Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As part of coaching young children I need to be Garda vetted i.e. we must check that you are not a paedophile. That's how safeguarding works, you don't get to be super sensitive and say how dare you ask me to be vetted. The children come before my sensitivities. Most well adjusted people don't have an issue with that.

Erm, Garda vetting has feckall to do with checking whether or not anyone’s a paedophile 😁 It has nothing to do with protecting children either, and everything to do with protecting the organisation. It doesn’t prevent an allegation being made either -

https://www.thejournal.ie/court-childcare-worker-sexual-assault-creche-5056878-Mar2020/

As for the rest of it, well I can’t figure out for the life of me either why anyone wouldn’t want to engage in any rational, nuanced or calm debate about safeguarding with you when your starting point is that they’re a pretty sensitive group characterised by depression, autism, self-harm, etc etc, and according to you their need for outside validation is driven by angst and self-doubt… because that’s totally rational, like what’s their problem really?

Yes, a return to science-based care is what’s needed, like lobotomies, blood-letting and in extreme cases - call in the God squad for an exorcism when the patients condition is beyond all medical and scientific knowledge, and if that fails… well, antipsychotics are a wonderful drug 😁

Clopenthixol is a mixture of cis and trans isomersZuclopenthixol, the pure cis isomer, was later introduced by Lundbeck in 1962, and has been much more widely used. Both drugs are equally effective as antipsychotics and have similar adverse effect profiles, but clopenthixol is half as active on a milligram-to-milligram basis and appears to produce more sedation in comparison.

Clopenthixol is not approved for use in the United States.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clopenthixol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,872 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Great clip. You'll be dismissed because that's GB News. I gotta say I'm not a fan of GB News overall either, but I do like Doyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I said she is transphobic, I defined the word 'transphobia'. I highlighted a tweet which fit said discription. I explained why I felt said tweet was transphobic. I pointed out that she has supported other transphobic senitments.

One person same up with an alternative interpretation to the tweet (which I disagreed with) and declined to comment on the support of other transphobic tweets.

I'd argue my case is pretty well made - feel free to disagreee with it if you want. But saying, "ah you said open and shut!!!" doesn't actually challenge my point. Linking to a 9 minute clip without comment of your own doesn't actually challenge my point. You want to challenge my point? Lay out your stance. Hiding behind Andrew Doyle and say, 'but he said she wasn't!" doesn't challenge my point.

Making your own point would challenge my point, but you don't atually do this.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

If you cared about the truth surrounding Rowling you would watch the video. Having no interest suggests you don't care which is a common attitude to have.. Your mind is already made up and nothing I nor Andrew Doyle can say or show will do anything to change your inconced belief that Rowling is a transphobic bigot.

So when people who are familiar with the lies and smears come to Rowling's defence , you only see them as defending a transphobe so they also must be transphobes. . Because you have no context of where they are coming from since you willfully turn a blind eye to the evidence that may prove Rowling innocent of transphobia

• Advertisement

Right now, I don't have time to watch the video.

I care about your thoughts and opinoins as much as the truth - but other than disagreeing with me, you haven't really expressed, so there's nothing really for me to counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Evade

You're right when using your unique definition of transphobia but just about everyone else is using the more standard definition which includes an element of hate or discrimination.

Fair point, but to me phobias don't nessecarily have to include said elements. Hate and discrimination are more the occaasional results of phobias, rather than the definition. You are scared of something so you develop hate and start discriminating against it - but that's not always the case.

I've never accused Rowling of hate or discrimination (but that doesn't mean I don't think she's done it: I don't know)

Provide something Rowling said that proves her to be transphobic and I will either agree or attempt to provide a counter argument. So far you have have accused guilt through association so I cannot provide a counter argument under those circumstances . I can only judge rowling on her own actions and opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Don't take my word for it on the comorbidities, two studies i found in about 2 minutes on Google scholar.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/psychiatry/2014/971814/#discussion

"Consistent with most earlier researches, the majority of patients with gender dysphoria had psychiatric Axis I comorbidity."

"What this topic adds:

1. Children with gender dysphoria often experience a range of psychiatric comorbidities, with a high prevalence of mood and anxiety disorders, trauma, eating disorders and autism spectrum conditions, suicidality and self-harm.
    2. It is vitally important to consider psychiatric comorbidities when prioritising and sequencing treatments for children with gender dysphoria.
    3. The development of international treatment guidelines would provide greater consistency across diagnosis, treatment and ongoing management."

There's the former clinical head of the Tavistock explaining the same thing.

As for your strawman on blood letting and whatever other nonsense you posted you can waste someone else's time with that.

• Advertisement

When it's preceeded by homo or trans the hate or discrimination aspect is heavily implied, especially when used by outlets reporting on the subject, and I think that's the issue at hand for the other posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

I still think you have misread the tweet. I have selected the appropriate sentence

"The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women - ie, to male violence

I disagree. I know people who don't like gay people but have an 'each to their own' philosophy. Then there's poster shere who are constantly on about 'the trans agenda' or 'the gay agenda'- that's a phobia. No real 'hate' or discrimination attahed (at leats not always).

Drag Queen story hour: fears that it'll sexualise kids, but no problems if it's in front of adults. Fear, but not hate or discrimination.

The two don't go hand in hand.

if you feel the above examples don't constitute phobias, then we agree to disagree.

