Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The eviction ban

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

An absolute crock a sh1t this eviction ban. It's like they brought it in and that is it.....nothing more!!!!

The ban to me seemed like a "do what ya want there, lads. Landlords can't do a thing abut it. Pay the rent, don't pay the rent. You're grand. Selling the house? Not likely."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,440 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As I said a few posts above, the moratorium did not apply to delinquent tenants. It only postponed the eviction of tenants who were fulfilling their obligations i.e. if you had three years left to run on your lease and you never caused trouble or were never late with your payments, the moratorium prevented the landlord from unilaterally breaking that lease to turf you out.

I never mentioned delinquent tenants.

And let's be real: you cannot cover every possible scenario here. Plenty tenants could argue that they are fulfilling obligations: It's so far from black and white. And the ban gave tenants a real comfort blanket, and no way only the good and decent and 100 percent correct/compliant tenants were benefitting from it.

You said:

do what ya want there, lads. Landlords can't do a thing abut it. Pay the rent, don't pay the rent. You're grand. Selling the house? Not likely

Not paying your rent would make you a delinquent tenant. Moratorium would not be applicable to you. Things would proceed - however slowly - as if the moratorium never existed and would not be affected by it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I can't remember why the eviction ban was brought in the in the first place and if the government were bounced into it. Its like the brought in the eviction ban and did nothing just to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Hahahaha do people still think that the eviction ban covered people not paying rent? At least know the basic facts before throwing you oar in.

The number of landlords selling up in 2022 went up 300% on 2021 figures and that's with an eviction ban in place for the last 3 months of 2022, the government had to shore it up somehow to give them time to react and to prevent families being turfed out during the winter months. We will probably see similar figures in 2023 and will most likely have another ban come next winter. Rents will only continue to rise while the numbers of rentals available continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

fair enough, but if the perfect tenants that were never late once stop paying for reasons that are beyond their control, as a landlord you are still going to suffer the consequences of it. Tenants don't stop paying just because they can, in most cases they are incapable of making payments. There shouldn't be any scenario where the state can force the landlord to take the hit

• Advertisement

That is the feeling that I am getting and why I asked in my post where the government bounced into it and because of that just paid a lip service to putting services in place to help people who are going to get eviction notices. Only now with the prospect of nearly 5000 evictions notices been given did they try to do things.

The whole thing is a mess and it is going to take time for not only supply to come on board but also for the Local Authority to get their housing departments back up and running as well, as it seems that they are going to be getting back in property management again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Id be very surprised i fanyone not paying their rent got eveicted during the eviction ban. Actually even outside the eviction ban id say it would be hard fought to evict them.

I think the number will increase exponentially now. Everyone wants out. You are right, there will be another ban at the end of this year so i thin there is going to be a scramble to get out before then. Of course not all of them will be out for them. Those guys left will be rightly screwed at that point.

They showed a glimpse of the future and now the scramble to get out the door before they are locked in is on.

That's a different point. And has no relevance to the moratorium. The steps you'd have had to take if you tenant stopped paying on 31st October would have been the same regardless of whether there was a moratorium in place or not.

If you want to fix or change something, you first have to identify the cause of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭wetlandsboy

This is so true. Lack of discussion on this point is conspicuous by its absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Immigration should in theory encourage investment in property including buy/build to let/accidental landlordism, the current exodus of LLs is happening despite high rents and is in my mind because of the high level of uncertainty (close to 100 changes between statutory instruments and legislation and none in LLs favour in last few years) in B/BTL/ AL makes it a bad investment.

There is 3.45% available on deposits from Raisin.ie with none of the risk/uncertainty/hassle/opprobrium of being a LL and we are a bit away from SF temporarily banning bank withdrawals in order to keep their clients in Chinese takeouts and nose pilates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Sinn Fein laid the bait and the government walked straight into the trap, I couldn’t believe they brought in the ban. Sinn Fein are now doing a couple of things, trying to split the government on ending it, and prolonging the ban to a point where there’s a huge cliff edge and supply is seriously diminished, they would hope to either cause a general election or prolong the ban to a point that’s closer to the next election.

there will be huge fallout whenever the ban ends, prolonging it will make it worse, Gov has no choice but to rip the band aid off now, hope it doesn’t provoke an election and try and repair some of the damage that’s been done before the GE.

Tax breaks are their only realistic option to persuade landlords to stay and others to invest, but it may even be too late for that unless they were substantial.

