Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

The global financial system is fecked, in all honestly. The money printing over the last few years probably bought some times, but ultimately, the infinite growth model can't go on forever.

What really worries me is not so much the fallout from the next major financial disaster but rather what the powers that be may do to try to save the system. One needs only to look to something like the WEF to see the kind of utter lunatics and madmen who are at work in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I can see there being a real issue here over the next 12 months as rates increase, mortgage affordability is going to be an issue for a lot of people and this country does not do house repossessions in any meaningful way if this had come at any other time we may of seen a blip but when you add in the cost of living pressures, energy crisis and homeless crisis this is going to be a real test for the lads in government. What do they do? You only have to look at the eviction ban to see that no matter what decision they make its going to cause a knock on effect. I would hazard a guess most on here knows someone living in a house they have just stopped paying the mortgage and with our legal system it enables them to stay put ad infinitum, leaving the banks on the hook for a mortgage that is not getting paid and an asset they cannot repossess. This before even looking into the abyss that is the commercial property sector.

We wll also see a lot more properties coming on stream to buy (maybe rent) from the governments enforcement of planning permission on AirBnBs 12k is the number being discussed

Yeah but those who own the properties are not going to wait till the end of the year and have this decision forced on them and I can see a lot heading for the exit door over the next 6 months. I also believe its fanciful the gov think that the majority of those who own the properties will just rent then after the way the game has been stacked against landlords over the last couple of years I cant see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It will similar to the rush to the door when they brought in the renters tax credits last year. There will be many non-tax-compliant ones who will want to get out before they are caught!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Don't see how the dysfunction can be fixed without a huge clear-out of vested interests. And there is no political will on the horizon for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Even the healy raes were split on the eviction ban, I don't think politics can get away with it for too much longer.

Politicians of a particular colour are amongst the biggest vested interest. They still think higher house prices get more votes, that dynamic is changing as everything else is sacrificed to maintain them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Probably now at the stage of only being 1 or 2 elections away from a scorched-earth hard left government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Michael Healy Rae is crafty. He realised that an extension of the ban would give leverage for possible other concessions

• Registered Users Posts: 34,828 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do we actually know if there was a rush to the door when the renters tax credit was brought in or is that an assumption? It's a logical assumption, but an assumption nonetheless. I don't remember reading anything about it anywhere but I may have missed something.

Anecdotally, folks I know who are in dubious cash only rental situations are all still in said dubious cash only rental situations, nobody was turfed out and nothing was sold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,471 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I disagree, I expect it to be enforced like speeding, some unlucky ones will get caught, the vast majority will not. You are currently required to have planning for short lets, and yet there have been virtually no applications. Also, as long as there is a shortage of hotel rooms, local councils will know that short lets will be essential for tourism/local businesses.

This is all just playing a tune for the audience.

Are the gov not bringing in plans to fine those who are now found to be in breach of the short term let planning breach? Sure we will see if we see a huge number of properties hitting the market in the next few months then we will know the airbnb landlords are running for the hills

There is more to it than that. There as an article a few months ago where a Dublin CoCo supervisor outlined what would be involved in getting a prosecution, I’m sure the article is linked earlier in this thread. Council staff, two, have to observe short let tenants actually in the property, they must also confirm that it is the property owner who is short letting without planning rather than a tenant. The new legislation places a responsibility on sites like Airbnb to ensure planning is in place, but it is easy to find shortlets on other platforms not as compliant as Airbnb.

The existing legislation on short-lets make absolutely no difference, neither will the new legislation. The fines are equivalent to a couple of weeks rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Any assumption that LL's are less compliant than any other sections of business/ society is waffle. There is no indication that the renter's tax credit increase numbers exiting. These was 40+k left since 2016 so it was a case of trying to shut the door when the horse had bolted

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Wow it’s incredible how the legal system has us tied up in knots where a simple check cannot be practically done.

Here is how I would conduct these checks:

1. Do you pay LPT?

If so, please furnish your declaration of earnings from revenue that you have not received any funds from Airbnb.

If you have received funds from Airbnb, please find attached:

• Antisocial usage of property charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

They are not really interested in getting rid of Airbnb. Like anything in politics theses days its a populist show.