I know what you're saying, I just disagree with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

GB News 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

But the quote is the opposite of what you said she said.

Not to mention the idea that a transoman can't experience violence from men...? 

"The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women - ie, to male violence

On the debate as to whether JK Rowling is transphobic - I dont believe she it, based on her original statements it was a expression of difference in experience making a clear distinction between what is a biological female and a transwoman. That is undeniable.

What seems to have happened her though is the pile on to her genuine expression of views has resulted in a kind of "enemy of my enemy" situation. It is a base human instinct to gravitate more towards those who defend you and away from those who attack you. Rowling has submitted to this instinct in some ways. She could continue to express her legitimate views without unwittingly amplifying those more extreme transphobic views of some of those who have rowed in on her side. They have cleverly hijacked her side of the message. Someone reads her views. See she has also engaged with someone who has expressed the same view. Seeks out that individual and subsequently are drawn into the orbit of more extreme views.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

One time back in the dream time I took mushrooms and became a schizophrenic?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Don't take my word for it on the comorbidities, two studies i found in about 2 minutes on Google scholar.

I won’t, nor would I take the word of any of the former Governors of the Tavistock under whose oversight they shìt the bed, jumped out and left everyone else to clean up their mess. If you imagine their protestations were motivated by giving a shiny shyte about medicine, science, data or evidence, or even the patients under their care, and not simply by political shenanigans to disguise their own incompetence, then I’ve got some magic beans you might be interested in.

You started off about safeguarding, then veered off into lamenting the lack of medical and scientific rigour, then expect that I’m not already familiar with Marcus Evans or David Bell, as if anyone should take anything they have to say about anything seriously. I don’t think so, neither did the Tavistock’s medical director -

According to the trust, a review of Bell’s claims by its medical director, Dr Dinesh Sinha, “did not identify any immediate issues in relation to patient safety or failings in the overall approach taken by the service in responding to the needs of young people and families who access its support. As in any review of this nature, it did identify areas for improvement and made several recommendations. The trust’s chief executive is tasked with developing an action plan for how these will be implemented.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/23/child-transgender-service-governor-quits-chaos

It should have been obvious the point I was making about your chiming in with the former clinical head of the Tavistock about a return to ‘science based care’ - it’s precisely because of your ideas about ‘science based care’ which were shown to be pseudoscientific garbage, is the reason neither scientists nor clinicians put any stock in the those ideas any longer, and why science and medicine have moved on from them, albeit too late for some of the people who were the victims of their fcukwittery as they sought to make a name for themselves. Clinicians like John Money -

During his professional life, Money was respected as an expert on sexual behavior, especially known for his views that gender was learned rather than innate. However, it was later revealed that his most famous case of David Reimer, born Bruce Reimer, was fundamentally flawed. In 1966, a botched circumcision left eight-month-old Reimer without a penis. Money persuaded the baby's parents that sex reassignment surgery would be in Reimer's best interest. At the age of 22 months, Reimer underwent an orchiectomy, in which his testicles were surgically removed. He was reassigned to be raised as female and his name changed from Bruce to Brenda. Money further recommended hormone treatment, to which the parents agreed. Money then recommended a surgical procedure to create an artificial vagina, which the parents refused. Money published a number of papers reporting the reassignment as successful.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Money

You’ll find plenty of his works on Google Scholar too, only of any use as toilet paper, if you’re in a pinch.

What most people knew along, left leaning people can also disagree with gender ideology

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

They can, but when they do so they instantly become an enemy. You can agree with everything they believe for the most part, but just one belief that goes against the hivemind, will get you tossed to the other side, labelled as a right winger, because of literally one opinion.

I'd put a few quid on Anna apologizing very soon.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

She should know better, especially coming from the left. You never apologize to the left, even if you're left yourself.

Out of the loop, but what's TYT?

Left wingers having not embracing all 'woke' ideals is farily commonplace - why would they?!

The problem is that if you adopt one stance, then you automatically get labeled woke as if you accepted every single one of them. Hell, some of them would even class Jonathan Pie as woke because he said he supported activism against gey rights in Russia and in favour of XR demonstrations.

It's another of ironies of the anti-woke traits: for all their hatred of the 'woke' they adapt the exact same techniques and all-or-nothing approach that they decry the woke for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Short answer, transgengerism ideology is mostly embraced by the far left, not the moderate left. And far left being far left and radicalised, if you don't agree with everything you're far right and basically Hitler.

The Young Turks, a large news/current affairs commentary channel on YouTube. They have been very progressive or even woke in the past but the reality is starting to hit them, especially Ana.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Karppi

I’m really enjoying your posts at the moment, I have to say. I’m delighted to see a genuine independent thinker in this thread who isn’t corrupted by an anti-trans agenda or deranged at the idea of encountering “woke” people.

Which is why they're called the 'far' left.

Horseshoe politics - the further you get from center, the more totaltarain you get; and at that point, you're closer to the other side than the center.

Aww, thanks :)

I'm just a Gen Xer stuck in the middle with no blinkers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I’m delighted to see a genuine independent thinker

Repeating things because others have told you it's true, is the complete opposite of being an independent thinker, unless of course you consider parrots to be independent thinkers.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

I’m not sure how my own observation about another poster is me repeating what others have told me is true.

I really wish the so called “anti wokies” could stick to facts and logic instead of these emotive, ad-hominem attacks all the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement