Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Submersible water pump - low pressure and low flow

• 21-03-2023 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭

Have a water well and got a new Submersible water pump fitted about 10 years ago.

over the last year or so I noticed that the water pressure has be getting worse and worse. When we first got it if i turned on the garden hose it would nearly blow my hand away with the power it had but now its not much better than gravity fed hose. I noticed also that after a few minutes that the flow goes to c**p and i assume its due to the pressure vessel being emptied.

This had me worried that there was two possible causes. If there are other please let me know

1. well water was low or empty
    2. the pump inlet was blocked with stuff.

I got a hose put it down the well to the top of the water and left it run for a few minutes while shaking it and bang the pressure was far better so I assume that the hose freed whatever was blocking the input but within 30 minutes it was gone to c**p again so i assume the issue is 2. I also think the inlet may be a bit high but its probably not going to be an easy task to get it down deeper.

I can see there is a rope at the top of the well connected to the pump and is it as simple as me pulling it up to clean the pump inlet or am I better to get the pump serviced or is even cleaning the inlet part of a service.

Any other suggestion or advise would be welcome.

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭youtheman

You need to do some basic fault finding. Pull them pump and see if the inlet or outlet is blocked. Put it into a bucket of water and see how it performs. If it is 'turning' and there is no blockage then it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

I literally got the pump serviced like 30 minutes ago and he had to change 3 things and fix the water logged pressure vessel. I had the water running for over 10 minutes straight with no loss of pressure or flow so it looks like the pump was grand it was another few things like the pressure vessel being water logged and a value or two needing changing.

I was drawing a lot of conclusions and there wasn't much wrong in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sure, the 'balloon' in the pressure vessel loses air over time. That's what works against the water in the tank and pushes it towards your taps. You can usually put a standard tyre foot pump on the valve at one end of the pressure tank and inflate it. But next time you see the plumber get them to explain the procedure and write it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭grimeire

He said the same he connected it to a compressor and managed to re balance the pressure vessel with that. He had to change other parts too so its probably a good thing I had them come out.

The thing has been in over 10 years and never was serviced so for the 250 i paid I cant complain. He was saying that i should be getting this serviced every 1-2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah that's what our lad said to me, but hard to get him on the phone to answer or reply to messages. Must try again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement