Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseeding lawn tips

Options
  • 23-03-2023 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all

Thinking of dethatching the lawn when the weather dries up, have a towed dethatcher for the ride on and was just going to overseed the bare patches then with grass seed via a broadcast spreader and then fertilise also. Will the seed be effective if just spread and watered in? I don't intend on using any new topsoil etc as it's too big if an area

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A little roller would ensure soil/seed contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I think it's a tricky balance. The soil needs to warm up but you also need the rain. I do similar in april 2020 and it was slow going to fill in the bare spots

End of August sep was much much better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

How long should you see signs of grass growth after planting seeds. I planted seeds 2 weeks ago and all I see are weeds.

Very early for setting grass. Weather too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Manta400r

Ah yeah at this rate anyways it'll be mid April, will give it a light rolling afterwards so thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Warm and moist is the ideal condition to get fast growth. There is a YouTube fella that seems to know the story

https://youtu.be/wyN5YFB81sw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,843 ✭✭✭billyhead

Will I have to lay down more seed at a later stage or will the seed already laid down eventually germinate?

Honestly don't know, but you should know in 10/14 days.

Advertisement