Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The should it or should it not be a red card thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

I never agreed with the decision but I've a huge amount of sympathy for any ref who's asked to make those decisions in a minute or so. The Super 12s approach of everything being an instant yellow and reviewed by the TMO if further punishment is deemed appropriate is a fantastic initiative. Speeds up the game and allows for better decision making. I really can't think of any reason it isn't compulsory across the board.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

Yeah, whatever about the ability nto bring on a replacement after 20 minutes, which I think is a terrible idea, the immediate yellow with review to determine if its actually a red seems like a really sensible, no-brainer of an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This 100%.

All this panel did today was to further endanger players and to heap another pallet onto the bonfire that is the creeping existential threat to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Rangy

It also removes transparency from the decision making process. And accountability. I like to know what is going on in the game and to view it as it happens. Also, to say the decision will be more accurate if it goes upstairs is not necessarily true. It might speed up the game but the video match official doesn’t have the sight on the ground.

Refs have to make that call on the pitch and be backed when they do it. For refs to concede to home town pressure is to not do the job correctly. They generally get it right and don’t cave whenever I see them. I would have no complaints with how Stewards red was reffed my gripe is with the law.

To remove refs from the decision altogether is removing part of the game from the publics sight and lessens the drama. We all want drama in big games as neutrals and to draw in big crowds. Speed is not key.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

All fair comments. I think if they could work out a way for it to presented back to the ref with a recommendation for their final review, that would work, but I guess you'd need a break in play and then your still back to the ref spending time making a decision.

There's definitely some merit to the idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It’s a bit hard to take you seriously given Porter smashing Retallick’s jaw was judged by the disciplinary committee as only meriting a YC as it was a “soak” tackle. Only the most one eyed of fans would claim a NZ prop smashing James Ryan’s jaw and getting only a YC would have been equally well received by Irish and Leinster fans such as your good self

The Stewart RC was a complete and utter joke imo and I’m glad for him that it was downgraded.

the whole thing is a lottery at present. I’d be in favour of following super rugby where the player is sent off and the TMO has 10 minutes away from the heat of the moment and the baying of the rabid home fans to take a reasoned and objective look at the incident before deciding the final colour of the card.

rugby really is a hard sell at times to casual fans. RWC will generate new interest but arcane rules and protocols don’t lend themselves to attracting new fans to the game.

rugby really is a hard sell at times to casual fans. RWC will generate new interest but arcane rules and protocols don’t lend themselves to attracting new fans to the game.

Yeah, that's it, it's the arcane rules and protocols that will scare new fans away from the game, not watching guys sustain serious head trauma regularly in a sport where the administrators don't seem to give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Glad red card was rescinded, I hate them for anything other than deliberate foul play. There has to be some sort of recognition that players choose to play rugby, one of the most physical team games there is, nobody is forcing them to play. We certainly knew the risks when we were playing and played anyway. The game will die with constant red cards and games being decided early on. Especially when it's the underdog team.

I was at Italy match 2022 and they got put down to 13 or was it 12? men at one stage and we left and went to the pub.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Not sure casual fans even know that ex-pros are having serious issues.

I would say that the administrators care more than the vast majority of fans personally which is what is making it such a difficult line for them to tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The Aussies and NZers have a different perspective on this though. They actively want to tone down the punishments for head contacts because they're competing for viewers with NRL and Aussie Rules, who don't really seem bothered about concussions and such.

Look at this;

A two-match ban, and there's plenty of commentary that the game is gone soft, wasn't intentional, etc etc.

Now, the 'casual fan' referred to above loves seeing that, it looks great on a highlight reel on Twitter, and that's who the SHers need to appeal to. That's why they're trying to lessen the punishments for high tackles, to get the TV dollarydoos rolling in.

Unfortunately, the 'casual fan' won't be paying out for the CTE lawsuits that are coming down the tracks in rugby and the 'casual fan' doesn't care if parents (like me) won't let their kids play rugby any more.

• Advertisement

Once again, do you actually read what you're writing here yourself?

You're making an equivalence between a team like Italy getting pumped after a red card and guys incurring life altering head injuries, because they choose to play rugby.

The game will die if the administrators of the sport don't do something to stop this, either because people will stop playing the game, or because it will become uninsurable.

I've loved rugby my whole life, started playing at 6, and yet I really don't actually know if I want my newborn son to play the game when he's older. That's the sort of thing that is an actual existential threat to the game, not you and some other spoofers enjoyment being spoiled by a red card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Far far better than anything I could write. This a thousand times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

How could I write it without reading it also. A hearing by the adminisrators, paid to run and protect the game cleared red card. I'll take that as closure. This head injury thing has reached drama queen status, consistent with the outrage on internet for the perpetually offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You're right the Australian and NZ markets are competing with sports that have a much more casual relationship with player safety. They have to do whatever they can to bring money in and keep rugby competitive. That's why they are constantly looking at ways to balance player safety by punishing head contact without "ruining" the contest and losing viewers. Hence the tinkering around the red cards. I think they are right to look at finding something between a yellow and a red as they currently are in the NH.

