Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I'd suggest a person should stop using the roman alphabet, Arabic numbers and the English language then if you don't want to dilute your Irish culture!

🤣🤣🤣

PS: Also the middle east origin religion will have to go as well I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭JohnnyFortune

There should only be 1 dominant culture in any country, that of the country. Ireland has no reason to be "celebrating African Culture" or any other culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,106 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What aspects of Irish culture are you worried about losing?

So you're not against multiculturalism, as long as there's one dominant culture if I'm reading you correctly.

The craic, the stories, the songs, the poetry, the scenery, the agriculture.

You literally only have to look across the water to see the culture wars going on. Sharia patrols, blocking streets to pray, culture clash riots and assaults between non-Irish, honour killings all on their way, or already happening, to Ireland.

you're going to lose agriculture and scenery because of immigrants? you know we are a net importer of food? most of the food irish people eat isn't even irish.

actually the agriculture industry would fall to pieces without immigrants, it's heavily reliant on cheap labour from abroad.

the craic? stories and songs?

you're all over the place and not worth talking to, have a nice day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

japan is an awesome place (except for the work culture) far easier to live in that Ireland , with plentiful abd cheapish housing and reasonable prices these days, compare to Ireland with its incessant crises at every turn.

Also Japan has plenty of foreigners that have moved there too. They just prefer to keep a tighter control on who settles there. Broadly it works for them.

More people, more land needed to house them, more land taken means less land for agriculture. We can forget about food security, we'll always be able to import enough food to feed ourselves, shure there's nothing in our history that we could learn lessons about on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭enricoh

We're back to the Vikings now, I thought ' sure Ireland had 8 million before the famine' was as bad as it'd get from posters but obviously not!

We took in 90k refugees and asylum seekers last year. We had an illegals amnesty, asylum seekers here 2 years or more amnesty with family repatriation for asylum seekers thrown in as a cherry on top. 220k pps numbers issued to non Irish last year.

We'll get to the bottom of this 'housing crisis' one day- I swear!

I'd say just one more go of electing fianna gael and fianna fail into power should do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

I dont mind EU immigration. At the end of the day French/ Spanish/ Irish/ British/ German culture is quite similar. Someone from Spain etc can move to Ireland and they 100% understand Irish culture.

EU immigration is also a two way street. Plenty EU citizens move to Ireland plenty Irish people move to the EU.

However is Pakistani and Nigerian culture similar to Irish culture? Not really.... does anyone from Ireland move to Pakistan or Nigeria? Any Irish person ever got a Pakistani passport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭high_tower

To the open borders crew here you do know that all foreigners aren’t the same don’t you ? And that some cultures are less comparable than others.

also that there a critical mass to this. More non local means less need to integrate thus more division and a watering down of the local culture.

fly over to England and go see Birmingham or Blackburn etc. tell me how multiculturalism has benefited those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,470 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That report doesn't mention that such moves are seen as hugely controversial in Iceland, with much media criticism and protests on the streets against the measures. Also, even Icelandic courts have been ruling against their own government and declaring some deportations as having been completely illegal under Icelandic law:

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Absolutely...we need to pull up the draw bridges on this country ASAP.

I see that nearly 60 school building projects have been put on ice due to budgetary constraints and the cost of building (blah blah).

One of the schools is in my local area. They have been in prefabs with black mold for nearly 25 years!

The absolute irony in increasing the population so rapidly, thus needing more school places and schools but the budget is blown housing refugees and lining the pockets of the cronies. No money in the pot for services.

As I keep coming back to...it's basic common sense and basic basic basic economics.

My head is blown by the sheer incompetence of this government. They have utterly changed the fabric of this country forever.

Post edited by Honesty Policy on

You are literally arguing for the government to try and stop the country's population from growing. What sort of country would adopt that (utterly bonkers) strategy as a key way of managing the national budget?

There isn't very much arguing in that post at all.

I'm surprised the hyperbole checker hasn't checked this post. 🤣

The cost of building increase is mainly a materials cost increase and nothing really to do with immigrants.

But then why let facts like that get in the way when you already made the assumption that everything wrong with this country is the immigrants or fordiners fault and nothing to do with successive government decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What good is cheap housing at reasonable prices when you are expected to work 60-80 hours as a salaryman, 6 days a week? You'd never actually be home to appreciate any of it.

Japan does have plenty of foreigners but they all live their in the knowledge they'll never truly integrate or become citizens. Forever a Gaijin.

I love Japan and Japanese culture but don't be fooled, it's not some haven of cultural purity where they've gotten everything right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I never said it was any kind of multicultural haven. You think Ireland is doing great for welcoming metric tonnes of migrants it simply can't handle?

Im not 'fooled' anything.

I said its a damn good place to live , food is amazing .housing abundant and even cheaper than Ireland now and super convenient. Not everybody needs to be a salaryman in Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

That's not what's she suggesting though, is it? Where is she advocating that the government forcibly cease population growth?

A key element of the anti-immigration proponents appears to be that the country is "full" and that a major way of addressing this would be to stop people from moving here (in order to ease pressures on housing and infrastructure etc).

But it seems a totally wrong headed approach. It is treating population growth as somehow unnatural and an aberration. According to this narrative, the reason there is a housing shortage is not because the government and others haven't built enough houses and apartments in the last 20 years, but because "there are too many people in the country".

