Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mariadumitruiulian

Guys, any tips for connecting with NEEY balancer? I connected NEEY to battery pack as per diagram, it started, both blue and red led flashing. With iPhone I couldn't connect, I can't see it under Bluetooth devices or in app (GeeWe BMS).

I tried then with android tablet, I could see and connect to it , blue led stopped flashing after connection was successful, red light continues to flash, I can't find it in app (NEEY_V3.1_2021-11-01.apk) .

Any advice is welcome, thanks!

EDIT: Sorted, just connected with IPhone...

Post edited by mariadumitruiulian on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

Bought from oye last year around this time. Think late march is the next sale

Maybe a bit out of topic...

I set up HA on my Synology NAS with Docker , and now I want to connect to the Solarman and NEEY (using AZDelivery ESP32board). Can I do this for the Docker version, or will I need to get a Raspbery Pi? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Thanks to @unkel, who has been very helpful, not to mention the other contributors of this thread, I will soon join the ranks of LiFePO4 battery bank owners. Lots of stuff on order including 16S 280Ah bank, JK 200A BT/CAN BMS. The inverter is going to a SunSynk 5 kW. No immediate PV plans but it will be no doubt added sometime in the future when the funds allow. So the main usage will be to timeshift those 9.8 c/kWh dual rate units.

I had already ordered a 16S2P 200Ah modules from aliexpress/PWOD for €2.7k, but as there was no availability after paying for it I got the other cells instead for about 100 yoyo's more. Disappointing but that was all that was available in EU and I didn't want to try other suppliers as yous have had good luck with PWOD. The bank will be installed in garage where I have some space on the "attic" level above the rafters. I suspect I'll have this running sometime in May once the components have arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Interesting. Assuming you can move to a supplier that offers that level of discount in perpetuity this is another way of saving money without installing PV at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd almost argue that it's more environmentally friendly to install battery only than to install PV only. If done at scale it will contribute hugely to stabilising the grid and reducing the number of peaker gas plants needed and make better use of existing renewable electricity. And once you have a hybrid battery system setup, it's easier than Lego to click a few panels in series and click it into the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭DC999

If the aim is to run the grid with the existing plants then batteries (on night rates at scale across Irish premises) help that. And that's deffo a win.

But solar creates electricity (though PV output relative to the overall grid usage is only noticeable at scale). While batteries just store it and have losses in and out. And still at mercy of electricity rate changes or cheap window getting shorter. At least with solar you reduce that.

I did look at battery only for my folks. They can't afford PV and battery. Deffo a good Q for those who can only do one or the other (which is me too).

If your budget is very small, obviously just a basic small PV system will do the trick. My first system cost me about €400 all in for 3 panels and a plug in inverter. Back then the pay back time was about 3-4 years. At today's electricity rates it would have been less than a year. Low hanging fruit!

Even if you just have no space like an apartment (with a balcony) and / or a tiny budget, get one panel and a micro inverter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

I will most likely install PV too in the near future, but as the off peak price difference is so big now combined with the hassle to physically DIY install the panels on the roof this is the chosen order or action. We also have quite a limited roof space available (small semi-D with E-N-W roof with an unfortunate shape) so the battery seemed like a good option.

I suspect only 3 or 4 panels would fit on E and W.

Hip roof is sh1t for PV. But if you can fit 4 panels to east and 4 panels to west, you'd have a decent setup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Taking that logic the PV grant could be adapted to a AC couple battery inverter and batteries. We easily get a good peak shaving setup with the money on offer

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

No need for any grants really for anything. They disturb market prices and and up in the pockets of people who really don't need it (like installers) or people who would have gone ahead buying anyway if there wasn't any grant. Waste of tax payer's money, particularly the very expensive red tape system around it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It has probably been mentioned here already but there is an Aliexpress sale on tomorrow.

I'm not in the market for any cells but I have seen the NEEY for $88 USD. So I assume some decent prices on batteries too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Battery cells came today. I wont have time to install for 2 weeks as I have too much going on :(

Really looking forward to it though :)

Priorities?

When my last pack came I built the battery that same evening, didn't go to bed until 4AM 😁

Well....

I'm collecting my Tesla M3LR tomorrow so will end up being busy with that over the next few days.

