Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I'm not quite sure but it looks like sub kingdoms or tuatha within a larger one if you look at the Donegal Tir Chonaill it's clearer. The black lines seem to be rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Map of Chinese ethnic groups,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,357 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd guess the white is the Norman areas, which would not at that stage be described as 'Gaelic'. Dermot MacMurrough has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I think the white part is the new English where as you have old English or Norman's in coloured bits too. Names like Mac William in Mayo who are a split from Burke family that arrived from Norwich. McSiurtan/Jordan and MacCostello/Costello both Norman's who displaced Geals but over time embraced Gealic Culture. I read once this was done so they wouldn't have to send resources on the Crusades But over time they intermarried with powerful Gealic families too and became more Irish than the Irish as the story goes.

• Advertisement

You could well be right, I really don't know that much about it, but Power in Waterford certainly was not new English, it was all down to De Paor who came with the Normans in the 12th century.

After watching, again , the Motorcycle Diaries . Here a map of the trip young medical student Ernesto Rafael Guevara de la Serna , AKA Che Guervara took as a young man with his friend..

Post edited by cj maxx on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically that map is using five ;) A sphere can also be done with four colours.

"in a map with four regions, each touching the other three, one of them is completely enclosed by the others" - https://nrich.maths.org/6291

Very simple concept. Took 124 years to get from that to proof that only four colours were needed.

Turned out it wasn't very interesting as it needed a computer to go through an atlas of every possible combination of simplified maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Why does the white extend to the dingle peninsula, was no english or normans out there??

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Thanks I learned something new today - I hadn't realised that many of the different languages of China are in fact languages of the Han Chinese.

This shows the map of the different languages in use in China and for example Cantonese is a Han Chinese language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great maps posted up today, guys! Learned some new things. 👍👍

Here’s a beautiful historic 1832 map of the old London borough of St. Marylebone showing Regents Park and Camden Town which was still just about physically separate from London’s existing built up area.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Very interesting. I'm surprised that it's more of an east/west split. I would have put it more north/south and the other way round. Shows what I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Love those historic maps. I want to get something like that, printed and hang it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I love the little images of the buildings , elevation and front.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Map of Irish ancestry of USA population by county, 2012

Geographical distribution is pretty much as one would expect. The proportion of Americans with Irish ancestry has been in decline for a number of decades now.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

John Ogilby (1600-1676) was the Scottish cartographer who createed Britannia, the first British road atlas. According to Wikipedia:

In 1674 Ogilby had been appointed "His Majesty's Cosmographer and Geographic Printer" to King Charles II and in 1675 issued his Britannia atlas of 1675 which included such details as the configurations of hills and the relative size of towns. One hundred strip road maps are shown, accompanied by a double-sided page of text giving additional advice for the map's use, notes on the towns shown and the alternative pronunciations of their name. Another innovation was Ogilby's scale of one inch to the mile (1:63360). These are marked and numbered on each map, the miles further being divided into furlongs.[6] At that period some of the minor roads used the local mile rather than the standard mile of 1760 standard yards which Ogilby adopted in his atlas, setting the standard for road maps in future.[7] In his 2008 television series Terry Jones suggested that one of the map's purposes might have been to facilitate a Catholic takeover of the kingdom, a hypothesis supported by historian Alan Ereira.

The Continuation of the Road from LONDON to Holyhead Comencing at the City of CHESTER (1675)...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement

This reminded me of

XKCD on If you were to drain the oceans

At 200 meters, the map is starting to look weird. New islands are appearing. The Netherlands now control much of Europe.

The Netherlands expand north.

The Netherlands cross the new land bridge into North America.

This is what the map looks like when the drain finally empties.

Where has all the water gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The inside of the Earth will be very full and feel like it will bring up the water again.

All explained on the link If you were to drain the oceans .. "a circular portal 10 meters in radius leading into space was created at the bottom of Challenger Deep,"

I want to get one thing out of the way first:

According to my rough calculations, if an aircraft carrier sank and got stuck against the drain, the pressure would easily be enough to fold it up[1] and suck it through. Cooool.

Just how far away is this portal? If we put it near the Earth, the ocean would just fall back down into the atmosphere. As it fell, it would heat up and turn to steam, which would condense and fall right back into the ocean as rain. The energy input into the atmosphere alone would also wreak all kinds of havoc with our climate, to say nothing of the huge clouds of high-altitude steam.

So let's put the ocean-dumping portal far away—say, on Mars. (In fact, I vote we put it directly above the Curiosity rover; that way, it will finally have incontrovertible evidence of liquid water on Mars's surface.)

What happens to the Earth?

Not much. It would actually take hundreds of thousands of years for the ocean to drain.

So the water goes to Mars.

The water pools in the North Polar Basin:

Gradually, it will fill the basin:

Frankly, I think this map is kind of boring; there's not a lot going on. It's just a big empty swath of land with some ocean at the top.

At this point, the water fills in the Valles Marineris, creating some unusual coastlines. The map is less boring, but the terrain around the great canyons makes for some odd shapes.

The water now reaches and swallows up Spirit and Opportunity. Eventually, it breaks into the Hellas Impact Crater, the basin containing the lowest point on Mars.

In my opinion, the rest of the map is starting to look pretty good.

As the water spreads across the surface in earnest, the map splits into several large islands (and innumerable smaller ones).

The water quickly finishes covering most of the high plateaus, leaving only a few islands left.

Let's take a closer look at the main islands:

Olympus Mons, and a few other volcanoes, remain above water. Surprisingly, they aren't even close to being covered. Olympus Mons still rises well over 10 kilometers above the new sea level. Mars has some huge mountains.

Those crazy islands are the result of water filling in 'Noctis Labyrinthus' ('the Labyrinth of the Night'), a bizarre set of canyons whose origin is still a mystery.

The oceans on Mars wouldn't last. There might be some transient greenhouse warming, but in the end, Mars is just too cold. Eventually, the oceans will freeze over, become covered with dust, and gradually migrate to the permafrost at the poles.[4]

However, it would take a long time, and until it did, Mars would be a much more interesting place.

When you consider that there's a ready-made portal system to allow transit between the two planets, the consequences are inevitable:

However, it would take a long time, and until it did, Mars would be a much more interesting place.

When you consider that there's a ready-made portal system to allow transit between the two planets, the consequences are inevitable:

from https://what-if.xkcd.com/54/

Earthquakes in Britain and Ireland. I remember one in the '80's one jolt. I thought it was a far away bomb , though my area is quake free here.

So what is Ireland doing wrong? Or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Impossible to know without a source for the above map.

I suspect that we simply didn't have the network capable of measuring the more minor stuff before 2018,

https://www.gsi.ie/en-ie/programmes-and-projects/geohazards/activities/Pages/Irish-National-Seismic-Network.aspx

whereas the English and the Scots were noting every time someone fell out of bed.

Yes, that was my thought too, it is very unlikely that Britain gets all those shakes and we get almost nothing. Can't say that I have ever been aware of an earthquake though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,444 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Earthquakes don't stop at political boundaries; seismometers in GB would pick up earthquakes in IRL and vice versa. Identifying the location of an earthquake requires triangulation between two or more seismometers - ideally several seismometers, at varying distances and in varying directions from the epicentre of the event. Political boundaries don't impact this at all.

But earthquakes are not randomly distributed; they cluster along particular geological features. A likely explanation for the pattern shown on the map is that GB UK on two such features and IRL does not.

Advertisement