Do you mean asylum seekers in the second category? Most of the evidence would suggest they are young and willing to work.

Arguably, the biggest drain on the nation's financial resources and those putting more pressure on infrastructure and health services are Irish people themselves - those who are economically inactive, the elderly etc. Also, we keep hearing about 'pressures' in general on housing, health services and schools and so on....this is coming from the entire 5m people living in the state, not just non nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭US3

Isn't it something like 60 or 70%of Nigerians here are unemployed?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

As I said before, some people's notions of immigration are from the 1800's.

No, there's nothing normal about population growth outstripping resource.

No, there's nothing natural about a growing population within a failing infrastructure.

No, a population doesn't and cannot grow infinitely within a finite world.

Have a look at a "bacterial growth curve" to see what happens with untethered growth.

This isn't the wild west of Far and Away with people hitching wagons to storm off 3000 miles thataway to claim unpopulated land centuries ago.

If the theory is escaping you, no problem, you can touch base with reality instead. 9% of the population of this tiny country has arrived in the last 5 years.

In that same timeframe, infrastructure has buckled worse and worse with each passing year. Housing, healthcare, education, social mobility and so forth.

Now, you can rejoin the 21st century and recognise the blindingly obvious connection, or you can stay put with Tom Cruise and shout yeehaw.

If you think it's sensible to populate the country with mass immigration before resources are there, well then you'll equally agree that all these people should be sent to the antarctic instead. Then you can point out to the antarctic government that the actual problem is not the people arriving, its that "tHeY jUsT haven't bUilT EnOUgH Houses!"

Also, just to say, the existence and necessity of an eviction ban beginning on April fools day is chefs kiss.

An actionable vote on immigration needs to be put to the people or ireland as soon as possible. Demand it of the politicians and cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Worked in a meat factory before. Plenty Irish work there. The reason they leave is either because the wages aren’t good enough to live on or they are worked like a slave by the company on 3 month rolling contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Nosler

In about 12 months the Irish population has went from 0% Ukrainian to 2% Ukrainian. That really isnt sustainable.

It's still around 70% foreign, many hired through agencies in Poland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭tinsofpeas

Regarding the above about employment, it's the ultimate conclusion of an economic mismatch.

If an Irish meat factory (or anything) employs people at adequate wages for ireland, adequate for the employees to live an agreeable standard of life in Ireland with all factors accounted such as quality accommodation, quality food, quality prospects of life improvement over time...Great!

That's a functioning economy operating within its parameters.

If an irish meat factory (or other) can only supply wages good enough to attract non-irish people from a DIFFERENT economic environment, say Brazil, and those wages are only good enough to produce a diminished quality of life, such as 6 people living in a home suitable for 2, or poorer food, or diminished prospects....do you know where that company needs to be relocated to? Yes, Brazil.

That's an example in a vacuum, as these discrepancies and misalignment of separate economic systems create far-reaching effects.

One sliced example would be the 6 Brazilians in overcrowded accommodation creating a local effect of over-demand, raising the cost of all accommodation, for everyone.

In effect, by recreating the initial conditions of a separate, other country's economy, you are essentially ALSO recreating that economy's overall environment. Its good for a few banking off it in the short term disruption, its disaster for everyone in the longer term.

Those are my thoughts on misplaced business practices. Put them where they belong.

This is part of the growing school of thought, obvious as it is, on the evidently destructive nature of globalist economy. It just doesn't work at scale.

For a tiny country like ireland, its practical hari-kari.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Again, that's not what the poster implied. You've blundered in, superimposing your narrative over what was actually stated.

You've made the assumption that Ireland is full, is a key tenet of those who favor a more restrictive immigration policy. In fact, the poster stated that in her specific area, the rapid, migration-driven population increase has placed significant pressure on education and housing. I don't know how that scenario is playing out in her locale. However, nowhere did she state that Ireland is full. That's an assumption that you immediately jumped to. You know what they say about assumptions 'Strazdas'..

Where has anybody on this thread claimed that population growth is an aberration? In fact, I've explained to you on multiple occasions that the Irish population grows naturally by a mean value of ~30K per year. The Irish population grew naturally by more than 750,000 from 2000 through 2022. I have never once encountered posters suggesting that this is an undesirable outcome. This is an argument fabricated in your own head, that you've once again regurgitated as irrelevant nonsense.

What I have heard posters suggest, is that extraordinary levels of migration-driven population growth are problematic and do place a burden on services. Just last year, Ireland admitted 75K Ukrainians and 13K IPAs, a 500% YoY increase. Are you implying that an almost 2% increase in the national population in a single year is natural and entirely expected? For context, translating this metric to the US, the migration-driven population growth in that country would have been 6.7 million people. Do you think that the US government and citizens of that nation, would perceive this as business as usual? Are you legitimately trying to maintain a straight face, suggesting that a migration-driven 2% increase in the population of any nation in a given year, is something entirely unremarkable?

There is some wrong-headed nonsense propagated on this site, that's for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭BoxcarWilliam99

We must cull the NGO sector if we are to ever regain control of our borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

It has made at least one good man rich beyond imagination anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Talk about a glacial pace, they've known about this for ages and only now are going to discuss it

Advertisement