To use the battery I have to run a CAT6 from the consumer unit to the office (back of the garden) where the battery will go, there is conduit in the garden, its the internal part behind skirting etc that will be hard as I have to take out storage in the utility and parts of the kitchen. Will be following the SWA power cable and existing CAT6 network cable, I just never took a battery into account with CT's when building during covid. Always knew I would do solar just never thought of a battery.

Then I have to build a storage unit in the back of the office (2 separate rooms, office front storage shed at the back) to hold the batteries, beside the solar inverter and the new SOFAR ME3000SP. But to do that I first have to level the floor with leveling compound as I never had a chance to finish that part of the project during covid.

All while working this week, a trip down the country this weekend in the new car with the family and a trip away with work next week. Not to mention one of the kids has a confirmation the following weekend and then we are into Easter school time off.

Priorities suck sometimes! Would love nothing more than to get stuck into the battery after a few days playing with the car :)

That's rather a lot more than I had to do this time in fairness 😁

Well wear on the Tesla!

Can't wait to finally get a car with more range. I changed role in work in October 2021 where I get a car allowance.

Originally ordered the Skoda Enyaq in October 2021. War broke out in Ukraine and I was told I would not get the car until mid 2023 at best. In the end I would have had it by January 2023 but I cancelled in May 2022.

Ordered the Toyota BZ4X in May 2022, was supposed to get it for early July 2022 but there was a mass recall for some wheel falling off safety issue. There was no communication from Toyota on when this would be resolved but in the end I would have had the car by January 2023.

Come September 2022 I was sick of waiting for the Toyota so I cancelled it and ordered the M3 as I had more financially from saving what I would have been paying on a loan. Was hoping to have this in February 2023 but here we are now in March.

You dodged a bullet with the BZ4X! Not sure why you didn't go for the Tesla Model Y rather than the Model 3 though, it's more comparable in form factor to the Toyota / Skoda

Ah, see your order date now. Back then the cheapest Model Y was €73k. In white 😮

Well guys I got yesterday the BMS, connected today and surprise... it doesn't work. I get an "Abnormal Communication" error on the LCD when I press the reset button to start the BMS and that's all, green light flashes(the right one), I can't connect with RS485 . Any help would be great appreciated :(

I connected everything in the order specified in manual, checked all wires for right voltages . B- to battery-, B+ to battery + ...

• Advertisement

Some decent prices on PWOD currently for batteries.

About €1,750 for 16 280Ah or €1,265 for the CALB 200Ah.

Link? When I went in a moment ago, with all the coupons I could grab and in $ I get something like €1325 (without the VAT). Still a very decent price for the 16 CALB 200Ah

• Registered Users Posts: 21,927 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah biggest tip for Ali sites is to price in USD, they have awful rates of forex

Yes seems to change all the time, getting just $1357 now, even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Clf

I will sell my 16 PWOD "200ah" cells if anyone is interested. I presume any cells bought from them now will test similar to mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

I have my PWOD "200ah" cells functioning as a 120ah after replacing 4 of the worst cells. Trying to decide what to do for next winter, daytime usage was Oct - 300kwh, Nov - 493kwh, Dec 856kwh, Jan 538kwh, Feb 395kwh for about 2500units mainly at 31c, some at 41c vs a night time of 7.6 (all plus VAT @ 9% ) so about 600e payback which would definitely see me getting another battery, probably the 280ah from nkon.

Need to research whether to do a 16sp2, or 2 separate 16s with their own BMS, or get a separate inverter also, current on a 3kw solis hybrid.

Research current rates as those are old so will impact perceived savings. Personally I’d go 16S2P

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭munsterfan2

Thanks, I'm just not sure if it is OK to do the 16sp2 with the now 120ah calb & 16 of these 280ah. (https://eu.nkon.nl/rechargeable/lifepo4/prismatisch/rept-280p-prismatic-280ah-lifepo4-b-grade.html) but then again I might sell off the calb cells and buy 32. ( Those are my current BGE rates with 40% discount - expires in July so will wait until I see what way the rates are then before I jump.

How would a pair of 2 cells with differing resistance perform, 4 of the original cells have a higher resistance, my cell difference varies quite a bit under load although the neey is definitely helping by balancing when cells are above 3.4v, plus would require modified busbars. I wonder would there be much interest in the cells if I was to cell them at 50e each.

• Advertisement

I've totally lost confidence in PWOD based on real capacity being recently reported, thankfully my current 32 cells are right up there in terms of capacity but I would not be paying for 120ah capacity on 190/200ah rated cells

Advertisement