you have some outside support?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lentil Soup

'nurses' scrolling on their phones is a disgrace and not lack due to of staff or work overhelm. I am not surprised the poster is annoyed

I would report them. They should not be allowed personal phones at work

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The sad thing is, that's been my experience in certain hospitals. Certain Nurses not working, not talking to patients, and often leaving the work to the nurses who are immigrants to our country. And by golly, they're often the best nurses, those who aren't Irish I mean. Most caring, most obliging, and genuinely most human and empathetic. Irish nurses feel beat down by the system, I don't know. It's not like that in every hospital, and I don't want to generalise.

Other hospitals, the staff across the board are great. It's sad, but then again, we've also heard (either from friends, or family who work in hospitals or from articles) how nurses are facing constant streams of verbal abuse or harassment, as well as physical assaults. They're human, that can take a toll. I have a relative who works in the Office admin of a hospital, and she's got some tales. A few folks they've had to warn security about, because certain vagrants would wander in, late at night, and use the hospital entrance/ reception area as a public toilet, and the mess they leave can not be cleaned up with just a mop, unfortunately.

That said, we're all individuals, and it's horrible to hear how you're being treated, @apache . It might help to journal it, even posting on here might help. Just get the anger out of your system. I know it's honestly shocking and frustrating how poor our mental health services have become in recent times. Even private has become hit and miss.

It has helped to write it down here. Thanks for the understanding. It is frustrating how the system is and the private has it's share of issues too.

I just don't understand why nurses are in the job if they don't want to interact with people. I know the system is at breaking point but these nurses were just stuck on their phones and reading the papers all day. Like they do nothing all day and get paid for it! It's very frustrating and cold......especially when people are at their most vulnerable.

I'll have to decide if it's doing me more harm than good.

Post edited by apache on

• Advertisement

You might have gotten in on a bad day, I don't know. Or it might be that folks were working overtime, and the regulars were out sick.

It is strange, because I've known folks who've gone into nursing, and who are compassionate. And then I know folks who are like 'it's a job', and who've no compassion whatsoever. I also know many more who would have been great nurses, but I think it just was not for them. A shame.

If you can consult with your GP or anyone familiar with what you're going through right now, they might be better able to advise you. If it's hindering you more than helping, maybe look into an alternative. Might be other hospitals or facilities that would be better able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Does anyone (who suffers with anxiety, depression or ptsd/cptsd) have a disturbing recurring sleep dream? If only I could rid myself of one, which has no basis to haunt me for over a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Yes, in a way. Not the exact same dream but locations(which don't exist in reality) are the 'setting' of bad dreams . Same ones crop up again and again and have done for donkeys.

Thanks for sharing Sardonicat, appreciate it!

My setting exists and the interactions feel very real :/

That sounds horrible, Deja.

Is it connected to a traumatic event? If you are experiencing intense negative emotions frequently in your sleep ot might be worth talking to someone about it. Poor sleep and frequent trauma reactions, even if caused by dreams, can have a really negative impact on physical and mental health.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I can't shake it off.

Indeed it was... I shall, thanks - a good idea for sure. Never thought about it from that frame of reference, but you are right. Thanks for your wise perspective, Sardonicat!

The dreams connected to trauma is a common occurrence, sadly. The 'script' of the dream might be different, but the theme is always the same.

I have those that coincide with certain dates, or regarding certain traumas. Sometimes they can be re-traumatising. Or literally throw you off the whole day. Sometimes they can lead to other physical ailment. Like physical pains, the feeling of a pulled muscle. Headaches. Stomach issues. Stress.

Sometimes they can be an indicator that one might be withholding something. An indicator it might be time to talk to someone about something.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lentil Soup

Good information there Rabble, thanks for the insight! ...I appreciate how you put it - the script varies a bit but the theme is consistent, so true ...and they almost seem more traumatising than the actual (historical) event.

Need to get my sleep pattern somewhat back to normal. This month has been kind of a rollercoaster - less so in terms of emotions, but my sleep pattern has been wrecked. Feels like I'm running marathons, then crashing the following day, unable to get out of bed. Being sick at the beginning of the month threw me off completely. Those days when I can't get out of bed, the following day I'm walking around a like a zombie, going through the motions.

