Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭rrs

The keepers might come up in soccer if it's near the end of a game chasing a equaliser. Soccer pitch obviously not as big so having another player up constantly would be taking up space.

I don't think relying on the keeper all the time like Rafferty is good for the outfield players. It's like everything has to go through the keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'll keep saying it whenever someone suggests it.

Sure you will, so the players dictate the way the GAA is run?

That way they will end up ‘playing’ before empty stadia.

Carry on.

Get in touch with the GPA and tell them their members are doing too many hand passes. Probably best not to mention that you think the game is muck.

https://www.gaelicplayers.com/contact/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Was consumed by football for most of my life and really worried how I would deal with my retirement from playing but I have to be honest I don’t miss it at all and get it hard to watch any games these days. If there is one on and nothing else to do I might watch it but could take it or leave it. With the club, I’ll go to the odd championship game but that is more for my sons and the social aspect. The games are terrible spectacles and this is senior level. My time playing was a mix of senior and junior (2nd team) and I always enjoyed the junior way more, it was more of just go out and play traditional football. I endured the last 3 - 4 years in of my time in the senior team, as a forward it was horrible, no space to run into with 2 sweepers sitting constantly in front of you.

So what to do, I’d start with going down to 13 or 12 players - the pitches haven’t changed in size but the players are way fitter and cover the ground better at every level of the game.

The next thing would be the hand pass, you can’t ban it but I’d make is harder by using the one hand only, most hand passes are not being correctly done and allowing 2 hands makes it more of a throw - the hand holding the ball moves towards the intended target providing the direction and let’s be honest most of the lift. Using the same hand does bring up the same problem hurling has but it shouldn’t be as bad with the large ball helping to see if a player has thrown or striked the ball another option would be a hand pass can only come with a single strike of the ball after it last touched the foot, imagine a player soloing and flicking the ball to a teammate with one hand just before he is tackled.

Why would I not mention that the game needs a make over, in my opinion.

Do I have to blindly defend everything with my eyes closed like some on these pages?

I’d be on to GAA management not a players ‘union’ if I wanted real response.

I suggested that very approach on the 13th in reaction to your post about a "Caveman Mentality". I pasted it below to save you looking it up.

It won't happen by people coming on the internet calling the game muck telling people they are cavemen. Just because you have an obsession with the handpass. If you are not already a member, join a club. Explain to the players about how they are doing it all wrong. Get the club to persuade the County delegate to Congress to propose your ideas. It does need a two thirds majority, but anything sensible like making 8 players wear armbands is bound to go through.

Keep ignoring the elephant in the room, that’s the way to ensure stagnation and closed mind syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A reduction to 13 players might be a good thing , the mark should only be for overhead catches in midfield between the 30’s or do away with it altogether. Its stupid players catching a waist height ball and getting a mark . My memory of football in the ‘80s was great but in the ‘86 final I remember Kerry hand passing up the pitch for a pal into the square for Pat Spillane to palm in . So perhaps perhaps a limit on handpasses before the ball has to be kicked into the full forward line . I don’t know but a running handpass game through every line isn’t great to watch

• Advertisement

I sometimes see players challenging for the ball above head height, and the ball breaks and one of them gains possession before it is grounded, and calls for a mark. What is the ruing then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭crusd

Changing rules should try to encourage the "positive" rather than punish the "negative". I would anticipate limiting the number of handpasses could have the unintended consequence of creating "rucks". Team not in possession incentivised to prevent the foot pass by surrounding player in possession who is left with no option to get rid of the ball.

An example of a positive rule change designed to encourage more attacking play impacting a sport in a positive way is the 50-22 in rugby. This is the type of innovative thinking we need.

It hasn't really been tried to know, but lot teams just hand pass for the sake of it. Less hand passing and more heads up kicking would be better.Donegal were always a hand passing team. I remember watching them hand pass the whole way up the field and fisted over the bar. They say the conditions in Donegal being coastal country mean they are more prone to hand passing, but the coaches have a big part in the club game.