The clip you posted, I don't think any rugby fan would object to a hit like that being a straight red followed by a long suspension. Like 12 weeks.

I've seen a few posts saying that in the SH theres an attitude that **** happens, theres head contact, they're adults and people just need to get on with the game. That is kinda true. But that's an attitude across society in NZ, Aus and SA. People tend to be less risk averse. Theres a thinking of "yeah go for it but if you hurt yourself, it's your own fault".

Not sure how well I'm explaining this.

Yeah drama queen status, sure.

Maybe go and watch the documentary on Steve Thompson, or read about what guys like Ryan Jones or Alix Popham are going through before making such stupidly uninformed comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

The hearing report completely contradicted the laws. There should have been no mitigation. Emphasis mine

From WR report "Having reviewed all the evidence, the Committee decided that: (i) head contact with an opposing player had occurred; (ii) there had been an act of foul play in breach of Law 9.11 in that the player had been reckless in his actions and in his upright positioning as he approached and came into highly dangerous contact with the other player..........................."

Meanwhile according to WR's Laws of the game "Mitigation will not apply for intentional or highly reckless acts of foul play."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheRona

They felt his actions were reckless, not highly reckless, therefore mitigation applies.

Why should the duty of care fall on the governing body though? It’s because they have the money to potentially compensate victims of these life changing head traumas. Surely it is driven by players and coaches to stick their heads where their heads shouldn’t go. That’s where the real liability lies regardless of the compensation victims are entitled to.

People harping on about World Rugby making the game safer are denying the real source of the problem and laying blame where it doesn’t really lie. Why not introduce criminal liability to the fold and see if coaches push their players so hard to do acts of bravery that are unsafe going forward.

In terms of how World Rugby are going about lessening the incidents of head trauma they are taking the wrong approach. You can do it without ruining games as a contest by lowering the tackle height. Why not lower the tackle height to remove these game destroying incidents from the game and lessen head trauma? (I know I said previously knees to the head will still happen but the red card for head on head contact is ruining the game.) The rules currently are bizarre.

Also, as the rules currently stand, the governing body removing the liability from the attacker has skewered the dynamics of how the game is played. Often it’s the attacker that instigates the head contact why should the defender be the one with the duty of care?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

If a tackle is reckless and highly dangerous then it's highly reckless in my eyes.

Covered already.

• Advertisement

What’s been covered already? I’m raising valid points as to how to stop the game being ruined. They are valid suggestions. The game in its current format is not allowing teams to win on merit. You can introduce safety measures and remove the bizarre situations of teams being reduced to 14 men early in games. Don’t be so dismissive

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

There are many in the NH who are similarly 'less risk adverse' but it is risk to other people that they are happy to accept.

The advent of professionalism has transferred a critical level of the duty of care to the employer.

The quantum of how much of this duty will be measured out in the courts soon enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Disciplinary panels far, far, far more frequently upgrade cards from yellow to red then the reverse.

Hadn’t thought about it that way but yes you’re right. The question is who is the employer? The unions or world rugby? The unions are the employer but world rugby is the regulatory body?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The contact is highly dangerous, not the action.

Sorry, my post was nothing to do with yours. I'd quoted someone else with a response but that same response had already been given on the thread so just edited my own post as it was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

The duty of care has to extensively fall on the governing body as they are the law makers, ultimate guardians of the sport. if they dont care for the potental long term health of the sport then no one will. Yes players and coaches leading those players must be taught to change behaviour etc and thats on the governing bodies.

Introducing criminal liability would be crazy in this area and would open far more problems and solve nothing. A red card for head on head contact doesnt ruin a game. a red card doesnt ruin a game. someone being recklessly and needlessly hit high in a dangerous fashion ruins a game and there is a big difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

The cases lodged by former players are under civil (rather than criminal) liabilty.

If these players can demonstrate loss and the courts take the view that WR and it's member Unions were aware of the potential for this loss and negligently failed to act then WR & Unions are liable.

But this is a big ask and may take years to establish and even then settlements without prejudice may serve to obscure a true state of affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Having quoted partially from the press release, I'd have thought you might have read the bit where they decided it was not a tackle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

His point is - presumably- that something being reckless resulting in something highly dangerous does not make the action highly reckless to which mitigation doesn’t apply according to law quoted. The reference to tackle in his post is irrelevant. I can’t comment on whether this is true under laws though.

re red cards and wider issues around game. Do people think making this a red card vs yellow would change any behaviours? In my view the gain of making this very unlikely contact a red card is almost zero vs outweighed by impact on game. Despite comments above casual fans are very much out off by red cards. Steward had no idea if Keenan would kick or pick up ball and had almost zero time to react. I’d be very surprised if we ever saw a contact like this more than 1 a year across professional game.

The focus should on behaviours that can be changed. This needs to continue and despite the protests about state of game is working Just look at a game from 5 years ago. So many tackles there don’t happen now as they would be yellows or red.

also sanctions for actions deemed red do need to increase. This 2 week can stuff is nonsense

Advertisement