Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest live concert you've ever attended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

Anyone here know if Hall n Oates are coming back over?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well ed, didn't know you were there as well - yes a great concert, but I've one or two others thar were better, that I'll post about later

In the meantime, from that very evening

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So here goes

Mr Bowie, Milton Keynes, 1983 was fantastic

Almost as good as Mr Mercury at Knebworth in 1986 (his last gig with Queen)

But bring them both onto the same bill, at Wembley, with the Who, Elton, Mr McCartney and a few others, this one will never be matched for me:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

oh my god, that's amazing got my eyebrows singed by the pyrotechnics.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

Thin Lizzy RDS 1979

It was actually 1982. That was the Renegade tour, unreal show! It was my first "real" concert !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Nirvana, Kings Hall belfast June 1992. Cobain diving through the bass drum backwards, destroying himself and not noticing.

Breeders and teenage fanclub as support. Epic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

haha **what** a gig you were at. Grohl couldnt help himself lashing out the Sunday Bloody Sunday drumline intro.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭bnt

David Sylvian has been involved in two of my favourite concerts: firstly, his collaboration with Robert Fripp, they played at the Royal Albert Hall in December 1992 or so. I remember it well because I had a badly sprained ankle at the time and barely made it there. The band with them was on top form. The other time was when he played solo at the Royal Festival Hall at the Southbank Centre, also in London: the place was packed but he kept the audience in the palm of his hand with just a guitar, a keyboard, and his voice.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

Cant remember what years but my favourites were Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney ( only went because we got free tickets right up the front, what a night, he was brilliant), Springsteen in Cork, fantastic day due to weather and atmosphere but felt he could have done a few more hits, Don Henley was brilliant in the Marquee.

I'd swap every concert I've been to if I could have just seen Thin Lizzy live, very jealous of those that got to see them.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My dad always goes on about the Thin Lizzy gig he saw in Blackrock Park back in 1971. Was a free family day out kind of a thing, the lucky fecker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

My friend saw them in Cork city hall early 80s, l think I actually hate him for it.☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Great stories in here, lads. I do enjoy the best ever gigs threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fastpud

Carter the unstoppable sex machine in McGonagles early 90s. One guitarist, one singer + backing tape = bedlam. Epic fun.

Rammstein in Cardiff last year was another experience all together - sensory overload

• Registered Users Posts: 34,953 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Any Coil fans here? Fairly out there (but extremely influential) avant-garde cult experimental/electronic/Industrial band formed in 1982 and ran till 2005.

I was really starting to get into listening to them in my early 20s back when I was in art college and coincidentally they announced a Dublin show - in City Hall. Back in 2004.

Went with a few mates, (stoned out of our minds!) and was absolutely blown away. I'd never seen a performance in City hall and the acoustics were really something else in a marble domed room.

We were right up the front and the stage was only a foot or two off the ground. Really overall incredible experience.

Sadly The lead singer, Jhonn Balance actually died two weeks later by falling off a balcony in his house.

The Dublin show we were at ended up being the final show of an almost 25 year career. Literally one of those shows that has become legendary among a very rabid fanbase and I feel incredibly lucky to have been there.

They actually released a box set called 'Colour, Sound Oblivion' with all of the recordings they could find of their shows over the years, it's book ended by the Dublin show.

It's great, you can see early twenty-something me and my friends in the front row, great little snapshot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Daryl Hall (with special guest Todd Rundgren) is playing Hammersmith Odeon in July and is also on the bill with Billy Joel in Hyde Park. I'd love if they added a Dublin date, but I don't think that's likely. Todd has never played here; I had to go see him in the UK.

No news of Daryl Hall and John Oates returning. Their 2014 Olympia gig was a gem.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

30 Something has just been reissued in a 3CD+DVD set. The DVD is of the Brixton gig from June 1991 - reminds me so much of that McGonagles concert (October 1991)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

A few gigs really stand out for me:

Rolling Stones - Point Depot 2003

U2 - RDS 1993

Paul McCartney - RDS 2003

Guns N Roses - Seville 1992

Simon & Garfunkel - RDS 2004

Crosby & Nash - Vicar St 2005

Leonard Cohen - Kilmainham 2008

Simple Minds - Croke Park 1986

Roger Waters The Wall Live - o2 Dublin 2011

Tom Petty - O2 Dublin 2012

Also I remember seeing the Pogues in the late 80s in the Olympia and it was a fantastic gig

• Registered Users Posts: 24,128 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Pixies / Arcade Fire double header at Marlay Park, 2014

Kings of Leon, 2.3 Arena reopening show, 2010

Depeche Mode, Mercedes Benz Arena Berlin, 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

oh god the pogues derby assembly rooms sometime in the mid 90's possibly the most mental gig I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Edser

Some that stand out for me

Queen in Slane - great venue, great concert

Suede in the Olympia - wasn't expecting much but was a great gig

Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats in the Olympia - unbelievable energy, crowd was amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Prodigy - Feila 94. Hearing all the new Jilted Generation for the first time in a stadium setting was mind blowing and absolutely no drugs were involved! :D

Muse - 3 arena 2016 for the Drones tour. Epic heavy set and visually the best show I've ever seen. A great return to form after getting a bit soft with the previous tours.

Manic Street Preachers - Point 99. Even though they were way past their live peak of 1994 it was an incredible show. So so much energy that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

That McGonagles gig was a good one. Also saw them in the SFX, Tivoli, Mean Fiddler, Feile and Glastonbury.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 40 camanstar

That was probably the Thunder and Lightening tour in 1983, played Cork City Hall and then The RDS, I was at both...sorry! Also saw them in the first event held in Slane Castle. That was The Chinatown tour as far as I can remember.

16th August 1981

THIN LIZZY

U2/Hazel O’Connor/Rose Tattoo/Sweet Savage/The Bureau/Megahype

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Féile 92 gig was fab; they used it on the 1992 The Love Album CD reissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Radio head RDS in 97 was great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Been avoiding this thread as it's the definition of click bait but I'll leave these on the table and walk away

# 6. Bowie - Sound and Vision Tour - Point Depot (a/v orgasm)

# 5 Mr. Cohen - Point depot (better than the Kilmainham (attended Kilmainham too))

# 4 Page / Plant - Unledded tour - Point depot 95'ish(? it's hazy, I am old)

# 3 Neil Finn - Olympia 2014 (a 3 hour marathon, love that man)

# 2 Depeche Mode - Devotional (Point Depot - dear sweet baby personal jesus)

# 1 David Byrne/St Vincent - 2013 EP - that set, if you were there, then you know.

NB : My first loves are suede, msp and LCD, have seen all multiple times but none have gotten the blood flowing like the above (and all three are epic in concert).

NB++ : some one previously in this thread mentioned The Cult, they played the point at some point in the early 90's with ashbury on vocals, they were meh, seriously meh, you missed **** all.

Post edited by scruff monkey on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Rem - Green tour RDS. I'm guessing 1989

Depeche Mode - Point mid 2000s Epic.

Bon Jovi - RDS. Thunder and Lighting Storm.

Aerosmith - Point. So loud.

Waterboys - in the middle of nowhere in Cork somewhere I guess early 90s. I think it was a hall or gym. One of those saga of a weekend/road movie with the gig in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭tmh106

Rem - Green tour RDS. I'm guessing 1989

Yes, 1989, I was at it too, still have the T-shirt ;-)

Memorable also for me because support act was The Go Betweens, one of my favourite bands, but that was the only time I saw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Only time I saw REM. Was dragged to it by someone. REM were never my thing but that gig always stood out as one of the best live band performances I've been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

wrong thread

Advertisement