There was a Senior club game in Donegal last year which finished 3pts to 2pts.

1924 All Ireland Final 0-04 to 0-03. 1927 0-05 to 0-03.

Like Jackie Carey once said when asked what Gaelic Football was like

”It’s played on a field three miles long two miles wide with an iron ball and bare feet”

In other words it’s no use putting up obscure stats from almost a century ago.

It proves nothing…..it’s 2023, and the main issue for discussion is football in 2023.

What happened a century ago is irrelevant.

There is nothing, absolutely nothing, stopping teams playing football from the 1920's or 1960's. Same basic rules. But unless both teams agreed, the one sticking to the old ways, would get walloped.

To satisfy the internet, they should both agree that their keepers will stay at home, nobody will pass back to him, he will send kickouts more than 50 yards, there will be no marks claimed, and the objective will be to kick the ball as far as possible on every occasion. It worked grand for 100 years until the players and coaches discovered that they could do better by retaining possession, even if it meant going backwards or sideways. The old way is not coming back, and the new experiment has been running long enough now to prove that it gets the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Ok, so what happens if one team plays the all attack together but the othetr tea, leave forwards in the opposition half, if the defending team get the ball, they just kick it straight up to 6 unmarked forwards.

Perfect example of how difficult it is to dispossess a player in possession on a one to one encounter.

Dublin player textbook protecting the ball keeping his body between the red player and the ball….

Red player has no chance of a dispossession.

They're not playing rugby though, the Dublin player is required to release the ball to hop it, kick it or handpass it.

Defending is about more than disposession anyway, the Louth player is positioned in between the Dublin player and the direction he wants to go. The Louth player is ensuring that the Dublin player isn't being given the time and space to easily place a pass or take a shot.

Also, keeping the ball between your body and your opponent is common sense and universal to pretty much any sport that involves a ball. It's not exactly a modern phenomenon either. That's a fairly weak stick to try and beat gaelic football with.

They get a good opportunity to reduce the defecit from 20/30 points to 17/27 points?

• Advertisement

Yeah dragging up a score from 100 years ago proves a lot.

At least my information is accurate, unlike the post about the Donegal scoreline. That happened in 2016, not 2022. And what does it prove?

what does your point prove exactly? Football was slower paced 100 years ago. Club teams never mind County team are all on S/C programs now and have a greater level of fitness ,which should be a higher speed game with more scores.

There was a game last June bank holiday with the sun shining and finnished 1-4 to 1-1

https://www.donegaldaily.com/2022/06/05/gaa-kilcar-pip-st-eunans-in-low-scoring-encounter/

I’m not trying to “beat Gaelic Football” with any stick……. Just trying to suggest ideas to improve it.

I would respectfully suggest the the vast majority of poster input here have issues with the propensity of handpassing

in modern Gaelic Football.

Thats all…no agenda other than that….all for the good of the game, dude.

You might be the only one that counts handpasses when watching games on TV. How many was it you saw, 40? 47?.

I don’t think so, and I watched those games to verify my points.

29 to be exact, you might try it sometime might bring a dose of reality into your thinking.

Im all for improving Gaelic Football and moving on,not ignoring the obvious deficiencies of the game as there are for all games.

Thats life, things change, we move on, we evaluate, we suggest.

We don’t back into a corner and spout bile on everyone who sees the elephant in the room.

Its all positive stuff hopefully.

The thread is founded on bile. And you have supported the contention that the game is muck.

"Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?"

29 to be exact, but to be more exact you said 47 on the 13th.

On a recent tv game I counted 47 hand passes in a passage of play without the opposition touching the ball!

Different game my friend, the 29 was the Tyrone Monaghan game, and there were two kick passes embeddded there.

You seem very defensive on all this, very negative and close minded?

• Advertisement

I'm using the blanket defence.

Advertisement