Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennedy's Bar

Options
  • 27-05-2022 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was in here tonight https://www.kennedyspub.ie/

Lots of people, locals and tourists. Pint of beer = €6.50. Food on expensive side and very average.

Reason I am posting is the toilet. It was disgusting, p#ss everywhere. I asked the staff to give it a quick clean in a very nice way, which they said they would. It was never done, below is what it looked like after an hour of this request. By the way, there were loads of staff working.

A picture speaks a thousand words. Make up your own mind....

I for one am embarassed, as I can only imagine what the.m majority of tourists will be saying to all their family and friends,when they get back home.

I won't be back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

That really don’t look “that bad”

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭elgicko

If you consider standing in pi#s, not that bad, no problem. I can only imagine the establishments you frequent.

When punters are in any bar, especially a bar that charges a premium, is it too much to ask to have a clean toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jacob13

It's disgusting. I don't go out that much but when I do its always the same, having to tip toe around people's piss and sometimes some dirts shite on the floor in the jacks . It's all the alcohols fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

what's this "think of the tourists" crap that some people come out with?

Is it the new "think of the children / elderly / vulnerable" (delete as appropriate) comment that is meant to mean something?

I been to many countries over the years and I've seen toilets in far worse condition even in such law abiding places like Frankfurt & Dusseldorf. I've never thought anything about it other than "yeuch". I certainly would not brandish an entire country or an entire holiday as ruined by a dirty toilet in a pub or restaurant.

Yes, it should be clean. But for all patrons - not just "tourists". So cut the "Think of the XXX" rubbish commentary as if its something on national importance. Dirty toilets are caused by dirty people

• Registered Users Posts: 13 end_101

Post about any outlandish thing in Ireland, be it a shocking statistic or sub-standards in any area and there's always one to say "it's not that bad".

The thing is, it's not that bad, it's brutal, some people just cannot see the degenerative effects in all aspects of daily life if you haven't been attention to it over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭deezell

I suppose a manky jax doesn't come under the heading 'rip-off'. Bog-off maybe. Here's a rip-off. A glass of house Cab Sauv to go with a nondescript bar meal (both bar and food) in the Johnstown Hotel in Enfield... €10!!! In the public bar. Not their restaurant. Their public bar. I had one pint instead, and Fekd-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was the locals or the tourists who haven't learned how to use a toilet properly?

My money's on the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here is a receipt from a cafe in Alvor in the Algarve, sitting down:

Coffee with milk = 85c

Americano = 65

Small custard pastry = 0.60

Labour costs here are 2.5x the levels in Portugal.

Multiply by 2.5:

Coffee with milk = 2.13

Americano = 1.63

Small custard pastry = 1.50

How much is an Americano in Ireland? Maybe 2.50?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Tourists and locals are as bad as eachother. The onus is on the staff to clean though. Any toilet will end up that way in a public place of not cleaned regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Don't know the average for Americano to sit-in but I just paid €3 for black coffee to takeaway in a local pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

2.50 at least sitting in.

Hmmm, I fancy a coffee now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If you ever go to Berlin it's like they try and outdo each other to see who can have the worst jacks. USA are infamous for terrible toilets too. Ireland generally is pretty good I find.

6.50 a pint just seems to be normal nowadays, it's 6 pounds 50 for a pint in my local pub here in East London ffs, although this is a trendy neck of the woods.

Got a pint of Guinness for 4.40 in Donegal recently.

Was a beautiful pint at a beautiful price in a beautiful location during some rare beautiful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

GBP 2.90 for a pint in central Manchester

That's about 3.50.

https://tandlemanbeerblog.blogspot.com/2022/07/two-fab-pubs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Oh I did have a few pints in Swords not long ago, 2.40e a pint for some delicious English cream ale. It was a Wetherspoons of course.

1 latte

1 capoucino

1 americano

Lanzarote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Was in The John Barry pub in Wexford recently. Ordered a Guinness and Heineken. Handed the barman €20 - got €10 + change back. I was shocked. Two pints for under a tenner ! .... Man I'm too used to Dublin prices.

We really are been ridden hard in Ireland no matter what they tell us. 😂😂😂

Now that we're free to travel, I think we need a separate thread to post price comparisons on.

• Advertisement

Did you see the Brennans' TV program the other night, they were helping a couple do up their Caravan camping park/9 hole golf course, and restaurant bar. They decided to franchise the food end, new guy put a coffee shop in it, €3.00 for a coffee. On a camp site.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

try a jacks in paris , that isn't too bad aint clean though

Boil ur piss it would. Villa in lanzarote with private pool 5 beds 2 ensuites 3000 for 14 nights. You'd be hard pressed to get a bungalow in kerry or galway for that. Indeed a ride ireland is. 2 sambos 2 soups and chips in naas was 54 quid a few weeks back. I can get two of the best fillet steaks with trimmings and 4 beers here for that and leaving a tip.

We wanted a weekend away with herself in october. 450 euro for 2 nights in a hotel in tullamore. Lol.

The annoying bit is some will try and justify it and tell is its not gouging but a factor of other issues.

Bollix. Its pure gouging and robbery in my eyes.

You want ripoff? Check out this. I walked up to the clubhouse bar of the Carton hotel where I bought a couple of drinks. Its an expensive place, I was there on an invite, so I was expecting a dear pint Price of a pint and a half on the drinks menu, €6.90 and €3.95. What shocked when I checked my receipt later was the addition of 10% service charge, for serving myself. Absolute gouging. And note on the receipt, they have a space for a TIP ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Can you not ask for a refund on the service charge?

There is a trend now for adding it to the bill, but my understanding is you can have it refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You can ask for it to be removed. But good luck with the 75% of staff that have no idea how to do so and will make you wait ages for a manager...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Call it clamping and get the suckers to pay a premium to piss outside.

🙈🙉🙊

I did on the next round, there was 4 drinks on it.

There's shocking gouging going on with the price of a glass of wine. Since the minimum retail price shenanigans, people are paying €8/bottle for what was cheap €4.99 plonk. Thing is, that price hike doesn't apply to restaurants, they still buy at the wholesale price, but are now changing €8 and €9 for a short measure of table wine, taking 5 or even 6 glasses from a 75cl bottle that costs them €5 or €6. €9 for 12.5cl of cheap wine.

€6.90 in Carton sounds about right for a pint of Larger. It's €6.50 everywhere else in Maynooth so I'm not shocked.

But yeh I'd have argued about the service charge. That's theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭suave.4u

will anything change? I guess not.

Prices will only go up

Advertisement