Airbnb automatically forward all income gained from the site by each Host to Revenue, so they already have that information.

Airbnb is only one platform, others sites such as Facebook, Bookings.com and the myriad of other sites you can book shortlets on, do not have that agreement with Revenue as the guest has the option of paying directly/in cash rather than through the site.

LPT is paid by the property owner, a tenant who uses Airbnb for income would not be required to make such a declaration.

Up until we see the new Legislation, advertising alone is not proof that the Host actually had short let guests anymore than having a fast car is proof that you broke the speed limit. So at present, the LA have to actually catch the Host in the act of hosting guests for a short duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

The LAs are gonna be mighty busy snooping on AirBnB landlords and processing house sale offers to private landlords for eviction threatened tenants, it would seem.

The Dublin CoCo guy, said new staff would have to be hired and trained, plus given transport etc, so my money is on this being like the speed campaigns (sorry for using the same analogy again), there will be a few prosecutions occasionally, then they will accept that short let’s bring much needed visitors/money to areas where there are no available hotel rooms.

I know people working in the CoCo in my area, they are hugely understaffed, I’m not sure where the personnel are going to come from if other departments are already crying out for staff.

• Advertisement

It’s a very generous interpretation there to favour anti-social usage of property.

If a property is used for short term lets, then the property owner should pay the anti-social usage charge. He can take it up with his tenant if they are subletting it without his permission.

Exactly. Unless the LA staff are fluting about & scratching their proverbials all day, where are they going to find the time to complete all of these additional tasks?

It feels very much like a govt lip service policy that has not been thought through, costed or funded.

I’m not sure where the “anti social charge” aspect come from. Whilst I have no doubt some guests cause disturbance, my own experience is that over the last 5 years no guests have ever disturbed the neighbours. I know this because we used to live in the house and meet our former neighbours regularly, I always ask them to let me know if there are any problems. They said there never has been. So I don’t think you can categorise shortlet guests as antisocial, and not do the same with tenants. At least the guests leave on a Sunday evening, an antisocial tenant could be there for years.

Exactly, considering staff cannot be in more than one place at once, they are either going to have to take on a huge volume of staff to enforce this, or have a few staff sitting in a car outside a suspected short let for days waiting for a guest to turn up. Then they have to hope that the guest will answer the questions asked and confirm that they are shortlet guests.

Lots of bizarro work creation fantasies here.

Here is the list of short term letting companies {airBnb, ..., facebook}.

Revenue hold this list and update this list weekly.

If you receive money from any of these companies, revenue charge you x%.

There is no need for a crack team of government agents to catch you red handed or any of that silly nonsense.

Polluter pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭downtheroad

They can start quickly by looking at their own staff

https://www.ontheditch.com/dublin-city-council-architect/

Indeed. And those same LAs will no doubt soon have targets to purchase x number of private rental properties as part of the eviction ban fall out.

I expect this will take A LOT of resource to manage. And it almost certainly wont be additionally funded resource.

What? Do you have any insight into this beyond “polluter pays”?

Airbnb accept bookings and payments, deduct their fee and then pay the host. Sites like bookings.com, Facebook, and the many other sites when you google “holiday let’s Ireland” are just advertising sites, facilitators, they may not have records of bookings and do not process payments, so cannot forward income information or even confirm that a guest stayed there.

And yes, the “silly nonsense” , otherwise known as evidence of wrongdoing, is necessary if a prosecution is to succeed.

Short term lets are inherently anti-social.

Lessors use their domestic property to extract money from foreigners.

While local people live with their parents into their 30s.

You didn't think you were doing us a favour did you?

If your car goes through the m50, do you pay the toll? Only if the minister for transport signs an affadavit to say that he witnessed your hands on the steering wheel?

No. The car goes through, the owner pays.

We don't need fantasies about huge burdens of proof.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of guests who have stayed in my Airbnb have been Irish, families or friends away for short stays who want to share a property rather than a hotel, and want to be able to self cater.

There is nothing inherently anti social about that. As I said, there is no doubt that some people do experience noise disruption, but to say all guests cause it is ill informed.

Advertisement