FFFG were out manouvered by Sinn Fein, brilliant bit of politicking it has to be said. One things for sure Sinn Fein won’t be bringing in an eviction ban if they’re elected, not a chance they’ll point to the failure of this one as to why one shouldn’t be brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is a slippery slope disregard for private property rights among a lot of the commentary on this. In todays Irish Times some professor in Maynooth is telling tenants to simply stay in their rental property if they have no where to go.

So basically the criteria for hijacking someone's private property would be 'no where to go'.

Would there be a time limit on the repossession of these properties by tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

That guy is a Dole Before Work activist I think, last thing he wants is a solution.

• Advertisement

Very good points and spot on. It should be an ideal scenario for property letting, with increasing population/immigration and rents at record levels, but all the investors are leaving the market. The reasons are blatantly obvious.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Yes good points. SF are being very cynical and opportunistic, at a significant cost to renters who they really don't care about. The government were well meaning but, like everything they've touched on the rental market, didn't think it through and consider the all consequences - so made a total mess of it and made things worse. They're regretting the ban now big time!

Welcome to the world of populist politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Sinn Fein are unbelievably cynical and opportunistic. They are objecting to every single large-scale housing development in Dublin, delaying the provision of all types of housing.

Do you think FF or FG would not be as cynical if roles were reversed?

In my opinion I think the government missed a opportunity with the eviction ban. For me when the eviction ban was introduced they government should have set up a cross party committee to work on and come up with steps to address the issue. This way the government would have been putting it up to the opposition to get involved and not just sniping from the sidelines. Maybe it would have solved something, maybe not or are relations that poor between the government parties and those in opposition?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Theduke1960

I would agree with a cross party approach but the danger is SF would pitch ideas they know would not be acceptable.

It's a deplorable state of affairs. Private landlords are being told they can't sell their own property. During a ban so a lot will leave post ban or before the next one.

The government is nowhere near the level of housing it should provide.

They had no plan in place for the end of the ban.

The RTB is a joke beyond belief. Getting an email reply takes 6 weeks!

Unless the government offers very attractive tax incentives to keep landlords in the market they will continue to sell because investors hate uncertainty and that's what is our there

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

He isn't a professor he's a lecturer, not a great look for University of Maynooth, having faculty recommend that people break the law.

He is a failed PBP politician and has some book he is always promoting, so another character profiting from the housing mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I am neither a landlord or tenant, so no skin in the game here - but these are dangerous words from the Taoiseach, essentially telling tenants to overhold if served with an eviction notice.

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/03/24/judges-will-be-very-reluctant-to-enforce-evictions-leo-varadkar-says/

Evictions in Ireland can only be ordered by the courts,” Mr Varadkar told journalists on his way into the second day of an EU summit in Brussels this morning.

“People often mix up notices of termination with evictions...and I would expect those numbers to continue to be very small. And I can guarantee you that judges are very reluctant to evict people into homelessness.

The penny must not be dropping with the opposition that this is likely the main reason for the eviction notices and exodus of small landlords from the market. If the eviction ban had not been brought in in the first place a natural level of evictions would possibly have occurred (part and parcel of renting). The eviction ban has just encouraged many to bail out because they fear the unknown of not being in control of the property.

The government wasted the Eviction Ban, as it seems they have done nothing during the ban to elevate the problem. Yes they announced some things during the week but for most it maybe too little too late. As soon as they brought in the eviction ban they should have told LA's to get their houses in orders to deal with purchasing, distributing and maintaining the properties, then bring in some of the measures to give tenants first refusal and the LL an option to sell with Tenant in situ, more than likely to the LA's, and start that process within 3 months of the eviction ban coming in and then keep adding more so that when it got to this stage removing the eviction ban wouldn't have been an issue. Also as I said earlier, setting up a cross party committee to agree ways forward to deal with this and this way making everyone in the Dail accountable.

What is there now nearly 5,000 notices of termination have been sent to into the RTB from the third quarter of 2022, thats a lot of people looking for somewhere to live for which there is little supply. I know people will say but those properties will go to someone else to maybe buying but not that's not immediately, for most properties when the tenant leaves the place will have to be made ready for sale and that depending on the state of the place could be a week to a few months to when that property is on the market.

• Advertisement

This is paywalled, anyone able to copy and paste the SDs genius ideas to solve the housing crisis?

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/our-government-is-clearly-out-of-ideas-on-how-to-solve-the-housing-crisis-so-here-are-several-42400318.html

Advertisement