Then the stormy weather, clocks going forward... And also trying to not get have a panic attack. Usually that involves me doing stuff like chopping timber and breaking a serious sweat with some kind of exercise. Trying to avoid an existential crisis that 'bed days' seem to set off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had dbt at all? I've been introduced to it briefly and would like to explore it more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Dialectical behavioral therapy? It's helpful as a foundation to get thinking, I don't know if you are doing it solo or what but I had it in a group setting with complimentary one to one therapy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Yeah I had one solo session and it worked very well so hopefully I can continue it

I have a group DBT course coming up later in the year. They only run 2 a year. Is it useful? Depends on how much you put into it I suppose and how much you want to change things.

I was going to get one on one too but because I still manage to see a therapist privately they don't want to interfere with that. I can understand that.

I've taken to the bed. I'm completely overwhelmed with sadness, negativity and darkness and just can't muster up the energy to fake it anymore. Wrang gp surgery this morning the phone was actually answered by a new gp! She was lovely. Kind, compassionate and understood immediately the seriousness of the situation I'm in. Wants me to be seen ASAP so I'm to ring tomorrow at 9.30 to see if she's any cancellation otherwise 9.30 Monday morning. Feeling less scared now.

• Advertisement

So glad the gp recognised your situation, hope you get seen tomorrow, post anytime, somebody is always here and our other favourite thread ☺️

I hope you find some hope and help, Sardonicat. :)

Post edited by Deja Boo on

So last several days (can't really put a number on how many days it been) been rough. Had a new therapy session, with a new therapist, and even felt myself keeping my cards close to my chest.

Otherwise, ended up in a situation where I'm gonna be financially tightening my belt for a couple of weeks. Nothing where I'll be homeless, but moreso some added stress. My sleep this week has been erratic enough. Stormy weather didn't help, and situation changing helped far less.

Was meant to make a few phone calls yesterday, but the weather meant my phone signal was poor, so had to send an email. Going to have to send another email to keep the person updated. Was meant to call, but my energy has been zapped.

And found out that a relative is dying. This wasn't unexpected, because their health had been in decline for the last few years. An illness that couldn't be cured, but could be treated. Sadly, they're now in hospital and it's only a matter of time. To be honest, I wasn't close to this person, but it's more like... I was in the same position his family now are, many moons ago. And you sort of feel all those emotions stir up again. So the empathy, that springs forth. And it sort of reminds me of the past.

Probably won't be able to go to the funeral, probably for the best, as I doubt anyone would know who I was.

Got seen by GP today. Very good consultation. Prescribed Prozac, a sleeper to bridge me over the next few weeks and started me on beta- blockers mainly to see if they'll help with the frequency and intensity of my migraine attacks but also to assist with calming me down a little bit. Have to go out everyday for 30min walk (Mr Sardi required to chaperone as no way I can do that alone at the moment) and some counsellor contact details. Won't say I'm feeling better but do feel relieved and less alone.

Rough few days here too, myself and OH talking a friend down almost nightly, it's good that we can be there for her since the services aren't but it's a bit much at the same time..

Oh, that's rough Grem. It's great you are there for your friend and of course it helps when you can fully empathise but it can be very scary it's a lot of responsibility and it can be very triggering too. I hope your friend can turn a corner soon.

Im very glad you got to see the doc today, I'm also very glad it was a good experience given the other experiences you've had with them all. We'll be ok, OH has taken to the bed but we've the months mind tomorrow evening, that might help our friend or it might be a very long weekend. Either way I feel a corner will have been turned

Oh, that will be a landmark event. Definitely, things will feel different after. The end of one phase and start of another. Is there anyone that can share the load supporting your friend?

It'll be next week before she decides if inpatient is needed, just need to get through this weekend really..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I dunno what to do, I know if I speak to professionals they will ask if I'm suicidal, I'm not. I do think of people being diagnosed with cancer and wish it was me.

Advertisement